Mismatched fan connectors

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Fan
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 4, 2011 1:57:41 PM

I'm a little confused about how the fan connectors go to the Asus P8P67-M-Pro motherboard and Seasonic (650w X-series) power supply. Do fans get power from power supply or from motherboard?

I have a Rosewill Challenger case with 3 case fans:
Rear: female small 3 pin connector -- direct to mobo (ok, but no power connector?)
Top: 1 male large 4 pin / 1 female large 4 pin
Rear: 1 male large 4 pin / 1 female large 4 pin

Modular power supply came with these related power cables:
PSU cable with 2 male large 4 pin connectors
Y Adapter: 1 large female 4 pin --> 2 small 4 pin

The best I could come up with was connect Top male with Rear female large connectors. Connect PSU male connector to 1 large female connector on Top. Connect Y-Adapter to Rear Male connector, use 1 or 2 small connectors to motherboard (chassis fan connections).

Does that sound right? How does motherboard independently control the chassis fans with those two small connectors, like how does it know which fan is which? Or does it act like a variable resistor allowing some or all power to the Top and Rear fans?

More about : mismatched fan connectors

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 2:13:11 PM

your mobo should have one 4 -pin fan male connector (non-molex) that you plug in your CPU fan to. then depending on what mobo you have, there can be several 3-pin fan connectors on your mobo (check the guide that came with it). connect as many case fans to them as you can and the rest to the power supply. you can also simply daisy chain all those case fans together to the PSU.
April 4, 2011 2:22:16 PM

ct1615 said:
your mobo should have one 4 -pin fan male connector (non-molex) that you plug in your CPU fan to. then depending on what mobo you have, there can be several 3-pin fan connectors on your mobo (check the guide that came with it). connect as many case fans to them as you can and the rest to the power supply. you can also simply daisy chain all those case fans together to the PSU.

oh, thanks, terminology - 4 pin large = molex

The CPU fan is connected to the mobo with a non-molex 4-pin connector. And a rear fan with a non-molex 3-pin connector to the mobo.

But for the other two fans,
Is it bad to have the fans connected to both the power supply and the motherboard? Or is that how it's supposed to be?
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 2:27:45 PM

each fan should be connected to either the PSU or the mobo, not both

you should have the following set up

CPU fan - mobo
rear fan - mobo
top fan - PSU
rear fan #2?? you mean the front LED fan? - that is also PSU
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:30:20 PM

ct1615 said:
each fan should be connected to either the PSU or the mobo, not both

Okay, thanks. So the case / fan manufacturer including two molex connectors to give me the option on how to connect them -- either constant power / always on from the PSU or variable power connected to the mobo?
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 2:32:52 PM

Alduron said:
Okay, thanks. So the case / fan manufacturer including two molex connectors to give me the option on how to connect them -- either constant power / always on from the PSU or variable power connected to the mobo?

correct. in case your mobo does not have the connectors to power all your case fans or you simply want to run the fans at max spec RPM.
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:50:22 PM

Best answer selected by alduron.
m
l
!