Computer keeps freezing if left idle

Psycho695

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi, I've been having serious issues with my computer. I've recently downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials which found several exploits, a few trojan/trojan downloaders, and even a malicious program. (Power Regulator or something like that) I've quarantined all that, and thought it would be fine. However, my computer keeps freezing. 90% of the time it's after it's been left idle for 10 minutes or longer. Rarely, but on occasions it will freeze while in use. I'm also getting a double beep on start up. I also ran a diagnostic tool I found, and it says that I need to check the cord to my C:/ drive. However, Chkdsk said my C:/ drive was fine. I'm really at a loss for what to do.

Psycho695

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I forgot the system specs.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-6712
BIOS: Version 07.00T
Processor: AMD Duron(tm), MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1280MB RAM
Page File: 821MB used, 1079MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video Card:
Card name: Diamond S9250 PCI 256 DDR
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9250 AGP (0x5960)

That should be just about everything to help troubleshoot.

I would first back up any photos/files that are considered important...

Gather your mainboard/video card/etc. drivers....

Delete your partition, recreate your main partition(s), quick format, and start over....; 99.99% of virus/malware/etc., is for darn sure gone now.....

You might want to check your power saving features, and disable them, perhaps your drive is set to spin down at 10 minutes of inactivity, and having issues spinning back up when coming out of idle...?

Psycho695

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
First off, I've already checked the power saving features, none of it is on. Another problem may be that I have 3 hard drives. Perhaps they are just overheating? C: has Windows. IF I knew where to find and how to back my drivers up, that might be an option. I'm afraid to reformat without all my drivers ready to go. However I doubt that is causing the freezing issue i'm having. I did a bit of research, and the double beep usually has to do with the RAM or the port that houses the RAM. I'm wondering if that diagnostics tool has any validity to it.