Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 SLI vs GTX 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2010 5:17:22 AM

So i been looking at this new GTX 580 Asus OC and im pretty much craving it, i have GTX 460 SLI with a Q9650 OC to 3.2 should i upgrade to the GTX 580 or is my SLI combo good? i asked because i been playing some games (cod black ops mafia 2 dead rising etc etc) all in high resolution of 1920 x 1080 and all settings on high and i do get frame drop very noticeable

More about : gtx 460 sli gtx 580

a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 7:51:45 AM

If you already have 2 GTX 460's,then keep them.Because in most games they perform pretty much like a GTX 580.
About your FPS drop,well cod black ops have some issues with dual GPU setups.
And in Mafia II,turn off PhysX and see if it helps.
m
l
November 10, 2010 6:53:26 PM

Maziar said:
If you already have 2 GTX 460's,then keep them.Because in most games they perform pretty much like a GTX 580.
About your FPS drop,well cod black ops have some issues with dual GPU setups.
And in Mafia II,turn off PhysX and see if it helps.

See thats the other thing about SLI there is always some problems with it, i think a nice very powerful single GPU like a GTX 580 will do the job, and sell my GTX 460, and down the road i can always SLI the 580 budget is not an issue, the newegg prefer account offers no interest for 12 months, with approval of course
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 7:18:24 PM

I generally agree with Maziar but can see where you are coming from. As long as you don't expect any performance increase then i would say that its a viable thing to do. you say budget isnt an issue and as you said SLI does have issue the same as Crossfire so it would remove those issues.
Chances are some games may actually run slower but they would be few and far between i would think.
So basically as long as you know it guarantees you nothing but maybe piece of mind that you wont end up with a unsupported game then go for it.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
November 10, 2010 8:30:14 PM

mactronix said:
I generally agree with Maziar but can see where you are coming from. As long as you don't expect any performance increase then i would say that its a viable thing to do. you say budget isnt an issue and as you said SLI does have issue the same as Crossfire so it would remove those issues.
Chances are some games may actually run slower but they would be few and far between i would think.
So basically as long as you know it guarantees you nothing but maybe piece of mind that you wont end up with a unsupported game then go for it.

very good explanation and very good answer thanks. i was looking at the details and specs of the 580 compare to the 460 and in every single way it has more power,on paper looks like it would out perform my current setup. last thing with my cpu (Q9650 oc to 3.2) it wont bottleneck?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 8:55:01 PM

I highly doubt it. If there is a restriction i further doubt it would be noticeable.

m
l
November 11, 2010 4:44:46 AM

Nice i just check the UPS tracking the 580 will arrive friday, ill post some thoughts on it later on that day
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 11, 2010 11:08:55 AM

In games that support SLI,you may even sometimes see a performance drop but expect the same performance in most games.
Hope you enjoy it though,its a great card
m
l
November 13, 2010 5:19:14 AM

Alright so i got the card today had a busy day, just now got home i install the card didnt run into any problems first thing i did was to set the fan level to 100% im impress even at 100% is not that loud. So i ran 3D mark vantage my previous score with the SLI GTX 460 was 17,247 no i ran it with the GTX 580 new score is 21,671.. thats a very good increase the video card score by it self score is 20501, all i can say so far is that this card is worth every penny. i havent try any high end games yet i will do that tmw and post the result
m
l
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 1:42:31 AM

Was that vantage score in P or E? If it was in P looks like you did not have Sli enabled. If in E then Sry
m
l
!