photoshop color management

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 26, 2005 11:40:31 AM

Hi all,

today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
off. I have edited the file on a desktop computer and I am looking at it
with my laptop now. I have calibrated my sceens and everything was
fine until now. For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
of photoshop they appear to be fine (when using the windows picture viewer).
Something screwed up my color management in PS and I don't know what it is.
Here are my settings (Windows Machine):
working spaces:
RGB: Adobe 98
CMYK: Offset print - Euro Catalog
Gray: Gray Gamma 2.2
Spot: Dot Grain 20%

color management policies
RGB,CMYk,Gray: Preserve Embedded Profiles

Conversion options
Engine: Adobe
Intent Perceptual

When I set View -> Proof Setup -> Monitor RGB and enable View -> Proof
Colors it looks much better but I did not have to do that before and I
don't think i should be doing this. Also I need to do that on every
picture now, that seems wrong.

Hopefully some of you are kind enough to help me out.

Thanks

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
same machine) it looks fine.
To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
trying to figure out what.
Anyone?

Andre
--

----------------------------------

http://www.aguntherphotography.com

> "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were
totally
> > off.
> Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor
profile.
> Jim
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:01:15 PM

In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
same machine) it looks fine.
To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
trying to figure out what.
Anyone?

Andre
--

----------------------------------

http://www.aguntherphotography.com

> "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were
totally
> > off.
> Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor
profile.
> Jim
January 26, 2005 2:04:52 PM

andre.gunther@gmail.com wrote:
> In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
> photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on
> the other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing
> on the same machine) it looks fine.
> To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
> trying to figure out what.
> Anyone?
>
> Andre
>
>> "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were
>>> totally off.
>> Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor
>> profile. Jim

Can you find the "return all options to default" button? May be worth a
try ...
Frank ess

"Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
warning." -Albrecht Einstein
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:31:33 PM

>For some reasons all colors are totally off, but outside
>of photoshop they appear to be fine (when using the windows picture
viewer).

Photoshop uses the ICM color management flow, Windows PV does not.
Most likely this is why the files look different.

>When I set View -> Proof Setup -> Monitor RGB and enable View -> Proof

>Colors it looks much better

When you do this you are bypassing your monitor's ICC profile and
viewing the file with color management turned off. I often do this
with jpegs to see what they'll (likely) look like when people view them
on the web. This is a sure-fire indicator that there's something wrong
in the CM flow.

I agree with Jim, who said it's most probable that you have a problem
with your monitor ICC profile (which Photoshop uses and non-color
managed programs don't). Check to see if your monitor profile is being
picked up as the default (right-click on the open desktop, then
Properties > Settings > Advanced > Color Management and check the
default). If you have a generated profile from somewhere other than
Adobe Gamma check to see that Gamma is NOT in your Start folder since
if it is you are getting two sets of values loaded into the video card
LUTs, which causes problems. If all else fails then regenerate your
monitor profile.

You can post this on comp.graphics.apps.photoshop (where it's asked
about once a month) but the answer always comes back to color-managed
vs non-color-managed apps and the accuracy of your monitor profile.
Bill
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:13:36 PM

<andre.gunther@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In my case thats not the problem. If I open the same picture outside
> photoshop it looks fine. Even if I open the picture in photoshop on the
> other computer through remote desktop (means I am still viewing on the
> same machine) it looks fine.
> To me that looks like something is messed up in photoshop and I am
> trying to figure out what.
> Anyone?
>
> Andre

You might try comp.graphics.apps.photoshop...

dwight
January 26, 2005 8:02:03 PM

"andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
> off.
Most likely explanation is that you need to create a new monitor profile.
Jim
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:29:43 PM

andre wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I opened up a file in Photoshop and all the colors were totally
> off. I have edited the file on a desktop computer and I am looking at
> it with my laptop now.

My guess is that somehow Adobe Gamma is activated AND you are using the
monitor profile

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com