Please help me choose a video card

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Ok, so the story is this: i was just planning on making a new rig (i generally make one every 3 years, which i don't modify at all in those 3 years unless something breaks down), which will be mainly, if not entirely for gaming.

I know i will be getting an i7 960 CPU and an Asus Rampage III motherboard (extreme, or gene, depending on my video card choice(s)), 1600mhz ram (6 or 12 gb, haven't decided yet; i know 6 might be enough for gaming, but i usually like to open tens of webpages at the same time, music, and sometimes even multiple instance of games - like WoW, for example - ), all powered by this PSU: Sirtec HPC-G14C 1200W. Also, the resolution i will be playing at will be 1920x1200.

Now, here's the "fun" part: i was almost dead set on getting 2x GTX 470s in sli, since i figured those would be the best bang for the buck (as opposed to single gtx 480, or hd5970), and i like nVidia as a personal choice. I was thinking *MAYBE* i would get a 3rd, in the future, if i wanted more power (assuming i had the rampage III extreme). But today i visit the site of the retailer where i decided to buy it all from (i live in Eastern Europe) and i see they are offering preorders for 580 GTX, which will arive in 8 days (or so they say), at a just slightly higher price than the 2 GTX 470s. And this is where hell broke loose again for me, since, again, i have no clue what damn video card to get.

As far as performance, i saw the guru3d review of the GTX 580 single, and sli, and the 2x sli GTX 470s do a lot better vs a single GTX 580. But as far as future proofing, i don't know if it would be better to get a single GTX 580 now, and *MAYBE* get a second if they become singnificantly cheaper in the future.

Also, i need to clarify, the reason why i'm here, and why i dont just get the 2x 470s (considering they have better performance) is because anything i play (which is pretty much everything) is already preordered and on my desktop the day it ships, and that usually means SLI / Xfire bugs and stuff, which leads to needing to wait for patches.

So, considering all i said, this is my question: should i get:
(1) 2x 470gtx in sli, with the possibility of getting a 3rd in the future (although i'm not too happy about spending any more money on this rig in the future, plus i'd have to get the Extreme version of the Rampage III, for the 3rd pci-e, which is also more expensive)
(2) a single 580gtx, and *IF* the price goes significantly down in the future consider adding a 2nd (although, as i said, i'm not particularly fond of spending even more cash on this rig in the future, even though i would save a bit by getting the Gene version of the Rampage III)

6GB would be overkill for music/web surfing + Gaming. I use just 3GB for my Gaming PC and its plenty.

2 x GTX470's are definately the better bang for buck considering there recent price drops, You always pay a high premium for the fastest GPU, So the GTX580 isn't really a good price/performance Card at the moment.

I'd personally go for 2 x GTX470's

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Firstly, are you sure 6gb is plenty? Ofc i could always add another 6gb if i wanted, and not just get 12gb from the get-go, but like i said, i HATE investing money in the rig once i buy it (i usually save up and make one big investment that lasts quite a bit).

Secondly, 2x GTX 470 are indeed more bang for the buck *RIGHT NOW*, but keep in mind i'm really more interested in future proofing. Also, as far as i'm concerned, i spend the exact same cash of i get the GTX 580, because i'll just dump the Rampage III Extreme (with 4 pci-e) and just get the Gene version (with just 2); so as far as money goes, the 2 options i presented are equal.

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
omgitzfatal, you misunderstood me, my options are 1x 580, vs 2x470; i can't afford 2x 580, but it might be a future consideration, as would 3x470 (so then, the comparison becomes 2x580 vs 3x470). But like i said before, even though i'm willing to put in some extra cash in the rig in the future, i would really like to avoid it.

As far as monitors go, i'll be using this primary: Asus VW266H (1920x1200) and LG PK550 (50 inch HDTV 1920x1080) as a secondary monitor for PC games that have good controller support. To make it clear i will NOT be using both at the same time, it's always one or the other.

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I reckon go with the GTX 580. It's an amazing card, and more than capable of handling whatever you throw at it. When the time comes when it begins to struggle, a second 580 GTX will be cheaper and more viable than at present. And they do scale very well.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

it's not really plent... I use 4gb and frequently am using 75% EASY, so saying that 3 is plenty you must run xp with all your services off or something

Nope not at all, Running Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium. Got IE open, Steam, MSN, Anti VIR, Windows updates ETC... all whilst gaming, uses about 2GB on average, Highest I've seen it was 2.5Gb, that was when I had BCBC2 on the go aswell as photoshop and Dreamweaver. ;)

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

crazy! I'm on windows 7 64bit ulti, with msi afterburner mozilla coretemp and task manager running at 1.8gigs, and running a game often takes 1-2 gigs depending on the game... I often "almost" capout

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
to stay on topic though 6 gigs is totally fine 12 is way overkill unless you leave 20 youtube videos open on your browser while doing photo/video editing while playing a game

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

The topic wasn't really how many gigs of ram to get (though what you guys said has been informative), but rather what video card(s) to aquire. Hope i didn't sound like an asshole, but it's the truth.