Motherboard won't boot with Ram in 3rd and 4th slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPeezy21

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hello, I recently purchased an i5-2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H B3 1155 motherboard. I've assembled builds before but this time I have a problem installing memory.

Whenever I try to put ram in the 3rd and/or 4th slots from the cpu, the computer would turn and off repeatedly. However, when I put either 1 or 2 sticks of memory in the first 2 slots, it boots up fine and I am able to load into Windows. I'm not quite sure what the problem is, I tried two different types of memory, 4gb of Corsair 1600mhz and 8gb of Corsair XMS3 1333mhz ram. The computer would do the same thing for either if they were put in the 3rd and 4th slots (I didn't put the 1600mhz and 1333mhz sticks in together.)

A friend suggested my motherboard could be the culprit but I decided to ask you all first.

Computer Tech Level: Moderate

CPU: i5-2500k
PSU: OCZ 650 Watt
Mobo: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 1155
RAM: Tried both Corsair 1333mhz and 1600mhz
Cooler (Don't know if it matters): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

madoddvibe

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I have the EXACT same problem! Also just got a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with i5-2500K... 1 stick works fine in one of the first 2 slots (labelled DDR3_2 or DDR3_4). Try in a different position, or add a second stick and it powers on and off repeatedly.

I've tried updating the BIOS to the latest version (F10) - no change.

Any help would be appreciated!! :(

CPU: intel i5 2500k
PSU: Silverstone 750W
MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM (2 x 4gb ideally!)

madoddvibe

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
OK, I did a bit more digging on the interwebs, and have fixed the problem (for me, anyway).

LPeezy21: if you are reading the manual that came with your motherboard, my advice would be to throw it in the bin. Or burn it ceremoniously - whichever you prefer. It is useless.

The manual says to put your RAM in the slots labelled DDR3_1/DDR3_2 or DDR3_3/DDR3_4 - which from the left are either the 1st & 3rd, or 2nd & 4th slots.

THIS IS WRONG.

I put my RAM in the first two slots from the left - i.e. DDR3_2 and DDR3_4. It is now working perfectly.

From what others are saying online, it should work fine with all 4 slots occupied, but if you're only using 2 slots, it usually has to be the first two from the left. Apparently this is the way most motherboards are designed to work, so I don't know how they managed to mess up so badly when printing the manual. HOORAY FOR WASTING HOURS OF TIME UNNECESSARILY!!! :D

ekb606

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Sorry, but your are only partially right, the board works fine with the Corsair RAM installed in what Gigabyte calls channel B, but it will not work with four sticks installed or with any RAM at all installed in either of the Channel A slots, not even if you just install a single stick of tested and proven RAM.

For some odd reason, the Board BIOS does not seem to recognize Corsair Vengeance RAM in Channel One. Does anyone know of a setting to overcome this?

Thanks

G

My gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 is doing the same thing. i swapped out my processor from a phenom to an athlon. after changing the processor, i found it would only boot with the memory sticks in the first 2 slots. it runs, however, CPUZ shows it running in single channel. have you checked that? i tried booting with only 1 stick in all 4 slots and it will no boot in the 3rd and 4th slot. when i had the phenom in, i could run the memory in the 1st and 3rd slots or 2nd and 4th slots to get dual channel. now i dont. i have no idea what happened to the 3rd and 4th slots. as near as i can figure, they have died.

ekb606

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
You are absolutely right, mine shows that my dual-channel memory is only running in single-channel mode.

More mysteriously Gig's Touch Bios says my DDR3 1600 Ram is running at 1333 while CPUz says the DRAM frequency is only 665.2.

Since that is pretty much exactly half of 1333, I'm assuming that maybe CPUZ is giving me the same number in a different way (I'm not at all expert in CPUZ).

But I don't know for sure and would appreciate someone explaining a few of these mysterious things to me.

As for the original problem with the board no supporting four sticks of RAM, from what I've read the board is simply trash by design. So while it might run correctly if I tried three or four different brands of RAM in it and got lucky, I'm really thinking it might be easier and less frustrating long term to RMA the board while I still can and start over with something that's got a better rep.

Truth is, while this isn't a high-end motherboard, it is far from a low-end one -- anything between $150 and $175 is hardly cheapo in the MB world these days. Therefore the fact that slots three and four aren't compatible with RAM that runs fine in Slots one and two (and vice-versa) is totally unacceptable.

Apr 12, 2012
What was the fix for this?
I am having exactly the same problem with a gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3. The 2 slots closest to the CPU won't work but the two closest to the edge will work (in any combination).

Much appreciated man. ******* hell gigabyte :)

lpeezy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Hey sorry for the late reply guys but I ended up returning that board and got a replacement. I actually bought two of them (one for me and one for a friend) and only one of them had that problem so I guess there was something wrong with the board.

marathawarrior

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Well, when I bought this Mobo GA-890GPA-UD3H and Processor Phenom II X6 1055t I already had my 2 Transcend 4GB DDR3 Rams and when a 3rd Ram was installed the pc was not booting all fans we're working but it didn't boot. The shopkeeper worked for couple of hours on it and got it working I tried to ask him what happened and how he got it running but no good answer from him. So, recently to clean the pc I removed the Rams and now again I can work with only 2 Rams if I install a 3rd one it doesn't boot at all. Hope someone tells me how to get this fixed.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
IF 1-2 or 3-4 aren't working try loosening the CPU cooler, then snug it back down, oft times if the cooler is too tight in 1 corner or on one side it throws the CPU off in the socket so it doesn't have level contact on all pins, that often affects one of the memory channels....if it's and AMD build can be same - but also check for bent/broken pins

marathawarrior

Distinguished
May 19, 2011

Might be the problem as per I remember for the first time when I removed my CPU Fan and the processor it was tight on one side as per my board is fitted inch to inch in a mid tower atx cabinet. Also I've seen the shopkeepers here applying Fevicol Adhesive instead of thermal paste.

marathawarrior

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hey thank you soo much, finally my ram is working I tried it in 3rd slot but then I had to put it in 4th slot. Also when I checked "My Computer"->"Properties" I found it showing the 3rd RAM installed as it now shows 12 GB RAM. But, just next to the 12 GB RAM it says
(only 3.00 GB usable) please can you explain me why is this happening? . I can't multi-client now that the RAM is so low and my PC freeze like every 20 mins and I have to warm boot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.