3x HD 6970 VS. 2x HD 5970

The 5970 is already internally a dual GPU card, where each portion/half has 1 GB of memory (not enough for some of newest DX11 titles at highest 2560x1600 res with enthusiast level AA/AF above 4x)...; the 5970 already supports three monitors.

I've not seen any reviews of dual 5970's, effectively Quad-Crossfire, and am not sure it is even possible...

SOme X58 boards for sure support 3/4 way SLI....; is there even a 3 way X-Fire?

ONce you have so much gpu power that the video is not the bottleneck, then the cpu typically becomes the bottleneck; if you lower the resolution and your framerate increases, then the gpu is still the bottleneck. With three monitors of decent size, depending on AA/AF settings (I'd use no AA/AF if running 3), I'd imagine the gpu is still the bottleneck.

My question for you ketsuri, why would you even spend that much with Antilles coming out? Also, not only Antilles but both cards run hot, I'd just wait for a non-reference design of the 69xx series.

Also.... 6950 Crossfire is already ALOT of firepower, why on earth do you need tri-6970's? or even 5970 quadfire.