Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bottom mounted PSU upside-down?

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2011 6:37:25 PM

I have a Rosewill Challenger case which has a bottom mounting for the power supply, and a Seasonic x650 PSU which has a fan on the bottom. Should I mount the PSU right side up with the fan facing downward (and then be forced to put the tower on my desk somewhere? Or can I mount the PSU upside down to pull air in from the case? The seasonic manual indicates the PSU should face the motherboard.

Thanks
a c 91 ) Power supply
April 3, 2011 6:46:45 PM

IMO, it does not matter that much.. Do as suggested in the manual.. Especially If your case does not have enough clearance from below.. It would help lowering down your case temp further by a degree or two..
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2011 6:52:12 PM

Looks like there are vents in the bottom of the case. Mount the PS fan side down to pull in fresh air from the outside of the case thru the vents in the floor of the case.

NOTE: if your floors are carpeted, be sure the vent in not blocked by the carpet. I just set my computers up on a small piece of wood to avoid blocking the vents...

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2011 6:53:28 PM

Ah those "fan facing the motherboard directions.." are most like for cases that mount the power supply in the Top of the case, instead of on the bottom...

m
l
April 3, 2011 7:54:44 PM

jb6684 said:
Looks like there are vents in the bottom of the case. Mount the PS fan side down to pull in fresh air from the outside of the case thru the vents in the floor of the case.

NOTE: if your floors are carpeted, be sure the vent in not blocked by the carpet. I just set my computers up on a small piece of wood to avoid blocking the vents...

thanks for the feedback. I do have a carpeted floor, so I'll either get that piece of wood or place the system on my desk.
m
l
April 3, 2011 7:54:54 PM

Best answer selected by alduron.
m
l
!