Sign in with
Your question

Why im not getting DTS and DOLBY DIGITAL effect?

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2011 4:03:51 PM

hi friends.
i have LOGITECH z-5500 and im using optical cable to connect motherboard with z-5500 . my graphic card is GTX 560ti and this it supports digital audio . then why im not getting DTS and DOLBY effect??????
do i need a separate sound card ??? or its a setting problem . using win 7
April 4, 2011 4:10:13 PM

Your video card only outputs audio over HDMI. The motherboard may not be able to output DTS/Dolby encoded sound over optical, which would result in only stereo sound being output. Depending on whether your mobo has this capability, you may need a separate sound card to output those formats. Why not just use the analog outputs on your motherboard?
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:31:38 PM

in analog output z-5500 has effects just 1)6 ch direct 2)stereo 3) stereo x2 4) dd movie 5)dd music . DTS is only available in optical out .
plzzzz suggest a good sound card which is future proof . creative products recommended..
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2011 4:41:50 PM

Maybe an AuzenTech Forte or Bravura?
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:47:50 PM

they r not available ......... should i buy creative x-fi titanium or creative x-fi futality pro
m
l
April 4, 2011 7:42:58 PM

Quote:
should i buy creative x-fi titanium or creative x-fi futality pro

No, because you need to pay EXTRA for the Dolby/DTS encoding technologies, and their cards are lower quality compared to everyone elses, and because they cost more, and because their drivers stink.

Anyway, my list:

HT Omega Striker
Auzentech Meridian 2G
Auzentech Forte
ASUS Essence ST/STX

Noticed I slimmed my list down a bit? Finally dropped the D1/DX and D2/D2X, as well as the Prelude.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:42:09 AM

they r not available ......... should i buy creative x-fi titanium or creative x-fi futality pro
m
l
Anonymous
April 5, 2011 11:31:09 AM

Neither, they are both sucky, what other choices do you have there?
m
l
April 5, 2011 12:14:50 PM

i hav the option to import from DUbai . is AUZENTECH dealer over there?
m
l
April 5, 2011 2:46:43 PM

Why not find out all the cards you can possibly get and then do research on them to see if they have what you need?
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:07:18 PM

hey i had done research and found that 1) AUZENTECH HOME THEATER HD ,,, 2)forte 7.1 3)BRAVURA supports DTS effect . AM i right?????? so which one should i choose . i think i should go for azentech Forte 7.1. hey one more thing i want to confirm .........my sound card will recieve the sound signal from motherboard ,, then it will convert that sound signal into digital dolby or dts effect .then my speakers will recieve that digital audio from sound card through optical out or analoge out ports present on sound card .. AM I RIGHT????
plzzzz do tell me and also suggest me sound card from top 3 i had mentioned ..
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:12:59 PM

Yeah the Bravura got a driver update to support DTS so it's your cheapest option, but the Forte offers actual encoded sound output. I doubt the Z5500 actually decode DTS though, AFAIK only a receiver does that. The Home Theater HD is really meant for it's name - a high end home theater (top end receiver unit and all like Harmon Kardon or Onkei or w/e). I would say you'll probably get what you want from the Bravura, but the Forte isn't much more money and should definitely fulfil the roll.
m
l
April 5, 2011 7:44:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah the Bravura got a driver update to support DTS so it's your cheapest option, but the Forte offers actual encoded sound output. I doubt the Z5500 actually decode DTS though, AFAIK only a receiver does that

No, the Z5500's have native Dolby/DTS decoding built in.

Quote:
my sound card will recieve the sound signal from motherboard ,, then it will convert that sound signal into digital dolby or dts effect .then my speakers will recieve that digital audio from sound card through optical out or analoge out ports present on sound card .. AM I RIGHT????

More or less. In this case, the software would send the audio stream to the soundcard, which would encode to Dolby/DTS [Via either Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect], which would then go to your Z5500's to be decoded.

Also, I'd still take the Forte over the Bravura. The Bravura is better, but the extra cost isn't justified in my eyes. The Home Theatre HD is more for a HTPC that needs HDMI In/Out, and despite being a really good card in its own right, too expensive for what you need.

Finally: Why not just hook the Z5500's up via analog and avoid using Dolby/DTS in the first place?
m
l
April 6, 2011 8:27:47 AM

why should i avoid using dolby/dts . im buying sound card to get this effect and u r saying that i should avoid using dts/dolby effect . i really cant understand . plzzz explain .
m
l
April 6, 2011 3:00:33 PM

Simply that your motherboard probably has 5 channel analog output, so you'll get surround sound working if you use that. However, a sound card will sound cleaner whether you use the 5 channel analog or the optical.
m
l
April 6, 2011 4:10:21 PM

man u people r not understanding i need digital dolby /dts effect and i cant get it from analog out present on motherboard because dts and dolby digital effect is only recognized by z5500 when im using optical cable but the motherboard does not have digital audio thats why im getting ""NO DIGITAL FOUND"" label on lcd of z5500 even when im using optical out of motherboard . here is a proof DO READ TABLE AT PAGE 8
http://www.logitech.com/repository/1411/pdf/13099.1.0.p...

m
l
April 6, 2011 4:14:37 PM

thats why im buying sound card that should take up simple audio signal from mobo and encode it into digital up to 192khz/ 24bit and z5500 will recieve it and decode it at 96khz/24bit
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:17:12 PM

Quote:
why should i avoid using dolby/dts . im buying sound card to get this effect and u r saying that i should avoid using dts/dolby effect . i really cant understand . plzzz explain

Dolby and DTS are LOSSY formats; ie, they are compressed and lower quality output compared to uncompressed analog audio. By using Dolby/DTS over outputting the analog signal directly, you are actually losing some audio data during transmission to your speakers.

Quote:
thats why im buying sound card that should take up simple audio signal from mobo and encode it into digital up to 192khz/ 24bit and z5500 will recieve it and decode it at 96khz/24bit

Unless you are passing through Dolby/DTS from another device through the soundcard, there is almost no reason to use either format over using the analog outputs instead. And thats what I don't understand: Why not us the analog outputs instead of the digital one?
m
l
April 6, 2011 8:12:58 PM

so should i buy sound card . will sound quality improve by using sound card
m
l
April 6, 2011 8:21:09 PM

im really confused now by now i had understood that u r saying that ANALOG is better than DTS/DOlby or digital sound . u r saying analog has least power loss however as fas as i know optical fibre cable has minimum signal loss....
m
l
April 7, 2011 4:03:30 PM

currently im using motherboard audio output how big will be the the difference in sound quality when i use separate sound card like auzentech forte . or ht omega ecalro . etc
m
l
April 7, 2011 5:31:11 PM

Your speakers are pretty good so it should definitely clear up the sound, make it crisper. I think it's probably worth it for you, so long as a) you appreciate good sound and b) it's not going to make you broke ;) 
m
l
April 7, 2011 5:36:41 PM

ok suggest a sound card now my options are
AUZENTECH FORTE 7.1
AUZENTECH BRAVURA 7.1
HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1

ASUS XONARS aRE WAY EXPENSIVE > IM NOT CONSIDERING THEM.
whats ur suggestion among my list . u r not bound to choose from them . but plzzzz chosse in AUZENTECH and HT OMEGA
m
l
April 7, 2011 7:30:46 PM

Well it's hard to say. I have the Bravura and it's really great, it has DD and DTS features as well as the best headphone amp I've seen on a sound card yet (600ohm). Forte should be a bit better. I don't know much about the HT Omega but I've heard good things.
m
l
April 8, 2011 5:24:00 PM

im in Pakistan . so i can only buy from EBAY, AMAZON ,, NEWEGG and auzentech forte is not available . what should i do now.
m
l
April 9, 2011 3:28:49 PM

auzentech forte is not available on newegg , amazon . what should i do now ? which card should i buy now???
m
l
!