Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU dual OC GTX 580

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2011 5:40:06 PM

Im thinking of putting dual GTX 580 Graphics cards in my system and OC them. Ill also be OC a i7 2600k processor and have lots of fans running and 16 gb ram. will this PSU be alright.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is probably WAYY overkill for even maxed out overclock on the whole system with SLI GTX 580 so can anyone suggest a 1000W+ power supply that has a lot of connectors for fans for the antec 1200 case (adding the optional fans on the case as well and an optional fan on my cooler master hyper 212+

More about : psu dual gtx 580

a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 7:40:35 PM

The Newegg PSU product you linked does have an ON/OFF switch right below the power IN outlet.

If you are bent on getting a 1000 Watts PSU, take a look at this one (modular): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another option is a 850 Watts PSU (modular): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Regarding power for fans - you can connect all the fans by daisy-chaining them together. Fans draw very little power; less than 15 watts each.
m
l
April 4, 2011 12:44:32 AM

i changed the link to the PSU. click again and see if this one is ok
m
l
Related resources
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 1:47:50 AM

It's the same old link. Maybe reply to this and post the new link.
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:15:49 AM

I know lol. you must have read the forum after i updated it. the origional PSU i was going to use was this
which was the one without the on off switch. i forgot to take that part out so i was wondering what you were talking about for a minute
alot of people have been actually suggesting that power supply but its so expensive would the PSU that i suggested be high quality enough? and I actually dont know alot about the manufacturing company.
m
l

Best solution

a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 2:21:03 AM

This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... comes with two 8-pins power connectors which some of the high end motherboards require (EVGA Classified). And, Corsair is a known good brand.
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 2:22:36 AM

midget666 said:
I know lol. you must have read the forum after i updated it. the origional PSU i was going to use was this
which was the one without the on off switch. i forgot to take that part out so i was wondering what you were talking about for a minute
alot of people have been actually suggesting that power supply but its so expensive would the PSU that i suggested be high quality enough and I actually dont know alot about the manufacturing company.

Got it.
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:34:28 AM

Ubrales said:
This one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... comes with two 8-pins power connectors which some of the high end motherboards require (EVGA Classified). And, Corsair is a known good brand.

The one i suggested has all the connectors i need im just kinda wondering the quality of the brand. Do you know anything about the company that makes it?
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 2:42:45 AM

midget666 said:
The one i suggested has all the connectors i need im just kinda wondering the quality of the brand. Do you know anything about the company that makes it?

No, I don't know much about that company. Not enough data to make a determination.

However, I do know that Corsair PSUs (and RAM) are great and their tech support is superb! That is why I recommended Corsair. In my home built computer, I have Corsair HX-850 (well satisfied with performance), and now I wish I had purchased Corsair HX-1000 instead! I need two 8-pin CPU power connectors for my EVGA Classified motherboard (2nd. 8-pin connector for extreme overclocking). Thats why.

Also, the PSU is a critical part of the computer. Go Corsair!
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:44:42 AM

ah. well I just read a review from HAROCP and the end of the review stated the power supply i selected DC output was TERRIBLE. im going corsair all the way
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 2:47:04 AM

midget666 said:
ah. well I just read a review from HAROCP and the end of the review stated the power supply i selected DC output was TERRIBLE. im going corsair all the way

Totally agree with your choice of Corsair! The HX series are modular, and you can plug in just the cables that you need (less clutter and better air flow).
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:57:11 AM

Can you look at my build and tell me what you think of it? With the new PSU integrated with it
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 3:05:38 AM

midget666 said:
Can you look at my build and tell me what you think of it? With the new PSU integrated with it

Sure. I suggest you close this thread, select a 'Best Answer' and open a new thread in the "Systems" ---> "New Build" section. This way there will be more eyes looking at your selections. If you prefer, you may send me a private message and I will reply.
m
l
April 4, 2011 3:06:25 AM

Best answer selected by midget666.
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 3:07:47 AM

Thank you! The Corsair is a great choice!
m
l
April 4, 2011 3:44:30 AM

The forum is up. Its the 2.6k Hardcore Gaming Rig if you would like to comment. Setup the links all nice so it has the names of the parts. Took me like 30 minutes -_-.. lol
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 3:47:16 AM

midget666 said:
The forum is up. Its the 2.6k Hardcore Gaming Rig if you would like to comment. Setup the links all nice so it has the names of the parts. Took me like 30 minutes -_-.. lol

Hard work always pays off!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 4:16:17 PM
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 4:30:19 PM

Do you know the release date for the HX-1050? I have called Corsair on this.
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:00:30 PM

I looked at the reviews for the corsair HX1000 and it is powering tri SLI rigs with three GTX 285s and thats almost 800w alone without the OC CPU. and Ubrales isnt the only one to suggest it. its been suggested to me by like 5 other people on these forums.
ooooo kingwin has LED ^^ lol
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:10:38 PM

Ugh. Well I want a good PSU for this build as this is the first High performance computer im building and i know almost nothing about PSUs except their efficiency percentage and over watts. Corsair HX should do fine just cause its a year old doesnt make it a bad part. I am wondering how good are Rosewill PSUs? I found one that maybe I might pick over the corsair because its overall awesome and it has good ratings. If its a bad PSU ill go with corsair
Rosewill Lightning Series 1000W PSU
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 5:46:12 PM

midget666 said:
Ugh. Well I want a good PSU for this build as this is the first High performance computer im building and i know almost nothing about PSUs except their efficiency percentage and over watts. Corsair HX should do fine just cause its 3 years old doesnt make it a bad part.

fixed
its 3 years old to be exact and a lot can change in 3 years,would you buy 3 year old hardware at its original launch price?

you could also have a look at this

http://www.amazon.com/HALE90-Power-Supply-Modular-HALE9...

almost the same guts as the kingwin

Ubrales said:
Do you know the release date for the HX-1050? I have called Corsair on this.

late q2 or q3 was the rumor
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:57:37 PM

So is the Rosewill PSU I suggested suitable for my needs?
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 6:19:12 PM

midget666 said:
So is the Rosewill PSU I suggested suitable for my needs?

NO! I would not accept a Rosewill PSU as a gift! However, Rosewill external enclosure that I linked are great! Not their PSUs.

Stay with Corsair PSUs. Good quality, great support (I needed an extra 8-pin cable for my HX-850).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 6:19:34 PM

yes and no

abs only has one seriously good psu line the SL range which were all using enermax guts,the other abs power supplies range from average to kinda crap

the abs majesty gold is 1100 is better suited to being a 900watt psu since it gets a bit skittish at loads over 900 watts

tbh a good 850+ psu can handle sli 580's

this is currently a great deal

have a look here at what he tpq 1200 can do and its more recent sibling the hcp 1200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Dsg2thgVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtZdg3PvSQU
m
l
April 4, 2011 6:44:04 PM

-_- so confuzzled. One saying corsair. Another saying about 5 different brands. I think ill stick to corsair. Regardless of the PSUs age. Many people on the reviews on newegg have sent out reviews from late march of this year. Reporting things like tri SLI rigs on this Corsair HX1000. It seems to run fine. HARDOCP did a review showing the efficiency and power capacities of it. It was mind blowing how good this PSU did. Also why no Rosewill?
m
l
April 4, 2011 7:03:14 PM

I know of an 850W PSU made by corsair. Like I said idk too much about PSUs but wont 850W note be enough for dual heavily overclocked GTX 580s and a heavily overclocked i7 2600k? plus all the fans and lighting I have for my computer. Also added on is an external hard drive one SSD and one 2tb 7200 RPM HDD. I know the video cards and processor take majority of the power though
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:12:54 PM

midget666 said:
I know of an 850W PSU made by corsair. Like I said idk too much about PSUs but wont 850W note be enough for dual heavily overclocked GTX 580s and a heavily overclocked i7 2600k? plus all the fans and lighting I have for my computer. Also added on is an external hard drive one SSD and one 2tb 7200 RPM HDD. I know the video cards and processor take majority of the power though

Yes, the Corsair HX-850 (this is what I have) will serve your needs very well.
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:15:12 PM

Ubrales what is your rig? Also I think the 1000W system would make me feel more comfortable just for the sheer fact that dual SLI GTX 580 OC will draw alot of power and stress an 850W system more. 1000W will put me over what I need so im not always stressing the PSU so much. Plus the HX1000 has uber long cables and good cable management. Im only going to push my system to its max limits to show off and benchmark it. Otherwise usual use I may not even have to OC it cause I wont be playing UBER intensive games like Crysis Warhead.
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 9:27:14 PM

midget666 said:
Ubrales what is your rig? Also I think the 1000W system would make me feel more comfortable just for the sheer fact that dual SLI GTX 580 OC will draw alot of power and stress an 850W system more. 1000W will put me over what I need so im not always stressing the PSU so much. Plus the HX1000 has uber long cables and good cable management. Im only going to push my system to its max limits to show off and benchmark it. Otherwise usual use I may not even have to OC it cause I wont be playing UBER intensive games like Crysis Warhead.

My rig is under my member profile. Click on 'More Information' and then on 'Member Configuration'. I am also listing it below.

I wish I had purchased the HX-1000 instead of the HX-850! Maybe next time!

New build specs (built in December 2009):
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Mobo: EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1 Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 DO @ 2.66 GHz (OC to 3.81 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W RT
GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR - GTX 275 R (GeForce)
GPU: EVGA 512-P3-1140-TR - GTS 250 HDMI (GeForce) - PhysX
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 – (6x2GB) 12GB Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (PCIe) - un-installed - on-board sound is fine.
USB3 - EVGA PCIe Card - 2 ports
HDD: Seagate 1TB x3 (2 of these are in RAID1 for data) - ST31000528AS
Optical drives: Two R/W DVD
Linksys WMP600N Wireless dual band PCI card
Scythe Fans Controller
Logisys Multi card reader
Logitech MX518 Mouse
Monitor: Dell 2208WFP 22” LCD Monitor
Speakers: Bose Desktop Speakers
External backup: Seagate 1.5TB
m
l