Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Remote Access of Win7 box...

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2009 3:38:15 PM

Hello -

I've just recently built a Windows 7 box (home pro 64-bit) that's replacing an old XP box. I used to run UltraVNC on that XP machine and I'm wondering if it's still my best bet for the new Windows 7 machine?

More about : remote access win7 box

a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2009 6:16:03 PM

W7 remote desktop is a lot better than the old XP version and more secure.
m
l
December 30, 2009 9:01:30 PM

Is the Windows remote the only client you can use to access or is there a third-party you can use to access?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 31, 2009 5:19:34 AM

If you use the windows remote desktop service then ya the windows client is the only one you can use. I don't like VNC much because of the large bandwidth usage.

What are your requirements? IE passing through a firewall or pesonal router?

I still like the MS client and I just port forward the RDP port, crap I forget the port #. Aahh it's 3389.

Also www.logmein.com is a web based remote application and you get 5 clients for free, I use it to admin my mothers/grandmothers computers and it works great because I don't have to walk my family through port forwarding or any of that.
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2009 5:23:42 AM

www.teamviewer.com, is by far the best and fastest I have ever personally used, and its free for non commercial.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2009 8:03:21 AM

I access my server via W7 remote desktop over a N wireless full screen, with all the bells and whistles, while wife and daughter are on the web and my son is playing COD, Arma II online over same N link, is as good as sitting in front of it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 31, 2009 1:38:23 PM

boonality said:
If you use the windows remote desktop service then ya the windows client is the only one you can use.

nope, there are some linux programs that can use the RDP protocol (KDE has one built in, forgot what it is called)
m
l
December 31, 2009 2:36:34 PM

boonality said:

What are your requirements? IE passing through a firewall or pesonal router?
I still like the MS client and I just port forward the RDP port, crap I forget the port #. Aahh it's 3389.

In the past I would run Dynamic DNS Free on the XP box and forward the port requests from my wireless N router to that box. I ran TightVNC but switched to UltraVNC for the added security. I'd log into the XP machine periodically from my office to do a number of things (start a download, check out how a site rendered from home rather than the office, etc.).
boonality said:

Also www.logmein.com is a web based remote application and you get 5 clients for free

Is this fairly secure?
m
l
January 21, 2010 2:21:18 PM

I have yet to solve this issue so I was wondering if anyone has any input on my questions above? Thanks.
m
l
January 21, 2010 2:28:11 PM

Logmein uses standard 443 (it's web based, Active X or Java to be exact... you can choose which in opttions) and passwords, the passwords are obviously as strong as you make them.
m
l
January 23, 2010 1:26:11 AM

try www.lanoninternet.com

its a multipurpose software where u can completely access a computer remotely.we can play lan games over internet without port forwarding.. :wahoo: 
m
l
February 1, 2010 6:39:06 PM

Best answer selected by comsat.
m
l
!