Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard to use with AMD AM3 quad core processor Zosma 960T

Last response: in Motherboards
December 9, 2011 12:49:44 AM

Hey, I am trying to build a computer I can use for playing Starcraft II with decent graphics like the high setting at least and other games in the future like Diablo III.

So far I have bought:
From newegg, a Rosewill Challenger case, 8 GB G.Skill Ram DDR3-1600, AMD AM3 socket 3.0 gHz quad-core Phenom II Zosma Processor.
From Best Buy, a 1 terabyte 3gb/s 7200 RPM Barracuda HDD hard drive

I need to figure out which motherboard, video card, and power supply to buy.

I think the power supply needs to be at least 500 watts. I want the motherboard to have USB 2.0 and some USB 3.0 slots if I can. The motherboard will have to have, I believe, an AM3 or AM3+ socket and be compatible with Phenom II processors and DDR3-1600 RAM.

Any advice? I mainly use Newegg obviously but am up for suggestions. The thing I'm most confused about is the choice of motherboards. Which will do what I need it to do, still be likely usable for upgrades in the future and still be relatively inexpensive (preferably $120 or less)?
December 9, 2011 2:10:51 AM

I have a code for $10 off "select" biostar mobo's which expires 12/12/11 but it doesn't look like it applied when I added it to that one. :( 

How does this one measure up next to that, besides being cheaper, having more of a proportion of poor reviews and only one PCI express 2.0 x 16 slot (one x16, one x4)?

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2011 3:41:23 AM

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

This board seems to be the most direct competitor to the Gigabyte board and costs about $5 more if you are signed up for the 2 day free shipping deal or about $2.50 less if you aren't.

The two boards seem to be almost exactly the same, with the winner really determined more by whether or not you have the free 2 day shipping deal.

I am kinda partial to Asus motherboards myself so I would go that way regardless of my status with the free 2 day deal, but both companies are Tier 1 manufacturers so either should be as good as the other.

I would shy away from the Biostar motherboard myself. I hear they have made a lot of good progress lately in the motherboard space, but I think they still have quite some way to go to catch up to Asus/Gigabyte as well.
December 9, 2011 4:01:11 AM

I'm in the same boat when it comes to motherboards.
I was just trying to be helpfull. 2.0 x4 is ok for a crossfire or sli setup I think.
Hopefully someone will help.
good luck with your build,
m
l
December 9, 2011 2:43:58 PM

Will that fit inside the Rosewill Challenger mid-tower case I bought?

I measured between the screw holes on the inside and it looks like something 12'' by maybe 9.4" or less would fit but 9.6" might be too wide? Not sure. I've never built a computer before.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2011 6:32:35 PM

The marketing materials for the Rosewill Challenger says it fits both micro atx and regular atx. The Asus one I linked is regular ATX.

These sizes are all pretty standardized and Rosewill wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot by making a case that motherboards won't fit in.

I don't think you have anything to really worry about.

m
l
December 16, 2011 12:55:09 AM

Best answer selected by moosashi.
m
l
!