Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Questioning compatibility of my first build

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2011 12:28:51 AM

Seeing as I've always been a lemming and just bought pre-built computers my whole life, I figured it was time that I built my first computer and I'm starting to get worried about compatibility issues. I researched everything prior to ordering and had the warm fuzzy going into the purchase; however, reading more threads this weekend, I'm starting to worry. Things are going to start showing up Monday and I should have everything by Thursday to start the build and I'm wondering if this is going to be a functioning system or a pile of crap.

Can anyone tell me if this is going to fire up and run or "FIRE UP" & set off the smoke detector? Any comments will be appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz Quad Core
MB: MSI P55-CD53
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB)
Video: MSI N460GTX Hawk
Storage: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint HD103SJ
Optical: ASUS SATA 24xDVD Burner - Upgrading to Blu-ray later
PS: Cougar-PX700 700W
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm CPU Cooler
Network: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter
Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm
Monitors: 2 - ASUS 24" 1080P HDMI
Software: Microsoft Office 2010, Visio Pro, Adobe Photoshop/Design, AutoCad
Games: Starwars, BIOShock, Splinter Cell, Fallout, etc.

Best solution

January 10, 2011 1:31:04 AM

Looks good to me apart from the Cougar PSU which I have never seen before. I would save some money and get this Antec 650EA instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it has plenty of power to spare on top of running the system which would run fine on a quality 450 watt PSU.
January 10, 2011 1:41:28 AM

I appreciate the quick reply and I'm glad a second set of eyes thinks it will work for me.
The reason I went with 700W PS is that I've always read that the PS is usually the week point in the build and bigger is usually always better for upgrades to this system at a later time.
Related resources
January 10, 2011 1:47:31 AM

I have newer heard of Cougar PSU's before your post, recognized quality brands are Antec, Corsair, Seasonic and Enermax to name few. Bigger is not necessarily better if they are of bad quality although the specs on the cougar are very decent.
Ok just found out it is a rebrand for HEC (Compucase) here is a test http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cougar-GX-700-W-...
The Antec 650watt I linked to would as well be plenty for future upgrades to you system and costs less.
January 10, 2011 1:58:18 AM

With the 1156 platform sunsetting, I woulda waited for the 1155 based systems that arrived today. I mights made other choices but the only thing I'm concerned about is the PSU.
January 10, 2011 3:39:36 PM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cougar-GX-700-W-... <---- hardware secrets review of the cougar psu. They go pretty in depth and their only real complaint was that the psu will probably not supply the 80 plus gold certification for power usage in real world conditions. that being said it is always smart to protect your investment adn go with a known brand when possible.
January 17, 2011 1:54:15 PM

Best answer selected by RobJob.
!