Solved

Is this a good CPU/mobo for gaming?

I currently have a pentium Dual Core e2160 rated at 1.8Ghz. I have been looking at upgrades for awhile and im going to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with a combo deal. So i found this deal on Ebay and i want to know what you all think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AMD-PHENOM-8600-2-3GHz-MOTHERBOARD-CPU-COMBO-KIT-/260386068402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca03817b2#ht_2950wt_698

also there is a bundle on Newegg that isnt too bad with a x3 core AMD as well but it is a lot more on newegg obviously than Ebay. Just wanted to get some opinions the games I play are MMOs like WoW, RoM.

Also, I am running Win7 32 bit with 4g DDR2. and I also have a Radeon HD 4350. My PSU is still stock and that will be eventually upgraded when i upgrade my card i just want to upgrade my mobo and cpu first.
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good mobo gaming
  1. Ripoff.

For a cheap upgrade to your system, get a H61 or H67 mobo an i3-2100 and 4gb ddr3-1333 for about $230. i3-2100 smokes a 3.5ghz Phenom II X4 in gaming.
  2. Best answer
    IMHO... it is not worth it!!

The older Phenom's are not the best of CPU's compared to the current Phenom II or Athlon II's. I would recommend saving enough money to be able to purchase at least the Athlon II X3 435 to go with a AM3/AM2+ board (but preferred to upgrade to an AM3 and DDR3, as well).
  3. +1 the 1st phenoms are no good at all. If you are on a very tight budget and need to keep your DDR2 RAM you could get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204 and an Athlon II x3 or X4
  4. Its good for the money but you really want a better graphics card at least a radeon 5670 (Nvidia 450) preferably a 5770 or even better a 6850 (or Nvidia 460 1Gb).
  5. Splurge on a motherboard like the ASRock 880G PRO3
  6. Wisecracker said:
    Splurge on a motherboard like the ASRock 880G PRO3

sure thats a nice board. But i cant afford that let alone afford DDR3 memory to add to it i need to stick with my DDR2 but thank you. :)
  7. simon12 said:
    +1 the 1st phenoms are no good at all. If you are on a very tight budget and need to keep your DDR2 RAM you could get this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204 and an Athlon II x3 or X4

how much of a difference will i see out of the Athlon II x4 over the athlon II x3?
  8. Cored17 said:
    how much of a difference will i see out of the Athlon II x4 over the athlon II x3?

It depends on the game some there will be no difference but other there will be a noticeable performance increase see http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-recommended-processor,2895-2.html for more details.
  9. Alright so i went with the AMD Athlon II x3 450, and the ASRock a770de+ board.. I am just wondering for sure without a doubt if my PSU which is the stock 250 will be able to handle it. I know my gpu is a low power one but it is a upgraded one and i also upgraded the Ram from the stock 1g(512x2) to 4gb(2x2) and if my psu isnt quite powerful enough what would happen if i tried to power it up?
  10. You should look at the reviews for I3 and I5 quad core 3ghz cpu's that are in your price range. Don't go less than a quad core. If you are on a tight budget then I would go 2.8ghz quad core at the minimum. Also you want an unlocked cpu if money allows. I thought an E8400 would be good enough, and it is a nice cpu by the way, but my qx9650 blows it out of the water. Figure out what you can afford and look on Google shopping and/or Pricewatch.com for the model #'s you have decided on. Then you'll be able to avoid any abused or burnt up components. I'd start with the cpu first and then the mobo. Good luck!
  11. Here's just a suggestion, I don't know what your budget is:

i5-760 $210 @ Amazon

Biostar H55 HD $74 @ 3btech

4gb dual channel 1333mhz ddr3 $40 @ Komusa.com
  12. You will most likely need a better PSU especially if you want to upgrade the GPU (which in my opinion is a more or as important upgrade as the CPU) I suggest a 480W Antec or corsair.
  13. well thank you for the suggestions but i already bought the X3 and the ASRock board like i had said and i just want to know if my PSU will ruin my new mobo or cpu if its not enough power. But @Ratcliff.. thats 240$ and thats way over my budget i wanted to be less than 175 and i paid 169 for the mobo and cpu with 1 year warranty on each.
  14. Ty Malmental :) again... lol... but sigh i feel i have made a error? Although i hope i have been reading wrong and not being stupid. Micro ATX and ATX? i believe my board now is a micro atx and i believe the one i ordered is a ATX am i screwed now and need a new case and psu?
  15. yes totally a idiot man i cant believe this a week i have been doing research and after i order i find out its too big. i hate my life lol.
  16. What is your case? If it supports an ATX motherboard, you are still good to go! Your PSU has no effect on if a motherboard is ATX or mATX. It will perform just the same either way.
  17. i cant tell what my case is but im assuming its a micro its only 14.5 inches tall? what else do i need to know or how else can i find out?
  18. Can you list a maker or model #?
  19. sorry its a Presario SR5410F if u google it i think a pic comes up.
  20. I think you are in trouble, as I don't see it fitting your case. I would look to cancel or plan returning upon receipt. The case is too small for an ATX motherboard.
  21. ok well there are some Case/PSU deals on Newegg for like 50ish bucks. would that work?
  22. tecmo34 said:
    I think you are in trouble, as I don't see it fitting your case. I would look to cancel or plan returning upon receipt. The case is too small for an ATX motherboard.

Ok this is the PSU thats in my case now.. i dont know a lot i just wanna make sure but it doesnt say Micro anywhere just ATX does that matter?
  23. alright yea i just looked up the dimensions of a reg ATX PSU and mine and mine is smaller so i know im screwed. But is it ok to just buy a case/psu combo from newegg?
  24. i3-2100 Sandy Bridge build is best for low end (~$400) in my opinion right now. You can get much cheaper than that if you live near Micro Center, or reuse case, HDD, DVD, or PSU.

Don't neglect your PSU. A bad PSU kills other components as it goes bad and then takes some down with it when it fails.
  25. Yeah... It is fine to buy a PSU/Case combo from Newegg
  26. Best answer selected by Cored17.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product