Dell Precision™ Workstation 670 Computer

ih8all1987

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Hello, i have a dell precision 670 also but wont reconize the monitor what graphis card would fit? and what kind of ram should i use i got the tower from my work no ram or graphis card i tried to pt in old nvidia 128 mb card fits but no display tried to put ram in it but wont fit any suggestion thanks

itdoesnotcompute

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Hi If the memory chips are incompatible, it won't show you anything on the monitor...you need the correct chips.
I also have this same machine, Dell Precision 670. It wouldn't even show me a bios post when I first powered it up. It had 2 pc2 3200 infineon 512 meg chips in the 1st two dual channel mem slots.
The ram it uses is pc2 3200 type.... It won't take regular pc 3200 ram.I am using infineon ram ( 2x256 ) in the dual channel slots, and it works fine. I picked up this computer from a dumpster, and it had no video card in it either....I found an old pci 16 meg nvidia card, popped it in the pci slot ( not express ), and it worked with the generic vga driver in windows, so your 128 mb card should also work. I had to set the video settings in the bios for pci....it kept flashing the screen on & off until I changed it....it was set to pci express. I changed the ram to the 2 256 chips because one of the 512 chips was bad. You have to have two chips of the same type and size for the dual channel mem slots,and since one was bad, I opted for the 256 chips, and it's working ok. I am looking for a pci x video card that's compatible with this machine. This computer has two cpu slots, but only has one cpu in it, the Intel Xeon 3ghz cpu. I doubt I'll be putting in a second cpu....it meets my needs as is. I hope you get it working.

jojoo60

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I have Dell Precision 670 Workstation running on windows 7 Ultimate with 8 gig of ram (4 sticks of 2 gig pc2 ecc registered ram 3200) with a Evga Radeon 610 GT Pci Express. By the way if you want to install more than 4 gig of ram you need a memory fan cooler compatible with Dell Precision 670. The ram should be installed in identical pairs.
Just look in ebay Two of ebay sellers sells a compatible memory fan cooler and you can buy ram in ebay too. Dell precision 670 can accomodate as much as 16 gig of ram with memory cooling fan of course. It doesnot boot if you have more than 4gig of ram unless you have a memory cooling fan.