Moon Part 2

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 26, 2005 6:37:05 AM

That is a nice photo of the moon.

This is my some-what fuzzy attempt at shooting the Moon.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~therealm/jeffbd/photo/moon...

Dimage 7i with 1/350 sec, ASA 200, f 1:9.5, fl 200mm (135 equivalent)
with a zoom doubler attached.

It was taken handheld standing on my balcony in suburban Sydney and is
a centre crop out of a much larger image.
I didn't see any improvement using a tripod.
Perhaps it is because it realy is beyond the capabilities of the lens
built into the Dimage 7i and the amount of polution (light and
particulate) over the city.

More about : moon part

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:58:13 PM

dj NME wrote:

> That is a nice photo of the moon.
>
> This is my some-what fuzzy attempt at shooting the Moon.
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~therealm/jeffbd/photo/moon...
>
> Dimage 7i with 1/350 sec, ASA 200, f 1:9.5, fl 200mm (135 equivalent)
> with a zoom doubler attached.
>
> It was taken handheld standing on my balcony in suburban Sydney and is
> a centre crop out of a much larger image.
> I didn't see any improvement using a tripod.
> Perhaps it is because it realy is beyond the capabilities of the lens
> built into the Dimage 7i and the amount of polution (light and
> particulate) over the city.

You should be getting better than that.. I'm wondering if the
doubler is causing the blur. Some of them are pretty rough optically.
I bought one of eBay years back for one of my cameras and it was
brutal. Of course, haze and rising heat can cause it too.

Have you tried a shot without the doubler.. The moon will be smaller,
but if it's sharper, you can blame the doubler :-)

FWIW, I took a shot of the moon almost 4 years ago using a simple
2 MP Canon Elph (aka Ixus).. It was the first digital Elph they made.
It was marketed in the US as the S-100. I got the photo by holding
the camera up to the eyepiece of a very cheap set of 10X binoculars :-)

The Elph is just a simple P&S with no manual mode, but I managed to
get a decent exposure by adjusting the exposure bias and.. believe
it or not, using the flash :)

http://www.mts.net/~jwt/elph-moon.jpg

I've upgraded somewhat since then :-)

http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/23754845