Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Static electricity = Monitor sleep mode?!?!?!

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2011 5:49:18 PM

All,

I've never had this problem before and can use your help.

I have a Corsair 700D case that I just built.
A few times when the system was on I touched the upper-left corner of the front panel and noticed a static electricty "pop". The monitor automatically goes into Sleep Mode (it goes black). The system and monitor are still on, but I can't do anything else. I have to manually power off the PSU to get the system back up and running.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening?
This never happened to previous systems I've owned (Gateway and Dell). I don't think it should ever be happening.

Please help! Thank you.

Jack500
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 7:20:40 PM

The static discharge must be probably triggering some circuit that is telling the monitor to go into the Sleep Mode. Probably a quirk inherent to this particular system.

Make sure that the grounding circuit at the wall outlet is fully functional. And make sure that 3-prong (with ground) power plugs are used for the computer as well as for the monitor.
m
l
April 3, 2011 7:30:04 PM

It think it is actually the video card that shuts down and not the monitor that goes into sleep mode.

Both monitor and system remain on, but the screen just goes black.
And again, I can't do anything but to manually shut off PSU and start over.
I am using 3-prongs and have a UPS as well.
I had a Dell retail PC hooked up in eactly the same spot for 4 years and never did I receive a static shock.

I am worried that damage is being done to the video card.
m
l
Related resources
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 7:52:17 PM

Static discharges are not good for any electronic devices!

Connect a separate ground wire to the computer chassis and attach the other end to the metal portion of an electrical outlet. This way, you are positive about the grounding and the electronic parts withing the computer will stay protected. A little overkill will help in this case.
m
l
April 3, 2011 9:53:54 PM

OK, I'm not familiar with the type of wire you're talking about.

Sheathed-ground wire?
8-gauge?
How can I attach to computer?
Attach the other end to the metal part of the electrical box? That would mean taking off the cover and leaving the electrical box exposed. Unless you meant something else (?)
m
l

Best solution

a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 10:02:03 PM

Jack500 said:
OK, I'm not familiar with the type of wire you're talking about.

Sheathed-ground wire?
8-gauge?
How can I attach to computer?
Attach the other end to the metal part of the electrical box? That would mean taking off the cover and leaving the electrical box exposed. Unless you meant something else (?)

14 Ga stranded wire will work fine - strip off about 1" of insulation from the ends - wrap one end of the bare wire to a screw on the computer (rear), and the other end to a screw on the metal part of the outlet box after you remove the outlet faceplate. Make sure you have a good electrical connection at both ends.
April 3, 2011 10:39:13 PM

Gotcha. As the only screws on the back of my case are the PSU screws (and I'm not going to ground it to those), I will tie one end through and around the mesh grill part of the case.

Do you think it would be beneficial to also have the PC sit on an anti-static mat?
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 10:49:24 PM

Jack500 said:
Gotcha. As the only screws on the back of my case are the PSU screws (and I'm not going to ground it to those), I will tie one end through and around the mesh grill part of the case.

Do you think it would be beneficial to also have the PC sit on an anti-static mat?

Yes, you got the idea! Secure the wire under a case screw. This way it will provide a good electrical connection and also will not be affected (corrosion) by the elements.

Regarding the anti-static mat, actually, it is the other way around. YOU should be on an anti-static mat, but that would be overkill. Not necessary. Leave the computer where it is.
m
l
April 3, 2011 11:08:09 PM

I'll most probably have to buy a screw and a nut with plastic threads (so the screw stays put) when I attach one end into and through the mesh in the back of the case. The only screws in the back are for the PSU and exhaust fan and I don't want to mess with either of them.

NOTE TO OTHER PEOPLE READING THIS
Before even taking the face plate off the electrical outlet, shut the breaker off at the main panel. No need to fry yourself.

Thanks a bunch, Ubrales! It's helpful people like you who make visiting and participating in this forum such a delight.
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 11:11:43 PM

Jack500 said:
I'll most probably have to buy a screw and a nut with plastic threads (so the screw stays put) when I attach one end into and through the mesh in the back of the case. The only screws in the back are for the PSU and exhaust fan and I don't want to mess with either of them.

NOTE TO OTHER PEOPLE READING THIS
Before even taking the face plate off the electrical outlet, shut the breaker off at the main panel. No need to fry yourself.

Thanks a bunch, Ubrales! It's helpful people like you who make visiting and participating in this forum such a delight.

Thank you Jack! Your kind words of appreciation are a great reward!
m
l
April 3, 2011 11:19:18 PM

Best answer selected by Jack500.
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
April 3, 2011 11:27:06 PM

Thank you!
m
l