Quietest Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone

I have recently bought a Sony Vaio which has turned out to a be a big
mistake due to it being too noisy. I am therefore going to take it part
and instead purchase a laptop that is much quieter.

Does anyone know what are the quietest laptops one can at the moment?

Kind regards

Libsfan01

Thanks Duncan but does it matter which model of Apple you buy? Are the
Ibooks quieter than Powerbooks for example and is there a difference
between Ibook models?

Kind regards

libsfan01

Before u dump the Sony, Have you set the Power Profile to "quiet"
mode? The Power Profile utility should be under to Sony folder.

Otherwise I heard from one poster that the toshiba satellite pro
430cdt runs so cool, the fan never comes on!

The Apple Ibook - it's so quiet you really can't hear it without putting
your ear against it. Otherwise general rule of thumb - 4200rpm fluid
bearing harddrives, and energy-efficient processor (i.e. Pentium M). Also,
sometimes the GPU can be noisy as it is on my laptop. Duncan.
"libsfan01" <marcrice20@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I have recently bought a Sony Vaio which has turned out to a be a big
> mistake due to it being too noisy. I am therefore going to take it part
> and instead purchase a laptop that is much quieter.
>
> Does anyone know what are the quietest laptops one can at the moment?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Libsfan01

jw

"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Before u dump the Sony, Have you set the Power Profile to "quiet"
> mode? The Power Profile utility should be under to Sony folder.
>
> Otherwise I heard from one poster that the toshiba satellite pro
> 430cdt runs so cool, the fan never comes on!

I'm sitting at a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420cdt and it is quiet. The fan
almost never comes on. On the other hand my Gateway that just died ( it was
only a year and two weeks old) had the loudest fan I have ever heard -- and
it was on almost all of the time. It was very annoying. I'm almost glad it
died.

JW

libsfan01 <marcrice20@msn.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know what are the quietest laptops one can at the moment?

I have a Dell Latitude X300 at work and I find it pretty quiet.
The fan and hard drive are inaudible in my office environment.
When the drive spins down while I run on batteries, I only notice
because the faint vibration stops under my wrist.

I'm using an Averatec 3200 right now. The fan can be VERY loud,
but if properly configured the fan stays off. I'm in a quiet room
so I can hear the disk drive's high-pitched hiss. The drive isn't
loud, mind you, it's just one of those faint sounds that get to you
without being noticed. Hmmm, why don't I enable laptop-mode.
There. Aaaahhhh, complete silence.

This is with Linux. The few times I used Windows XP I remember
the fan coming on intermittently, but maybe that can be fixed:
there is a PowerNow driver at the Averatec web site (PowerNow
is AMD's CPU frequency control for the Athlon).
http://www.averatec.com/customercare/3200dl.htm

--
pa at panix dot com

I'm using a dell X200 (darn you Pierre Asselin.. lol) and its really
quiet. I also own a sony vaio FXA49, and the fan was LOUD until I
turned on quiet power mode.

The quiet mode doesnt work for very long i had it on from the start
when i got the machine but now it only delays the inevitable heating up
of the machine. Vaio power managment is the problem i think bcos when i
turn it off it doesnt get AS loud. I'm never buying a Vaio again thats
for sure i heard they use cheap hardware

Not sure - I would imagine powerbooks would be the same. Looking at the
other posts here, I would think that the Apple's are quieter. My laptop is
pretty quiet - in that I can leave it running in my quiet room with a faint
hum - it's a thinkpad T40. But in order for it to be quiet, the fan mustn't
be on (but rarely goes on anyway), and the processor has to be throttled to
adaptive speed. Even if everything is on full, I can't imagine it could be
heard in an office. But the Apple iBook I had a look at is so quiet that
you really had to put your ear against the case. It was quite a high-spec
laptop, but can't imagine that'd make a difference- except for the harddrive
(ask if it's a quiet one).