I have this issue I've been researching for the past couple of days, but I haven't found a concrete answer.
The GPU default speed is 725Mhz, I used MSI Afterburner to set the speed to 800Mhz with a default voltage. (800/1600/1800)
On idle, the clock speeds are halved when I view them in GPU-Z. When I load a game up a game, say Starcraft 2. The clocks run at full and then settle back down to half. Is this normal or is there a problem?
So far I've found out the following and I'm trying to determine what's true. Is there something I'm missing?
- The GPU automatically down clocks because it is idle and conserves power
- The GPU is flawed and I should RMA/get a new one
- The overclock isn't stable and it's down clocking for safety
- The voltage applied to the card isn't enough
- The power supply is not sufficient
Yup you can expect this from every new card now of days. Usually 3 or 4 profiles, only problem i have with it is that when i load up something like IE9 which kicks my card into profile 2 just above idle and then load a game if i didn't close IE9 it sometimes get stuck in profile 2, but hey few bucks a month on my power bill who's to complain.