Sign in with
Your question

Is there a clear VALUE winner? :bounce:

Last response: in Components
April 5, 2011 3:40:47 AM

Is there a clear winner among these cases?

Considering VALUE for good airflow & how quiet they might be. (Although I recall someone said that in the open-mesh gamer type cases, once the case & CPU fans are quiet, the video card is the noisemaker. Maybe?) Right now my (old) Q6600 system is in an ANTEC P182B w/ a TUNIQ Tower 120 CPU cooler.

For the new system:

I can get a CM HAF 912 for $50. Figure new fans (2x200mm) would add another $40. Additional 140mm another $15-$20 if needed.

I can get a CM 690 II Advanced for $75. Black interior, tool-less operation, plenty of 140mm & 120mm fans, space for future WC(?).

I can get a CM HAF 922 for $90...but it doesn't look like you can get to the front dust filters, short MB tray, not as wide as the 912, but a little longer. Has 200mm fans & tool-less op, but no black interior.

Or the HAF 912 Advanced for about $115. (i.e., for about the same as a re-fanned HAF912, also get black interior & tool-less operation.

Above this it starts (?) to get pricey (too me). CORSAIR 600T for $135. CM Storm Sniper $150. :pt1cable: 

Am I wrong, or did I just talk myself into the CM 690 II Advanced??? I must admit, I like the looks of the HAF 912 ADVANCED.
(P.S. Have many of you been bit by the reported/purported CM case controller problems? Shorts & re-starts? Is it real?)

More about : clear winner bounce

a b ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 5:24:26 AM

If you like the 690, get it. It looks nice. One of the nicer cases for the price.
m
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 5:40:34 AM

The 690 is surely a nice case and good bang for the buck.. However, you can't compare it with something more pricier such as the Storm Sniper which has got more space and a better airflow setup.. At the end of it, it depends on what hardware you need to fit in (current and future)..
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 5, 2011 3:46:27 PM

I'm not a gamer, so not big on big-$ or multi vid-cards. But I do like to overclock on air to a reasonable (IMHO) extent. Not RAIDing yet, but that might change.

I've actually inspected these cases recently at a local retailer. Somebody (nicely) correct me if I'm wrong on the following:

HAF 912 left side fan (if used) is low, over vid card and should not interfere w/ CPU cooler. CM says 175mm Cooler clearance. This case internally should fit all air-coolers including ARCHON, NH-D14 & others cleanly. Note both side panels must be removed (add 2 thumb screws) to get to the filter underneath the front bezel. Compared to the HAF 922, the squeeze is mainly in the case depth.

The HAF 912 ADVANCED ditto. It might be the quieter one? as the OEM fans are generally the larger ones at 200mm front & top and bigger fans tend to run lower RPM for the same CFM. (Obviously all fans - 120mm, 140mm & 200mm etc. -- could be RPM controlled for sound.) Like the 690IIA, there is a USB 3.0 port.

CM says the 690 II Advanced can fit 177mm CPU coolers, but this looks like that assumes only the lower of the 2 left side fans is utilized. It looks like the upper side fan would be over the CPU cooler and would reduce the available height by 1+ inch (1in = 25.4mm) and would preclude even the 160mm height coolers. However, this fan hole need not be used. It is the only case with the HD dock built in (although I already have an external one, but used together a dual dock!).

CM says the HAF922 can fit 160mm CPU coolers (sorry no Archon per CM). However, this might assume use of the large (200mm) side fan. If so, maybe the larger coolers would fit. However, a high airflow case where it's an even bigger PITA to clean the filters (get out your screw driver) doesn't make sense to me.

So on the face of it, for me it appears to come down to the higher cost but possibly quieter HAF 912 Advanced vs. the cheaper, fuller featured (easier to clean filters & dock) & more flexible (W-C rad room, should I ever want it???) but possibly noisier (lots of 120mm fans in addition to the 140mm fan options) without fan control 690 II Advanced.

Close. Does this appear to weigh in for the 690 II Advanced to you? :bounce: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 5, 2011 5:12:39 PM

I am not sure. I would just get the one that is most quite, looks best, and you like the most.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 6, 2011 12:07:49 PM

I have a CM690II and there's no way you can fit a cpu cooler over 161mm in it.
I have a 212+ in mine with not much room to spare.
The 922 (10") is wider then the 912 (9.10").
Where are you getting you're info from?
The CM690II doesn't have USB 3.0 and is 8.4" wide.
I have an Antec 902 which is quieter and wider then the CM 690II btw.
Value wise the ANTEC 300 Illusion is hard to beat.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The CM690II is still a very good case and i recommend them.
I bought my 690II and 902 cuz i don't like the HAF series look.
m
l
June 9, 2011 2:32:22 PM

davcon said:
I have a CM690II and there's no way you can fit a cpu cooler over 161mm in it.
I have a 212+ in mine with not much room to spare.

Hi there, is this with or without the side fan?

On the coolermaster site:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6649...
it says that the CM 690 II has:

Quote:
Maximum Compatibility
CPU cooler height:177.0mm

I have the CM 690 (max compatibility 176.7mm), and was planning on getting the thermalright archon ~ 170.25mm in height. But if what you said was correct , then I have no hope of fitting it into my case :S
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 2:34:13 PM

This is a 2 month old thread.
m
l
June 9, 2011 2:36:27 PM

sorry >< i misread the date.
i saw that the last post was on "04-06-2011", and thought that was the 4th of june.
my mistake :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2011 11:34:25 PM

chunkystyler said:
Hi there, is this with or without the side fan?

On the coolermaster site:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6649...
it says that the CM 690 II has:

Quote:
Maximum Compatibility
CPU cooler height:177.0mm

I have the CM 690 (max compatibility 176.7mm), and was planning on getting the thermalright archon ~ 170.25mm in height. But if what you said was correct , then I have no hope of fitting it into my case :S

Make sure you can get a refund on your HSF so if it doesn't fit you can get your money back. If CM says you can, I think you could.
m
l
!