Sign in with
Your question

Video and audio through HDMI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2010 2:04:43 AM

Hello, I have some really nice bose 7.1 surround speakers... and I'm a gamer. I really want to be able to get good quality audio and want to know how to get the audio to come out of the HDMI cable, in a nutshell. Do I need to buy a video card that supports some sort of integration into the HDMI port? If I do, what is this listed under on the video card specs? I can't seem to figure this out. I have an Asus M4A79T mobo and a PhenomII 955. Currently using an ATI HIS 256 video card that has HDMI output... not sure what model.. but my b/f and I have tried to get the audio to work through the HDMI and I'm not sure I can with my current hardware. :) 

-Natasha

More about : video audio hdmi

a c 235 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 2:13:56 AM

hi, do you know what specific video card you have? you can download a tool like speccy and it will tell you. you plan to run the HDMI cable to an audio/video receiver?

http://www.piriform.com/speccy
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:19:08 AM

I do, I have a pretty nice receiver that happily accepts HDMI input. Here's what I got off speccy: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series (ATI AIB). If you need to know anything else just ask; I've been trying to figure this out for months :fou: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 2:46:28 AM

the 3xxx tended to have HDMI audio issues. I assume you checked your audio/ speaker default in control panel? If so, you can always get a sound card with optical out and run that to your receiver.

* edit you can also check in your BIOS that mobo audio has been turned off but usually that is automatic.
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:50:49 AM

So my video card actually does do hdmi audio out? I'm using optical out but my boyfriend said it wasn't getting the full quality blah blah I don't know why lol. He stuck one of those component cables in there and said it was the same thing... I'm not even sure if this is true!
m
l
November 11, 2010 2:52:48 AM

er ^^^ my MB has an optical out that I'm using right now. I think that's what's going on anyway...
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 2:56:34 AM

digital audio is digital audio (its all bits) be it on a HDMI cable or optical one.

your boyfriend is using coaxial audio out? you kind of lost me. he stuck a component cable into the video card and receiver? coaxial digital input/output?
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 2:57:28 AM

cactuspancake said:
er ^^^ my MB has an optical out that I'm using right now. I think that's what's going on anyway...

then you are good to go for sound. your mobo is most likely over riding your card's HDMI out
m
l
November 11, 2010 3:43:48 AM

right thanks. So I guess the REAL problem is that I supposedly can't get surround because it's coded differently from videogames such as Team Fortress 2. I guess it outputs in analog and my output is digital? Do I need a sound card with certain decoding features in order to get this to work? I just want to have surround sound in my games.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 3:50:39 AM

cactuspancake said:
right thanks. So I guess the REAL problem is that I supposedly can't get surround because it's coded differently from videogames such as Team Fortress 2. I guess it outputs in analog and my output is digital? Do I need a sound card with certain decoding features in order to get this to work? I just want to have surround sound in my games.

go into your control panel / speakers & audio devices. look at the defaults, they are probably set up for 2.0 or 2.1. change your speaker set up to 5.1 or 7.1.
m
l
!