gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Hello,

I can't seem to find this anywhere in my manual or on the AMD website.

What is the normal idle and medium load temp for an AMD Phenom II 945?

Thanks,
Tim

Solution
I'm not a big fan of the 'spread it thin' method ... beneath the heat shield the actual cpu die looks something like this ...

amd-mobile-processor,0-T-105005-13.jpg

from Tom's

Most heat shields are somewhat concave to flat, and the AMD latching mechanism on the HSF supplies good pressure to level the TIM in the area of the CPU die.

As long as your temps are within the specs listed above you are okay --- but poor installation of the TIM will increase temps and reduce over-clocking headroom.

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
On stock cooling I would expect 45C depending on room temp.

Mine with aftermarket cooling idles at 35C.

Load I would expect 55-60C on stock.

Aftermarket for me is 45-50C.

These aren't usually supplied in the manuals etc since they vary depending on the case, location and airflow. Any temp below 70-75 is good. The 945 you have if it is the lower wattage version, get some aftermarket cooling and you'll get very nice temps out of it and you'll be able to run the fan slower, thus quieter.

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

It is most important to compare your temps with your Vcore -- these things are relative.

As you experiment with your tweaking keep a small spreadsheet and note at idle and load:

1) Clock Speed
2) Vcore
3) Temps

With that experimenting you will find your sweet spot, beyond where additional clock speed requires an 'outlier' bump in volts, and which results in a corresponding leap in temperatures that does not follow in an incremental fashion.

You will have hit the volt wall where the CPU struggles to gain more clock speed without giving it inordinate increases in voltage (that result in quickly rising temps).

Did you do the 'small rice grain' of TIM ?

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Sorry, I am slightly new to all this. I have a Vcore reading on my computer, and an RPM reading (clock speed)...the rest of what you're talking about kind of stumps me, not sure what, "small rice grain" of TIM is...More info would be helpful, thanks. Sorry for the n00b questions.

A picture is worth a thousand words ... to most people :lol:

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

I looked up small rice grain of TIM (i didn't know what TIM stood for ;) ), I did not use this method. I read online that if you have a square, you should just spread it out.

Basically, I replaced my mobo and had to reapply TIM. I wiped the old one clean with isopropyl alcohol, and spread a paper thin layer on it. I noticed my idle speed went up about 10 c.

So today, I went back and put more paste on, also by spreading it. It went back down the 10 that it went up.

If my temp is ok now, do you think the paste is okay?

I'm not a big fan of the 'spread it thin' method ... beneath the heat shield the actual cpu die looks something like this ...

amd-mobile-processor,0-T-105005-13.jpg

from Tom's

Most heat shields are somewhat concave to flat, and the AMD latching mechanism on the HSF supplies good pressure to level the TIM in the area of the CPU die.

As long as your temps are within the specs listed above you are okay --- but poor installation of the TIM will increase temps and reduce over-clocking headroom.

Solution

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Okay, thank you. I am idling around 30 c. If I see my temps go up more than that over time, I will reinstall with grain of rice.

If that happens, then there is something new wrong, since TIM does not magically disappear or change that significantly.

If that happens, look into dust buildup.