Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 to iMac printing

Last response: in Networking
June 18, 2010 4:37:51 AM

My iMac is connected to the Airport wireless router which sends the wireless signal to a Win 7 PC. The iMac is hardwired to the printer

I have another Mac that is connected wirelessly and I intuitively setup file and printer sharing.

But I am having problem getting my Window 7 computer to see the iMac that is hardwired to the wireless Airport router and the printer.

I would like to view files on the iMac and use the printer with the Windows 7 computer.

Any thoughts?

More about : windows imac printing

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 18, 2010 6:44:24 AM

From my limited experience of wireless printing it was necessary to have the right driver for the printer installed on the client computer (your Win 7 PC).

Once you add Mac vs PC to the mix, things may get more complex.
m
l
June 20, 2010 2:27:53 AM

Following the instruction on my printers website (Brother), it says to go to Devices and Printers and select Add a Printer. Going here I select Add a Printer then "The Printer that I want isn't listed". Then "Select a shared printer by name". and I get a list of the computers that are on my home network. So I choose the iMac that is the main one being that the printer is hardwired to it and also the wireless router.

But Windows asks me for a Network Password. So I try the password that I use for my Administer login but that does not work. I don't use another password that I know of. I try the network password which is different but that does not work either.

Not very intuitive.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 20, 2010 7:34:52 AM

Try turning off wireless security temporarily and see if that makes any difference.

Make sure Windows (and any added program's) firewall is off until the connection is established.
m
l
!