Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD vs Sandy Bridge

Last response: in Systems
a b À AMD
January 9, 2011 8:09:08 PM

ok, I know Sandy Bridge beats any AMD processor head to head....but I think AMD may still be best dollar-for-dollar with whole system

most of the two systems I'm thinking of will be about the same (around $850):

8 GB DDR3-1600
1 TB HDD (Seagate probly)
620W PSU (seasonic S12II)
rosewill destroyer case w/ maxxed out case fans (or something like it)
cheap DVD burner.
Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

the major difference is cpu/mobo/gpu setup:

AMD:
Phenom II 955 (Maybe a 1075t 6-core?)
AS Rock 870 Extreme 3
2x HD6850 in crossfire

Intel:
i5-2600K
AS Rock P67 Extreme 4
1x HD6870 (or possibly a 470?)

I think the AMD build will outperform the Intel build, but what do you think?

Right now its just brainstorming ideas, and rough estimates

More about : amd sandy bridge

January 9, 2011 8:16:20 PM

The intel will destroy the AMD in anything CPU intensive, but because you have the better video cards, the AMD build will be better at gaming. Just get the 470 and the sandy bridge.
Score
January 9, 2011 8:29:29 PM

You're comparing apples and oranges, go with the intel 2500K at $224 and the asrock P67 xfire at $152, the price difference would be about $100 and the performance would be worth it over the AMD system. You'd have to go with a really budget AMD system to have it make sense (athlon II x3/870) and only then if you're really strapped for cash.
Score
Related resources
January 9, 2011 8:48:40 PM

Certainly AMD is the better value, but there are many things to consider. In cases where you are CPU bound (like an RTS), the Intel setup is going to preform better. Still an overclocked 955 should be enough for two 6850s so I say go AMD. You may want to wait till bulldozer comes out in a few months though as current AM3 boards will most likely not be able to support bulldozer CPUs. Of course that may not stop ASRock from putting out a beta BIOS to get their board to post with Bulldozer thus allowing you a better upgrade path, but I'm saying don't depend on it.
Score
January 9, 2011 8:54:06 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
ok, I know Sandy Bridge beats any AMD processor head to head....but I think AMD may still be best dollar-for-dollar with whole system

8 GB DDR3-1600
cheap DVD burner.
Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

AMD:
AS Rock 870 Extreme 3
2x HD6850 in crossfire

Intel:
i5-2600K
AS Rock P67 Extreme 4

+1 for your choice of psu :) 

I would suggest you consider changing that case...it's small which is what you don't want for a home based gaming rig, and get something that leaves room for H/S, large vid card, etc...with some "breathing room" so to say. Then you can come down on price with the mobo. If your primary use is for gaming...consider 4 gigs of RAM and not 8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Score

Best solution

a b À AMD
January 9, 2011 9:42:26 PM

Hi.

There's no way to AMD build win that contest, yeah, you have Crossfire in the AMD build but even that the i5-2500k performs much better that i7-975 extreme, and obviously any AMD CPU quad core or six core.

I'm not an Intel fan boy, but i'd go with the Intel build but with the P67A-UD3 suggested by Why_Me.

In the other hand you have Ivy bridge as next Intel generation, so, maybe your Sandy component will not be compatible with that generation, in that case I always prefer AMD (My current build is AMD).

So, you have to take your choice, performance VS lifespan.
a b À AMD
January 10, 2011 12:47:16 AM

the basic question is really: does a crossfire setup save AMD vs a single-card setup from Sandy Bridge?
Score
a b À AMD
January 10, 2011 12:52:07 AM

There's only a way to know that. Test it.
Score
a b À AMD
January 10, 2011 1:20:50 AM

I'm sort of in the same boat.
I have two systems. Each has only one PCIE slot, and neither has USB 3.0. I could see wanting two GPUs some day (one possibly dedicated to PhysX or other GPGPU processing), and USB 3.0 will be useful for external drives (like a big backup for multiple PCs). That means I'll be building soon, and it will be for the long haul, as there is no application or game out there today for which my performance requirements call for a CPU notably faster than what I have. Sandy Bridge appears to offer what I want, but I'm going to wait for Bulldozer just to see how it compares. Intel does start out with a key advantage though; the ability to do Crossfire OR SLI on the same board. Since I already have a GTX460, that will be a hard advantage to ignore. Does that situation apply to you in any way? I'll be interested to know what you choose for your parts, AND the case, since I'll probably decide to get one that has USB3.0 ports on it.
Score
January 10, 2011 1:22:12 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
the basic question is really: does a crossfire setup save AMD vs a single-card setup from Sandy Bridge?

Yes and no...

Yes a dual vid card on that AMD build will, but to a gamer...there most likely going to go with an Intel build imo. And here's why.

First off, I remember when the i7-920 with the triple channel ram and x58 boards first came out a few years back, and they were a hot item for peeps who could afford them. Everyone thought you had to have $1,400 budget to build one. I was the first person to build one on this board for sub $1,000. I spamed that build on a lot of threads on here. It took some creative shopping (surfing the net). :) 

These sandy bridge builds are going to get cheaper and cheaper. OEM 2500k's , combo deals, cheaper mobo's...etc.. Now figure that some people like myself are a firm believer in one good card for now, and down the road ebay it and pick up a better newer card. I was never a fan of dual card set ups myself...and here's why. In reality most people that hold off on getting a second matching vid card never get it. They move on to the newer better hot item atm. Technology goes so fast it's crazy. Yet you have all these saps who spent big bucks on a way over kill psu and running only one gpu.

Then you have the typical gamer...wants the best of the best...whether they need it or not....and it's usually a big "not". Those are the same peeps who buy cases with bright flashy lights even though said case is small, cramped, and has ultra crap cooling and craftsmanship, get keyboards that light up, and mouses that cost more than some dual core cpu's. Like people who own Iphones...they don't use half the crap that that phone offers...but they have to have one because their friends have one. It's the day and age of over spending, credit cards, useless toys, and keeping up with the "Joneses" so to say (bragging rights).

AMD has been playing catch up with Intel since the C2D was first released. Before that AMD owned the day when it came to gaming rigs...and it's gamers who spend, spend, and spend $$$$$ on their rigs like crazy.

Hope this helps. :) 
Score
a b À AMD
January 10, 2011 2:16:27 AM

ScrewySqrl said:

8 GB DDR3-1600
cheap DVD burner.
Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

AMD:
AS Rock 870 Extreme 3
2x HD6850 in crossfire

Intel:
i5-2600K
AS Rock P67 Extreme 4

none of the above.------------------------------

For gaming, spend first on the graphics card; get the best single graphics card you feel comfortable buying.
I think for 1080P resolution, that means a GTX570 which is a similar price to 2 6850 cards. You then have options if you ever go to three monitors or a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.

No need for 8gb, 4gb will do if your interest is gaming. If you do a lot of multitasking, then 8gb is ok. Ram is cheap.

On the cpu, a i5-540 with a modest overclock will drive that GTX570 well in most games. Few games make good use of the third and fourth cores. 6 cores is not very good for gaming. The clock speed matters.

In the end, though, the 2500K is a cpu that will last, and well worth the $50 or so price difference.
Score
a b À AMD
January 17, 2011 4:48:50 AM

Best answer selected by ScrewySqrl.
Score
a b À AMD
January 17, 2011 4:59:18 PM

Before Mousemonkey closes the thread; +many to Why_Me. People would be a lot better off wising up and not participating in the "churn" of constant spending. Any PC can be "improved" in some way, but ask yourselves if the improvement will be visible (i.e. will it really matter) before uncorking the wallet.
Score
a b À AMD
January 17, 2011 5:02:43 PM

Mousemonkey will not close the thread :lol: 
Score
!