Remote Access of Win7 box...

Comsat

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hello -

I've just recently built a Windows 7 box (home pro 64-bit) that's replacing an old XP box. I used to run UltraVNC on that XP machine and I'm wondering if it's still my best bet for the new Windows 7 machine?

Solution
If you use the windows remote desktop service then ya the windows client is the only one you can use. I don't like VNC much because of the large bandwidth usage.

What are your requirements? IE passing through a firewall or pesonal router?

I still like the MS client and I just port forward the RDP port, crap I forget the port #. Aahh it's 3389.

Also www.logmein.com is a web based remote application and you get 5 clients for free, I use it to admin my mothers/grandmothers computers and it works great because I don't have to walk my family through port forwarding or any of that.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
If you use the windows remote desktop service then ya the windows client is the only one you can use. I don't like VNC much because of the large bandwidth usage.

What are your requirements? IE passing through a firewall or pesonal router?

I still like the MS client and I just port forward the RDP port, crap I forget the port #. Aahh it's 3389.

Also www.logmein.com is a web based remote application and you get 5 clients for free, I use it to admin my mothers/grandmothers computers and it works great because I don't have to walk my family through port forwarding or any of that.

Solution

Comsat

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

In the past I would run Dynamic DNS Free on the XP box and forward the port requests from my wireless N router to that box. I ran TightVNC but switched to UltraVNC for the added security. I'd log into the XP machine periodically from my office to do a number of things (start a download, check out how a site rendered from home rather than the office, etc.).

Is this fairly secure?

fary223

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
try www.lanoninternet.com

its a multipurpose software where u can completely access a computer remotely.we can play lan games over internet without port forwarding.. :wahoo: