Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 to usb 2.0 header?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2011 3:42:19 AM

I bought a bundle pack from newegg and the case they gave me came with front USB 3.0 ports but the mobo only has USB 2.0 headers on it. Is there an adapter I can get to convert the usb 3.0 to usb 2.0, I don't mind losing the speeds, I just want to be able to use my front usb ports.

Thanks,
Jim

More about : usb usb header

a c 78 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:29:50 PM

No, USB 3.0 is a totally different configuration than 2.0. Does the case USB 3.0 cable have a connector you can plug into the rear panel of the motherboard? If so, use that, if not you won't be able to use the case's USB 3.0 connections.
December 14, 2011 6:05:18 AM

USB 3.0 is not a totally different configuration than USB 2.0. It just has 4 more wires to tranfer data - but the original four are still there. I was in the same situation as xboxps2gba, but there are no such adapters on the market. Therefore I decided to manufacture it myself.

Here's what you'll need to do. First figure out the pin-outs. The pin-out for the usb 2.0 is easy to find on web. For the usb 3.0 pin-out you'll have to consult a motherboard manual for a MB that supports usb 3.0. You can find it on any major manufacturers homepage, e.g. ASUS. Then you'll need to get a 10-pin 2.54mm female header (usb 2.0) and a 20-pin 2.0mm male header (usb 3.0), and some wires to connect them. I got all that from e-bay. Finally, just solder the pieces together, and you'll have your own cusom made adapter!
Related resources
February 25, 2013 9:01:34 AM

TimothyM said:
I found a cable for my MB that the 3.0 plug did not work with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Going to order it tomorow with my headsets.

I have the same challenge: a Silverstone Milo ML-02 chassis with 2 x USB 3.0 on the front panel and an ASRock a75M-ITX mb with USB 2.0 headers only. The chassis comes with Internal 19-Pin USB3.0 to USB2.0 Adapter Cable but it doesn't resolve the issue. Were you able to get it to work? If so, how/or what was your resolution?
April 14, 2013 4:57:47 PM

ajhosking said:
TimothyM said:
I found a cable for my MB that the 3.0 plug did not work with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Going to order it tomorow with my headsets.

I have the same challenge: a Silverstone Milo ML-02 chassis with 2 x USB 3.0 on the front panel and an ASRock a75M-ITX mb with USB 2.0 headers only. The chassis comes with Internal 19-Pin USB3.0 to USB2.0 Adapter Cable but it doesn't resolve the issue. Were you able to get it to work? If so, how/or what was your resolution?

forgot to even check this thread, I ordered that cable in the post, and it plugs into a regular USB port, and then has the 3.0 header on the other end, it runs at 2.0 speed, but the ports did run, I tested the mouse, keyboard and a camera on it. along with 2 USB headsets. It basically turned the front 3.0 ports into the slower version. which made the person I built the PC for happy once he realized he did not have to buy a new MB. He also told me to pick his parts next time :0
!