Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I go AM3+

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 5, 2011 1:46:48 AM

I just completed a new build and realized that my GA-890FXA-UD5 rev 2.1 will not be able to support Bulldozer. Apparently only the 3.1 rev of my board will have the black AM3+ socket and im out of luck.. I am currently using a 1090t

So in your guys opinions.. is it worth the hassle of refunding this board, paying shipping, restocking fee, buying a new board thats AM3+ and using my 1090t until Bulldozer drops in price a little and the 1090t is not pulling its weight anymore then upgrading. OR should I just deal with it and buy a new mobo later when I upgrade CPU.

Thanks



MOBO GA-890FXA-UD5 rev2.1
GPU 6950 2Gb
CPU 1090t
8 Gb Corsair Vengeance

More about : am3

a c 191 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 2:14:54 AM

I doubt you are going to go to the effort of upgrading the CPU in a few months, and returning the board for the new revision without any idea of bulldozers performance doesnt seem like a great idea to me, and im willing to bet that by the time you actually do get around to upgrading your CPU you will need a new motherboard anyway.
m
0
l
April 5, 2011 8:45:39 AM

I would return and get the AM3+ model, it is likely that bulldozer will be a hell of a lot better than phenom 2
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 5, 2011 9:14:52 AM

ts631 said:
I just completed a new build and realized that my GA-890FXA-UD5 rev 2.1 will not be able to support Bulldozer. Apparently only the 3.1 rev of my board will have the black AM3+ socket and im out of luck.. I am currently using a 1090t

So in your guys opinions.. is it worth the hassle of refunding this board, paying shipping, restocking fee, buying a new board thats AM3+ and using my 1090t until Bulldozer drops in price a little and the 1090t is not pulling its weight anymore then upgrading. OR should I just deal with it and buy a new mobo later when I upgrade CPU.

Thanks



MOBO GA-890FXA-UD5 rev2.1
GPU 6950 2Gb
CPU 1090t
8 Gb Corsair Vengeance


I have two opinions, one I agree with this \/\/\/\/

hunter315 said:
I doubt you are going to go to the effort of upgrading the CPU in a few months, and returning the board for the new revision without any idea of bulldozers performance doesnt seem like a great idea to me, and im willing to bet that by the time you actually do get around to upgrading your CPU you will need a new motherboard anyway.


But also if you bought the mobo from Newegg you could contact there customer support ( I usually use there live chat ) and explain that situation. Most of the time they'll be glad to waive the restocking fee for good reason, and since you will be a returning customer for a newer product when it is released. Again they'll probably be happy to do it. I've returned 3 things in the last couple weeks, and they've waived the restocking fee for me each time, once without me even asking. I didn't even have a reason, I just asked lol. If you did not buy it from Newegg, you could also try the above to the other company and possibly get the same outcome.

As hunter315 said though, not knowing the performance on the bulldozer kind of makes this useless to do, other then the future upgrading possibility given to you. If I were you I'd contact newegg see if they'd waive the restocking fee and if they would, then i'd return it and get the other board if not, odds are they'll be even better boards out when they release it, and boards that will be optimized to run the bulldozer.
Share
a c 108 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 11:38:18 AM

metallifux said:
I would return and get the AM3+ model, it is likely that bulldozer will be a hell of a lot better than phenom 2


This.
m
0
l
April 5, 2011 6:47:11 PM

Best answer selected by TS631.
m
0
l
a c 108 à CPUs
April 5, 2011 7:29:25 PM

Worst. Advice. Ever.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2011 7:47:41 AM

Agree
m
0
l
a c 108 à CPUs
April 6, 2011 1:25:32 PM

If I was too harsh I apologize to anyone offended :) 

But the fact remains that (future) compatibility with BD is a big deal, and I question the wisdom of 'simply' changing the motherboard when you change the CPU. As noted, at a minimum, a discussion should be started for a possible return.

Your OS is effectively licensed to that specific motherboard, and unless you choose to violate the terms of the EULA, the cost of a new operating system alone may well exceed half the cost of the 'new' CPU (without including the additional cost of the new mb, too).
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:22:47 PM

Wisecracker said:
Worst. Advice. Ever.


Wisecracker said:
If I was too harsh I apologize to anyone offended :) 

But the fact remains that (future) compatibility with BD is a big deal, and I question the wisdom of 'simply' changing the motherboard when you change the CPU. As noted, at a minimum, a discussion should be started for a possible return.

Your OS is effectively licensed to that specific motherboard, and unless you choose to violate the terms of the EULA, the cost of a new operating system alone may well exceed half the cost of the 'new' CPU (without including the additional cost of the new mb, too).


Not saying that your wrong but I was always told that you could "transfer" installs for windows. As long as the previous computer was not using the software. He should return it and get a motherboard compatible with BD, because as Metallifux said, it is likely that bulldozer will be a hell of a lot better than phenom 2.

From the EULA:

Quote:
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. Except as allowed in Section 2 (b) below, you may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.
c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
d. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
e. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows you to do so. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.


The EULA says nothing about using it on one motherboard, the only limits the EULA puts on the software would be the amount of computers using the software, and how many processors are going to use the software. So technically he wouldn't be breaking the EULA by following what I said, if I am wrong then so be it, I'll admit it and learn something.

EDIT: I would like the add as well, the the EULA doesn't change much on the subject for windows 7 professional and ultimate. He is still able to transfer his software to another computer as long as it doesn't violate the rest of the EULA which it wont because he wouldn't be changing anything except the motherboard. Once he changes the CPU to the BD he would have to buy another OS unless he chose to violate the EULA and use the software past the new CPU.
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:42:00 PM

Wisecracker said:
Worst. Advice. Ever.


posting
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:42:43 PM

Wisecracker said:
Worst. Advice. Ever.


like this
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 2:43:24 PM

Wisecracker said:
If I was too harsh I apologize to anyone offended :) 

But the fact remains that (future) compatibility with BD is a big deal, and I question the wisdom of 'simply' changing the motherboard when you change the CPU. As noted, at a minimum, a discussion should be started for a possible return.

Your OS is effectively licensed to that specific motherboard, and unless you choose to violate the terms of the EULA, the cost of a new operating system alone may well exceed half the cost of the 'new' CPU (without including the additional cost of the new mb, too).



is f#$% lame
m
0
l
April 6, 2011 4:10:41 PM

Wisecracker said:
Worst. Advice. Ever.


Just as an update for anyone in similar situation that happens to view this thread. I told newegg the situation, they gave me refund RMA number, waived restocking fee, and provided prepaid return shipping label. So it works out. Now i just need to find a decent 890FX mobo that is AM3+ I liked the gigabyte one despite the ugly colors they use but im not sure what luck ill have getting a 3.1 revision since they sound like there's only a handful out there.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
m
0
l
a c 108 à CPUs
April 6, 2011 5:09:12 PM

ts631 said:
Just as an update for anyone in similar situation that happens to view this thread. I told newegg the situation, they gave me refund RMA number, waived restocking fee, and provided prepaid return shipping label. So it works out. Now i just need to find a decent 890FX mobo that is AM3+ I liked the gigabyte one despite the ugly colors they use but im not sure what luck ill have getting a 3.1 revision since they sound like there's only a handful out there.

Thanks for the replies everyone!


That's a wise decision [:jaydeejohn:5] good luck on finding that 'black socket' motherboard!

@luckychalmz: Since he is building his own rig I suspect the OP purchased an OEM version of Windows. Different EULA.


m
0
l
April 6, 2011 5:16:50 PM

Wisecracker said:


@luckychalmz: Since he is building his own rig I suspect the OP purchased an OEM version of Windows. Different EULA.


indeed its a Win 7 64 bit OEM upgrade version I have installed it over and over and always works and registers just fine. Thanks again for the great info! ;) 
m
0
l
April 9, 2011 7:44:00 AM

Glad everything worked out for ya.
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 3:09:51 AM

Send the board back, this encourages Gigabyte and other brands to incorporate the new technology into their old board. It is as simple as a bios update.

They are able to do so by releasing a bios update but are unwilling to because they want you to upgrade.

"They want your money"

"want your money"

"your money"
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 12:10:11 PM

/b/? lol

Yeah I sent the board back to newegg awhile ago and went with an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3.0, supposedly with this board which has the old white AM3 socket is supposed to be compatible with a beta BIOS which is already posted on the Asus download site. MSI does it this way too.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2011 5:42:28 PM

hunter315 said:
I doubt you are going to go to the effort of upgrading the CPU in a few months, and returning the board for the new revision without any idea of bulldozers performance doesnt seem like a great idea to me, and im willing to bet that by the time you actually do get around to upgrading your CPU you will need a new motherboard anyway.

+1
m
0
l
!