Ram Question

Last response: in Memory
December 9, 2011 10:15:34 PM

this is my new build:

MoboL: Asus sabertooth 990fx AM3+
CPU: Amd Phenom II x6 1100t
GPU: Amd Radeon 6870
PSU: OCZ ModXtreme 700w
RAM: Corsair Vengence 4gb 1600( CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 )

I ran out of funds in the end so i only got 1 stick of ram instead of a 16gb kit as i originally planned. Now that i have extra cash to spend im in the market for a 16gb kit.

But since i already have a good stick and there is a 12gb triple channel kit of the same model being sold at new egg is it possible that i snap in all four sticks in and run the 12gb kit on a triple channel and the last one on single channel? or will run all four on single channel when i snap in the lone wolf?

Would it make much of a difference in gaming(primarily bf3) if i run it on single channel?

More about : ram question

a c 128 } Memory
December 9, 2011 10:18:40 PM

No. Sell your leftover ram and get 2 kits of 8 gb Gskill ripjawsx 1600 for $30 at newegg (my link isn't working). I use ripjaws in my system, and they work great.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 9, 2011 10:52:02 PM

mismatched set of rams or different modules/manufacturers are the key reason why most people complain on these threads for a solution to their failed overclock, slow/crawling state of rig and most times BSOD's during operations or simply not booting up.

+ 5 to o1die's advice! I hear that ram will be this cheap for another year or so until DDR4 will come in.
m
l
!