New Gainward GTX460 not detected by monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahcen86

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Please can you provide me with some assistance. Yesterday I received my new Gainward GeForce GTX 460 GS - 1024 MB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (N1040-1190) card (purchased on pixmania.ie). I have been unable to install my new card. My old card was a PNY - Geforce GTS 8800 640mb, and my mother board is a relatively new ASUS sli compatible, (I have it about 2 years now) so I am sure there is no computability issues. Im running windows 7 32bit, with a dual core intel cpu, and 3gb of GDDR5 ram (GDDR may be wrong here, I cant remember) I have followed the in box instructions, and uninstalled all my old drivers for the old card. I then replaced my old card, with my new GTX460 making sure the card was securely inserted and mounted into the PCI-E card slot. I have a 6 pin PSU cable connected into one of the connector slots on the GTX460 (same connect as for my 8800 GTS0, which is required in the manual. When I boot my machine, It seems to start normally, (i.e. no weird beeps to suggest incorrect insertion of the card). However, I do not get any signal from the card on my monitor, I have tried my new and old monitor, using all connection types (vga, dvi, hdmi), but nothing seems to work. The instructions say that windows should detect my new card and install generic drivers until it boots successfully, then I will be able to update to the latest driver. I have replaced my old card and everything works perfectly. I have no idea what to do next. Can you please give me some advice. Is it possible m card arrived faulty? Any help on this matter will be much appreciated.

lahcen86

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

I lasted updated it a few days ago id say. I have received a response from the gainward support team. They said that both PCI-E slots on the gtx 460 need to be connected to my PSU. I have only tried booting the system with one PCI-E cable connected. Im not sure if I have two PCI-E connectors from my PSU though. Are you aware of the PSU needs for this card?

lahcen86

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
My PSU is a ANTEC Truepower 2.0 550w. I know this PSU is well able to handle the gtx460, but last night in my hast I wasn't looking for the second PCI cable to connect to the second slot on the card. This has to be the problem. Unfortunately im in work at the moment so I can't check if there is a second cable present, There has to be (hopefully). I'll let you know if this solves the problem. Thanks for the advice mate.

:D

lahcen86

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
So yes, it turns out im an idiot. The second PCI-e cable was the problem. I didn't realize that the best of a card that is the GTX460 needed two power cables. Plus my old card only had one. Now its running fine, and looks awesome. I highly recommend the gainward GTX460 1gb version. Its a great card. I can max out Crysis and still get a dependable FPS of around 35-40, so Im happy with the performance. Cheers for the help man.

Status
Not open for further replies.