PC won't boot up after unexpected shutdown

AcePepto

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hey, i've been looking around online but can't seem to find the right solution, although i think its something to do with my PCU.

I've had problems with Blue Screens since i bought the PC off a friend last september, its blue-screened on my about 5 times since then. Last night i was playing World of Warcraft last night on Ultra graphics (using an nVidia GeForce 9500GT), i was in a dungeon fighting mobs, and also talking on Teamspeak when all of a sudden my PC just turned itself off, no shut down, just off, almost like a powercut. Now when i turn my PC back on, from pressing the power button it shuts itself off after 9-10 seconds.

Any suggestions? Im guessing its something to do with my PSU, as i unplugged everything (including GFX Card) and tried re-booting, but nothing worked. Im not too sure on my PC spec, i just know its a quad-core processor and my GFX card doesn't have an extra power supply, and the PC is not overclocked.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Your friend sold you a broken computer?
You need to list all the hardware and the operating system, maybe that will produce a solution.
However, I doubt that it's the power supply that is causing it.

JoshWS

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
This sounds more like a dead PSU than a CPU problem judging by the fact it was an instant shut down and wont power back on. If you can get hold of another PSU just to check if that is what is causing the problem, if it is you'll need a new one.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Classic signs of a heat/power issue. Please provide specs for the system, including make/model of the motherboard and power supply and a complete list of peripherals/devices installed.

Good luck!

AcePepto

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the quick responses everyone,

I'll try and find out what its running, as i have a really small knowledge of PC systems and how to find what is what :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Inside the case, stenciled on the motherboard, will be the make/model. On the side of the power supply, there should be a label with the same. We can deduce a lot from with that info. Looking at the memory, you should find a label on the memory itself, as well.

AcePepto

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
i cant find the make and model on the motherboard, just a bunch of serial numbers. Now my PC has just turned back on no-problems :S

On the side of the power supply, it says FSP Group, Model FSP250-60HEN.
Memory is Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320gb.

Sorry for the vagueness, if i can find more i'll post it up :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Okay, you have a fairly generic 250w PSU that is underwhelming at best. If you push the video card hard (and the rest of the system as well), you are probably maxing it out (and then some).

If it were me, I would swap that PSU for a much better one regardless. It is just plain weak for a quad core rig. By the way, is this a Dell or HP?

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
first switch power supply from input to output and unplug the cable.

look on your motherboard to see a cmos reset pin (3 pin). there should be a small plastic cap take that off but remember where you took it from.

Put in the power, switch to input, wait 5 seconds then turn on.

If you are able to power up, just go into windows turn off and replug that pin where you got it from.

AcePepto

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Its a Packard Bell PC. I've just bought a 450w power supply and now my PC turns on, but now my PC wont register my monitor and my monitor says "No Signal" and turns off. I know my cable is OK because i tested it on my laptop. I eventually got the monitor to register and then my PC got stuck on the Packard Bell "Press F2 to enter Setup......etc etc" screen and my PC made a loud high pitched note so i turned it off, and now it wont register my GFX card, or in the onboard GFX port.

Any ideas ? Thanks for the help with my first issue btw everyone :)

AcePepto

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
All fans go round, even the one on the GFX card. The computer boots up as normal without having my monitor plugged in. If i plug it in it boots up ok but doesnt send a signal to my monitor. It only made the beep that one time

Lady Fiona

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
This thread is several months old, so I don't know if anyone is still checking it, but here is my two cents.

The unexpected shutdown and no boot is probably a PSU issue. You got a new PSU, so that should be resolved.

The shutdown and/or a bad CMOS battery may have reset things in your BIOS (setup).

Try hitting F2 and going into BIOS and disabling your onboard graphics. Check any other graphics related settings to make sure they are accurate.

After disabling onboard graphics, uninstall any and all graphics drivers on the computer, use driver cleaner if you can.

Install the newest version drivers for your add-on graphics card.

If graphics are still messed up, uninstall your add-on card (open the case, disconnect any power cable, unscrew and pull it out). Then repeat above, this time ENABLING onboard graphics, and installing drivers for onboard graphics only. Visually check your add-on card for abnormalities such as dark or burned looking places; check for bulging or burst caps also.

The onboard and add-on are probably conflicting and/or one of them is BAD. You need to use process of elimination to find out which one it is!