Worth upgrading or just buy a new one?

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
(Sorry if it's in the wrong forum)
Hi, i've pretty much gamed for most of my life since i got Win98, but i've never really delved that deep into what my computer has to offer, because i've always been provided with a fairly new one every couple of years. Now, there's no chance for that, so i need to figure out what to do with this one.
Its just not enough any more for playing the new games. Even with GameBooster and everything shut down, it often has problems and fps on the lower side, when it used to run just fine about 2 years ago.

I will post the specs and it would be great if you could give me tips on how to upgrade it or if it's even worth it (Budget, mind you) This is via Sysspec if it matters.
Windows Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (Build 7600)

Internet Explorer 9.0.8080.16413

Memory (RAM) 3070 MB

CPU Info Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz

CPU Speed 2661,7 MHz

Sound Card Speakers (High Definition Audio

Display Adapters NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT | NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver

Monitors 1x; Generic PnP Monitor |

Screen Resolution 1440 X 900 - 32 bit

Network Network Present

Network Adapters Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter | Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

CD / DVD Drives E: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A | F: UZMXW ENW9MFS | G: UZMXW ENW9MFS | H: UZMXW ENW9MFS

Ports COM7 | COM8 | COM9 | COM10 | COM11 | COM12 | COM13 | COM5 | COM6 | COM1 LPT1

Mouse 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 29,3GB | D: 82,5GB

Hard Disks - Free C: 4,3GB | D: 7,9GB

USB Controllers 5 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) Not Detected

Manufacturer Intel Corp.

Product Make

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 11/07/07 | _ASUS_ - 57

Time Zone FLE Standard Time

Battery No Battery

Motherboard Intel Corporation D946GZIS

If there's anything else I can add to this, please tell me. And if it's something that can be bough online, would be great if it can *** to Latvia (North-east Europe), because otherwise it's a no-no.
Again, sorry, but i really can't delve into all this compatibility stuff, it just seems so confusing. While i have been thinking about a new CPU, there's always the issue whether the motherboard supports it, whether I have enogh power to support it(Oh, i guess i'll need to buy one of those power boxes too...was told this one's a bit weak.The Power Supply and i have absolutely no idea about those too)
So, halp? :(

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
HI There

All joking aside, how much can you spend on this? It is that which will dictate whether you upgrade or start fresh.

Can you download this and post the details shown as it will help us to identify what you can and cant do with your CPU. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

the link is on the right side of the screen.

Use the tabs to go into further detail about your current PC.

Speak soon!!

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Doesn't look like you can change too much. You can replace your CPU with Pentium D 960 but it's no point. Old, hot and power hungry. I suggest preparing to buy a new PC. Tell us how much you are ready to spend and I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

davisvolksons

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Ah okay guys. I figured as much. I only could have used some advice on some cheap improvements. A student like me doesn't really have that much money to buy a fresh one. Guess i'll have to use this one until i get a better one. Cheers. That was fast ;)