Core i5 2500 k overclocking

neo700

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
hi guys

i am building a gaming rig, and i want to install core i5 2500k. i have no overclocking experience and i have read some where that overclocking reduces the age of processor overtime and it may damage the processor and its warranty cannot be claimed.now i want your help in this regard. as i want to overclock my cpu but i dont want to damage it. i have saved for 7 months just to buy core i5 2500K rig but i also want to safely overclock it so that my cpu is not affected
secondly temp in my city rises to about 48 degrees in summer and its really hot and i dont have an AC in my room where i will be keeping my system.so how can i overclock my system safely? and what should be the temps of the cores where there is no risk of CPU getting damaged?

thanks

Solution
There is no really "safe" overclock -- any time you run any component past its specifications you shorten its service life. Thankfully, modern CPUs are designed for a service life of 10 years, so you can overclock pretty far and still be at least somewhat assured of the CPU outliving its usefulness.

To keep an overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU happy:
Keep the CPU voltage lower than 1.4v for an everyday overclock.
Keep the temps lower than 75ºC peak for an everyday overclock.

Oh, and make absolutely sure you get 1.5v spec RAM, and don't ever run the DRAM Voltage higher than 1.6v or you risk damage to the CPU's memory controller.

MadCatz900

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Overclocking probably does reduce the cpu's lifetime but you will be upgrading again soon well before the cpu would break. If your room gets really hot you should get a case with as many fan slots as possible on it and install some good fans.

There is no really "safe" overclock -- any time you run any component past its specifications you shorten its service life. Thankfully, modern CPUs are designed for a service life of 10 years, so you can overclock pretty far and still be at least somewhat assured of the CPU outliving its usefulness.

To keep an overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU happy:
Keep the CPU voltage lower than 1.4v for an everyday overclock.
Keep the temps lower than 75ºC peak for an everyday overclock.

Oh, and make absolutely sure you get 1.5v spec RAM, and don't ever run the DRAM Voltage higher than 1.6v or you risk damage to the CPU's memory controller.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS