Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Massive stuttering and slow downs with GTX460 1GB.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2010 5:54:00 PM

Hi,

My current system specs are as follows :

CPU : E8500 @ Stock
GPU : Sparkle GTX460 1GB
Motherboard : MSI X48C
RAM : 3GB DDR3
PSU : 500W CM

Problem:

I replaced my GTX 260 core 216 with GTX 460 1GB. And right after installing my new GPU I started experiencing huge stutters in almost all games. I downgraded the drivers, Fresh installed windows, reset PCI latency to default, and all kinds of tweaks but no avail.

The strange thing is I played almost all games maxed out on my GTX260 @ 1080p and I play starcraft 2 a lot and there had been zero stutters whatsoever for last 1 year.
Its very depressing to spend on something which just don't work.

I know my CPU is not the bottleneck as there was no problem at all on GTX260 EVGA, which requires more power than 460.

PSU is not the cause because there are no random crashes, or other signs on it being weak,

Kindly guide me resolving this issue. In extreme case I will sale my GPU and bye bye Nvidia for 2 years. Will go for 6850 if I have to change this GPU.

Thanks in advance.
November 10, 2010 5:56:21 PM

Forgot to mention, One thing I noticed is 100% CPU load while in game. Its very strange for a cpu to be a limiter at higher 1080p resolution. I even tried with lowest graphics settings but stutter is there.
November 10, 2010 5:57:49 PM

when you install drivers do you use the Drivers only, or the full nvidia install? Also can try reinstalling DX and the 2008 C++ redistributable.
Related resources
November 10, 2010 5:58:12 PM

what game are you playing also?

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 6:05:35 PM

Firstly I beleive your words under your name should read "Work hard play harder" :D 
Secondly this sounds like one of those random issues that make Computers the fun that they are. I would bet that its almost definatly not the GPU at fault here and just something that has coincided with teh upgrade and cause the issue.

The first thing i would do is download the latest drivers from the Nvidia website then uninstall the GPU. if your unsure of the correct process for this then run driver sweeper, its a free download and will ensure you have no remains of the old 260 drivers. Plenty of guides on line if your not sure of driver sweeper. Personally i never use it but just about everyone on here sugests using it so it must be good right :)  Then reinstall the card with the latest drivers and see where you are then.

Mactronix :) 
November 10, 2010 6:14:28 PM

I Already did a clean driver install using Driver sweeper. and After fresh windows install I did try the latest version as well as 258.xx version. But issue is still there. One thing I can't understand is that my system was playing all games with zero hiccup.

Games I tried so far as as follows.

Dirt2 : Mircostutter
Starcraft 2 : Mircrostutter and FPS slow downs
COD Black ops : Unplayable even at lowest possible settings.
World in Conflict : very bad benchmark scores, stutters at scene change
Medal of Honor 2010 : Mircostutters.
Unigine Heaven benchmark : Microstutters. noticable at scene changes.
All of above games had zero issues with previous gtx 260. I always play at 1080p with 4X AA and sometimes 8X AA, Stuttering issues are however without FSAA and Vsync on and off are same.

Does Sparkle being cheaper than others have any role here.
November 10, 2010 6:18:06 PM

stutters could be due to overheating, hows the temps of the GPU?

And while we are talking about monitoring, I had an evil time tracking a similar prob once. I use ATI tray tools for OC and profile management, and to show fps counter in the bottom corner of the screen. It turns out that ATI tray tools has a FPS poller, and if it was displayed, every time it would grab the FPS reading, it would stutter. Once I removed the FPS polling option it was all good.

Might disable any kind of progs like that to test.
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 6:18:53 PM

I would RMA the card and if you get a second that does the same then consider using something differant. You have checked to see if there may be a compatability issue with the motherboard that requires a Bios update have you ?

Mactronix :) 
November 10, 2010 6:50:08 PM

BIOS is updated to last available. There is no application running in background.

However I do see an improvement that when I use older drivers the stuttering seems to last about 1ms and if I use newer drivers it jumps to 2 to 3ms. RMA is not going to help I suppose.

Card temperatures are good. 32 idle and 60 under full load. There are no artifacts whatsoever and I did the furmark burn test. No hangup or any kind of stability issue.

I guess thats it for Nvidia. I am shifting to ATI now. 6850 is way to go.
a b Î Nvidia
November 10, 2010 11:51:57 PM

many people are very hapy with gtx460's so dont go blaming nvidia. It could be a problem with the card, or incompatability with the motherboard (sometimes things jst dont work well together). But yeah, if you can, returrn it for a 6850 as its probably a slightly better all round card.
November 11, 2010 12:23:30 AM

NajamQ said:
BIOS is updated to last available. There is no application running in background.

However I do see an improvement that when I use older drivers the stuttering seems to last about 1ms and if I use newer drivers it jumps to 2 to 3ms. RMA is not going to help I suppose.

Card temperatures are good. 32 idle and 60 under full load. There are no artifacts whatsoever and I did the furmark burn test. No hangup or any kind of stability issue.

I guess thats it for Nvidia. I am shifting to ATI now. 6850 is way to go.

Are the clock speeds what they should be? Did you check with a program like Afterburner?

I had phantom fps drops on my 4890 recently, it would have a core clock of 240mhz while idle then with GPU activity it should have gone to 870mhz, however when I tabbed out and checked it was at 500mhz. I had to use ATItool to manually set the clock speed higher.

As far as stuttering goes, wouldn't that suggest a memory issue? It does indeed sound like an RMA job. Hope it doesn't take you as long as mine took. Sent it off on the 18th Oct, only just heard back today that my 4890 is dead and they were offering me 50% of what I paid :pfff:  for 10months use. GTX470 in the mail.
November 11, 2010 1:33:09 AM

Check if the pci-e power connector is inserted properly to the card's socket. Disconnect and re-connect it again.
November 18, 2010 4:29:09 AM

Best answer selected by NajamQ.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
November 18, 2010 7:18:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!