USB 3.0 to usb 2.0 header?

xboxps2gba

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I bought a bundle pack from newegg and the case they gave me came with front USB 3.0 ports but the mobo only has USB 2.0 headers on it. Is there an adapter I can get to convert the usb 3.0 to usb 2.0, I don't mind losing the speeds, I just want to be able to use my front usb ports.

Thanks,
Jim

ringelnattermann

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
USB 3.0 is not a totally different configuration than USB 2.0. It just has 4 more wires to tranfer data - but the original four are still there. I was in the same situation as xboxps2gba, but there are no such adapters on the market. Therefore I decided to manufacture it myself.

Here's what you'll need to do. First figure out the pin-outs. The pin-out for the usb 2.0 is easy to find on web. For the usb 3.0 pin-out you'll have to consult a motherboard manual for a MB that supports usb 3.0. You can find it on any major manufacturers homepage, e.g. ASUS. Then you'll need to get a 10-pin 2.54mm female header (usb 2.0) and a 20-pin 2.0mm male header (usb 3.0), and some wires to connect them. I got all that from e-bay. Finally, just solder the pieces together, and you'll have your own cusom made adapter!

ajhosking

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I have the same challenge: a Silverstone Milo ML-02 chassis with 2 x USB 3.0 on the front panel and an ASRock a75M-ITX mb with USB 2.0 headers only. The chassis comes with Internal 19-Pin USB3.0 to USB2.0 Adapter Cable but it doesn't resolve the issue. Were you able to get it to work? If so, how/or what was your resolution?

TimothyM

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

forgot to even check this thread, I ordered that cable in the post, and it plugs into a regular USB port, and then has the 3.0 header on the other end, it runs at 2.0 speed, but the ports did run, I tested the mouse, keyboard and a camera on it. along with 2 USB headsets. It basically turned the front 3.0 ports into the slower version. which made the person I built the PC for happy once he realized he did not have to buy a new MB. He also told me to pick his parts next time :0