Sign in with
Your question

Final check for first build

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2011 5:37:36 AM

Well, I've bought my components over the past few months, finishing with an i5-2500k like several other first builds on here. Should be ready to build later this week, so I figured I'd ask for a final compatibility check. I'm somewhat concerned about the sufficiency of the PSU, which I purchased before opting for an AMD 6950, which I might flash to 6970 specs. Here are my components:

Case - Cooler Master 960 Mid-ATX
PSU - Corsair 650TX
CPU - i5-2500k
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1333
GPU - Gigabyte AMD 6950
SSD - OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc DVD Burner
Wireless Card - AZiO Wirless PCI card
Monitor - Samsung BX2331 23" LED-LCD

More about : final check build

January 10, 2011 5:53:08 AM

Looks great and don't worry about the PSU,it's great and can handle your system fine.(Even with flashing to 6970)
m
l
January 10, 2011 6:15:19 AM

^ Like he said the PSU can handle the system fine,... So you not planning for Crossfire ?
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2011 6:25:55 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Like he said the PSU can handle the system fine,... So you not planning for Crossfire ?

Not in the immediate future, and not if I can get 6970 performance out of the 6950. I considered opting for a pricier motherboard (+~$30) capable of x8/x8 since the Gigabyte UD3 is limited by the x4 slot, and I could always flash the 6950 back for Crossfire to mitigate PSU concerns, but it would probably be overkill for me, if the 6950 wasn't overkill enough given my track record.
m
l
January 10, 2011 6:33:40 AM

^ Hmm,, then its fine, the 6950 is at stock a very powerful card and even more powerful when unlocked, so it should be fine,... And Yes, the UD3 wont be a good option to go Crossfire, but anyways when you feel you would need more power than the 6950, there would be newer cards maybe even the next generation ones so you can upgrade to them,...
Got the combos ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
l
January 10, 2011 8:02:03 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Hmm,, then its fine, the 6950 is at stock a very powerful card and even more powerful when unlocked, so it should be fine,... And Yes, the UD3 wont be a good option to go Crossfire, but anyways when you feel you would need more power than the 6950, there would be newer cards maybe even the next generation ones so you can upgrade to them,...
Got the combos ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

I actually ordered the CPU and mobo separately initially since I was in a rush. On a whim I checked the combos today, canceled the previous orders after the payments charged and consolidated them with the combo. Fairly pleased with the newegg experience.

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance, guys.
m
l
January 10, 2011 8:15:08 AM

^ Good Luck with the build,...
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:04:15 PM

So you already bought all the parts and now your asking for a compatability check?

Dont you think it would have been wiser to check compatability BEFORE buying all the parts? LOL
m
l
January 10, 2011 8:09:06 PM

geekapproved said:
So you already bought all the parts and now your asking for a compatability check?

Dont you think it would have been wiser to check compatability BEFORE buying all the parts? LOL

I've pieced the build together over about a month while doing a lot of research and keeping an eye out for sales/rebates, but before I set out to actually build it I figured I'd see if anyone with build experience saw any possible issues, especially given that I wound up with a few more powerful components than I'd initially planned on. I can handle replacing a component at this point, but I don't want to be disappointed with a build that fails to POST or something.
m
l
!