Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about the HAF 912 Advanced

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2011 4:03:48 PM

Hi everyone :D 

I am going to be getting the HAF 912 Advanced pretty soon. The question I want to ask is, does having a side fan installed give a big difference to cooling performance?

I checked online for a while, but could not find any benchmarks to compare. I was wondering if anyone knows any website, or has tried it for themselves.

I am sure that having an additional side fan would have no negative effects, but I am just curious to know how big of a difference it is capable of having.

Thanks for any advice and info you can share!
April 4, 2011 4:44:14 PM

It'll definately have a good cooling effect on your graphics card, and also your processor. Remember, it's always nice to have good airflow to keep components cool. A good idea is to fit fan filters, to avoid a large build up of dust, which can have a negative impact on cooling. Which fans are you planning on fitting to the side of your case? But returning to the point in hand, yes, there would be quite a difference to GPU/CPU temps.

I hope that this helps! :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 164 ) Power supply
April 4, 2011 4:47:45 PM

in every test i have seen, including my own on two different video card in two different cases; 12omm side fans at best don't increase temps and most often increase them because they screw up the front to back case flow. i just place a filter on the port so dust is not pulled through.
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 3:08:17 AM

^+1 i agree side fans don't offer a significant amount of temp difference.
In my experience they only introduce more dust with little or no temp decrease.
If you have a case that allows an additional 120mm to be mounted on a hdd cage in front of your gpu that's the way to go.
Actually reduces gpu temp by 2-3C and no extra dust.
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:41:06 AM

^^^^ @ everything above

That's why you mount the side fan on a 912 as an EXHAUST fan. The ideal HAF setup is pulling air through the front fan(s) and drawing it out everywhere else.

And it's 140mm, not 120mm.
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 4:53:53 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
^^^^ @ everything above

That's why you mount the side fan on a 912 as an EXHAUST fan. The ideal HAF setup is pulling air through the front fan(s) and drawing it out everywhere else.

And it's 140mm, not 120mm.

1. it's both 120 & 140mm
2. who's ideal is it? it not CM, they show the exact opposite on their web site for the 912. it's not mine, davcon, or anyone reviewers since tests prove that"ideal" wrong and a failure

3. the ideal is actually an opinion and is incorrect, not fact. try to recognize the difference, facts are proven through tests. opinions are stated by fan boys who lack the intelligence to find correct answers and simply make "off the top of my head" statements to defend their incorrect thoughts. mainly to mask their lack of intelligence on a subject.
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:56:58 AM

ct1615 said:
1. it's both 120 & 140mm
2. who's ideal is it? it not CM, they show the exact opposite on their web site for the 912. it's not mine, davcon, or anyone reviewers since tests prove that"ideal" wrong and a failure
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/3019/feature2.jpg

3. the ideal is actually an opinion and is incorrect, not fact. try to recognize the difference, facts are proven through tests. opinions are stated by fan boys who lack the intelligence to find correct answers and simply make "off the top of my head" statements to defend their incorrect thoughts. mainly to mask their lack of intelligence on a subject.

That's stupid. With GPUs that exhaust into the case, the side fan is perfectly placed to draw the heat out.

That's just simple aerodynamics. With passively-cooled GPUs, or ones that have rear exhausts, sure, draw the air up and through the top. With GPUs that dump hot air into the case (as I have), the side fan provides an easy egress for the exhaust.

But hey, I guess I'm just imagining the hot air that blows out of the side fan when I have my GPUs cranked up, huh?
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 5:04:03 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
That's stupid. With GPUs that exhaust into the case, the side fan is perfectly placed to draw the heat out.

But hey, I guess I'm just imagining the hot air that blows out of the side fan when I have my GPUs cranked up, huh?

1. the side fan will also screw with the gpu fan's airflow that sucks cool air through the port.

2. hot air will blow out any port that has exhaust airflow, that does not mean you have good airflow. i can reverse my front fans and have hot air blow out of them, that does not make my airflow ideal.
m
l
April 5, 2011 5:48:26 AM

Wow!! Increadible information and advice everyone!! I really appreciate it!

It really has opened my eyes. I never thought of how multiple fans would disrupt the course of the airflow in the casing. Haha I guess I am one of those naive people who thinks more fans are better!

I've decided that I will indeed just place a fan filter there to make sure no dust enters, and leave the fan configurations at their original.

Again, thanks everyone who shared their thoughts on this. Haha thanks to this, I feel like my Intelligence has just +1 :D 
m
l
April 15, 2011 6:17:22 AM

Best answer selected by rekjl.
m
l
!