Upgrade cpu or motherbored and cpu

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hi, first off im new and never made an account with any forums in my life, but always read them, and it seems toms has most of the elite ppl and answer so i joined :) i know sometimes theres threds to read or im not even sure if im making a new one, im hella noob atm and ps my spelling sucks....

ok so been looking for hours on diff forums about my problem.. built my first comp and didnt get enough info.. also btw i went from a slimline comp to a med tower with upgrades...

Q: i have a ASUS.. W8 maybe i can post the info

Intel Pentium D 820

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 (Build 7601)

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 2 Cores - 2 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3), EM64T
CPUID : F.4.4 / Extended : F.4
CPU Cache : L1 : 2 x 12 / 2 x 16 KB - L2 : 2 x 1024 KB
Core : SmithField (90 nm) / Stepping : A0

Freq : 2800.73 MHz (200.05 * 14)

MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : EMERY
NB : Intel i945P rev A1
SB : Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev A1

GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
GPU Clocks : Core 751 MHz / RAM 1800 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 333.4 MHz (3:5) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Kingston
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Kingston

ok cool it worked i notice the cpu isnt that good and realy wanted to upgrade my old slimline comp to play games with out gitting lag on high settings. i had a nvidia 6150 on bored graph card and was gitting 3-6 fps on the lowest settings for the game RIFT. upgraded and got new tower, fans, and the above info. i notice the fps but i still have to have the settings on ultra low low...

Can i upgrade the cpu itself to a i3 i5 or i7 or will the motherbord not support it..? so far the forums say sometimes old mother bords cant support new cpu. i ask becouse most of the forums also say the 460 is a great card but with out a good cpu backing it up i wont get the best out of it... i just notice it doesnt say the powersupply... i have a 750 watt power supply. well hope this is starting a forum and hope u guys can help a noob out. also any info on how to use the forums or if im doing it wrong plz tell :) ty guys agin

Ten98

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Wow, you've really done well to upgrade to 4GB and a GTX460 from a little HP media center machine :)

The only part holding you back in games now is the CPU. The bad news is that board will not accept any CPU faster than what you already have.

To upgrade your CPU, which I do reccomend, you're going to have to upgrade your motherboard.

The best chip to go for at the current time would be the Core i5 2500K. You will need a new motherboard and new RAM as well, as the 2500k only works in boards which take DDR3, not DDR2.

Alternatively, if you're on a tight budget you could shop around for a cheap new or used motherboard with a P45 or G45 chipset that takes a Core 2 Quad CPU such as the Q8300 or Q9300. You can pick up those CPUs quite cheaply these days and would be able to keep your existing RAM. The Q8300 is still a very capable CPU for games, and would lift your framerates up to where they should be for a few years to come.

Either way, if you change your motherboard, you will need to reinstall Windows as well. So make sure you back up anything important.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Welcome! Hope you have a good experience with the forums!

As for spelling just do your best. As long as what you are trying to say is clear everything will be fine.

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
wow! realy fast replys! only been 3 hours.. nice nice.. ty ten 98 for the other options btw. I figured id prob have to upgrade it... and ty rusting in peace for the welcome :) i paid only 45 for the motherbored and cpu. i wanted a little upgrade and it is alot better but not what i thought.

and malmental, also ty for the reply.
1., i did some reserch and asus made by hp and for some reason hp realy doesnt look like they want us too lol but if u find otherwise i would love to know how even gitting it in the 3.0+ would prob help a little. and i can turn the settings up a little but when i do raids and pvp i need to be atleast in the 15-20fps, 30-40 would be perfect.

2, for the ram i think its in dual channel mode theres 4 slots one blue then white then the same on the otherside so i put one in the blue and the other in the blue on the otherside. hope its in right lol
3. and budget.. umm i lloked on graigs list i would prob spend 80-120 for the mother bored and 100-150 on the cpu and 40-60 on ram and prob pay someone to do the software agin :(

also, this is going to be my gf and my sons comp to play games with me. i am going to make me one or just buy one out rite! lol. so if i could spend less that would also work out handy. couple of questions, i dont have the windows disk since i moved could i just make back it all up on some dvds and then just use that to install windows agin? and if u guys do find a cheaper route can u send some links on what would be a good option for a cheap route? and can the quad core black addition 3.2 or 3.4 be used on a ddr2 motherbored? because they look very good for the price.

when i build my main comp or buy i will deff post what i found and first get the ok from u guys!

ps. i know the vid card and ram can be overclocked least i think it can and is it even worth doing atm? i dont think so since the cpu is lagging behind to even push all the new stuff i got. but if u guys do find away to overclock the cpu i have i will look into it i just need to know how to look in the bios. and, agin ty guys so much for the feed back!

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
im gitting a new one but way later need to save up 800-900 for a prety descent one. and the cpu and motherbored will be for the comp i just upgraded, the one with the old motherbored and old cpu. i definetly want to get them something better then this motherbored and cpu. my gf plays mmo games with me so i at least want it to be descent :) She hates lag worse them me :) lol. so i hope i can get a good price on a mothers bored and cpu to put in the one im having a problem with. so i was hoping i could get a mother bored to support ddr2 ram so i can use the 4gb i have now and a AMD quadcore black addition 3.2 or 3.4 ghz if even possible..

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
ty agin for replying u guys are giving me alot of peace of mind wich is hard to get now a days :) so i looked some up with good reviews and came up with this set up let me know what u guys think.

so will this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

with either the 955 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

or the one i want if it is possible the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

i notice it says am3 tho on these cpu.. the motherbored i picked did say supports the ram with either am3 or am2, and it even says can overclock it realy easy if needed. one thing i question is the mother bored supports DDR2 1066* / 800 / 667 / 533
(*Support with AM3 / AM2+ CPU) and my ram says pc2-6400 (400mhz)? so will they go together? im not rich but around 200-230 for those, and if it will make a big diff i will do it for sure if u guys think it will.

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
ok awsome will get the 955 for sure and is there a mother bored u think is good? i see the msi but hured bad suport from them. im a asus fan but most say out of stock. i should also mention i have a wireless wifi card because the router is in another room and i dont want to use a ethernet cable. ive tried the usb ones but everyone i had would spike real bad and get super hot! have a wifi one and it works great so i need a mobo with good slots and good room :) let me know what u guys come up with cant wait to see what you guys pick. ty agin

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
also found this deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.624997

and the case is.. well couldnt dind it for some reason but looks like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154104 the one i have roughly is 14-15 in high, 17-18 in length and 6-8 in in width.

and on motherbods it dont matter, as long as its good and can have room for my big graphics card i have and be able to use my wirless card i have in it. the graph card is pretty big in size http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127519&cm_re=gtx_460_768mb-_-14-127-519-_-Product

hope that info helps on the case and size :)

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
ya when i got it i thought it was the 1gb version... not tell i put it in it said that and i was like oh... so its better to get the 955 black addition and the the first motherbord?
the motherbored i have does have 4x slots for ram but like i said im here to get advise, so what ever u think i should get ill prob get as long as u think it will make a diffference :)

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
umm usb or p/s2. is fine altho i have the razerdeath 3500 mouse and a hp keybord atm. Mouse is usb and the keybored is not. and ya open box is fine :) i didnt even know they had that! lol i also see alot of AM2/AM3 mixed bords wich works well since the 955 black addition 3.2 cpu is AM3 and the ram i have is DDR2 wich only works on AM2. but ya open box is fine as long as it has new eggs same warranty just in case it goes bad with in the 30 days. oh and i only was saying amd because there good on price but if for some reason u found a i5 2500k for a little more like 20-40 more i wouldnt mind it if u think it would blow the 955 black 3.2 cpu out the water. cant wait to see what you come up with! thank you agin for replying back and taking the time to read all this :)

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
aww both open boxes are out of stock all rdy :( ya i love asus and that seems like a good bord. and the 955 looks awsome too... looks like i know what to get. ok were almost done :) do i have to get another windows 7 if i cant find my disk? or just make a back up of this one and load it in?

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
looking at it i notice the FSB is slower on the one i saw and only enough for 2 ram sticks... but not sure if i need the 4 ram slots but im guessing the faster the FSB the better? im still learning about computers : ) but thats why i joined this site because i knew i would get the most knowledge from u guys :)

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
i will prob just go with ur first choice ty btw :) its AM2/AM2+/AM3 and the cpu is the 955 black addition wich is AM3 but the ram is DDR2 so it goes perfect. i was reading some of the feedbacks and it said sometimes the 955 didnt work on that notherbord.. not sure why but if i got that bord the ddr2 ram and the 955 black will work together on that bord right?

And sry for not replying sooner been at the dmv and working on my truck all day :)

i think were almost done :) i got alot of knowledge out of the replys and im glad i can get something for this comp with ur knowledge behind it..

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Ok perfect looks like im going with the M4A785-M and gitting the 955 black addition cpu to put in it. I can put everything together its the software part i dont realy get yet.. So once i install the mother bored and put everything in it my hard drive will be erased? Or can i just pop in the windows 7 64 bit disc when i get it, and just let it run?

Do i have to shut off the other on bord graphics card, or when i install the gtx 460 i have, it will do it on its own?

Also will i have to download all the realtek sound software agin and the wirless internal card i have too?

im a little weak when it comes to the software part :(

ty agin and i will be back on later in the after noon, its almost 4am i need some sleep :) But, fo =r sure i know im gitting that mobo and the 955 cpu..

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
ok cool sounds siple enough :) i got no disk what so ever not even for the gtx 460 but when i put it in, windows will still start up right? as long as im connected to the internet? or when it starts up i have to mannuly turn off the other on bord graphics card? sounds so simple lol i hope its that easy :)

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
so just install all the items then power up computer and put the windows 7 64 disc in and it will also find everyother software i need? As long as im connected to the internet? do i have to do anything in the bios?

scionvalucifer

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011