Where to buy new battery

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 7:14:32 PM

Hi,

I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?

Thanks,
GT

More about : buy battery

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 3:54:47 AM

"gtodell@earthlink.net" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?
>
> Thanks,
> GT

Start off with eBay, running between $40-$60. Most 'internet stores' like
laptops.com and laptopparts.com, etc. charge WAAAAY too much($200+) for
batteries.

Bill
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 3:54:48 AM

Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

> "gtodell@earthlink.net" wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
>> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
>> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GT
>
> Start off with eBay, running between $40-$60. Most 'internet stores' like
> laptops.com and laptopparts.com, etc. charge WAAAAY too much($200+) for
> batteries.

The problem with ebay batteries is that one generally doesn't know where
they came from or how old they are--they may be no better than the one that
is being replaced.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

gtodell was snipped as asking:

>I need a new battery for my Thinkpad
>T23...

Check out www.batteryrefill.com I just had my T22 battery rebuilt for
US$ 69 at another poster's suggestion.

Regards,
John T
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 5:04:17 PM

After buying and returning many batteries from various places, I finally
just picked up the phone and called IBM. It turned out there price was
right in line with what the others were charging, and, there product was of
*much* better quality and I didn't need to return it. It also had 15% more
capacity than the third-party batteries (according to the ThinkPad battery
health utility, not according to anyone's published specs).

IBM parts: 800 388 7080

HTH,

Chip

<gtodell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?
>
> Thanks,
> GT

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2005 5:07:22 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
>
>> "gtodell@earthlink.net" wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
>>> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
>>> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> GT
>>
>> Start off with eBay, running between $40-$60. Most 'internet stores'
>> like
>> laptops.com and laptopparts.com, etc. charge WAAAAY too much($200+) for
>> batteries.
>
> The problem with ebay batteries is that one generally doesn't know where
> they came from or how old they are--they may be no better than the one
> that
> is being replaced.

That's exactly what I found. In addition, I had a problem with one
merchant, and since I had had to use PayPal to pay for it, I had no consumer
protection at all (PayPal was worse than useless).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 1:31:22 AM

"gtodell@earthlink.net" <gtodell@earthlink.net> writes:
> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?

I hate to say it but ebay works pretty well for this type of thing.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 11:32:16 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:

> "gtodell@earthlink.net" <gtodell@earthlink.net> writes:
>> I need a new battery for my Thinkpad T23 and would appreciate any
>> suggestions on reputable places where I can purchase one. Also, what
>> brand/type, etc. would be most reliable and long lasting?
>
> I hate to say it but ebay works pretty well for this type of thing.

For many things yes. Laptop batteries die the death whether you use them or
not and in many cases if they sit on the shelf long enough they disable
themselves by design. While ebay is good for many things, lithium ion
batteries are one thing that it's _not_ particularly good for. If you just
need a decor item to fill an empty hole maybe, but if you want a battery
that's going to work and hold a charge and don't want to have to go through
20 of them in the hopes of finding one that's good then it's better to buy
new.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
March 2, 2005 8:20:13 AM

hi
i bought mine from a person from ebay and i got a 1 year warrant on it and i
have not had any trouble with it ,,,,and i got it for $86 and from radio
shack they wanted $225 and i called IBM and they wanted $265 iuse a IBM
thinkpad i series 1300
and they guy gave me another 1 years warranty on it so i got 2 years on mine
but mine is still going
i love mine
tony

!