Computer reboots right after turning on

karkarran

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello,
I have an Asus P8P67 motherboard and i recently connected my video card to the motherboard SPDIF connection to run my audio through the video card's HDMI connection. Ever since, whenever I turn my computer on it runs for a few seconds then reboots once. The first time it did this my BIOS flashed a warning screen about how the computer could not accept my "overclocking values" . Nothing on my computer is over clocked. I went into the BIOS setup after that to try to change it , but my screen only displayed the top left corner and i couldnt see the full bios setup to change anything. I have not seen that screen since and my computer still reboots after start up. After the reboot it works fine. Thank you for any advice.

Running Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 Revision 3.0 motherboard,
12 GB 1600 mhz DDR3 Patriot Viper Extreme RAM,
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40 ghz CPU,
Palit nVidia GTX 260 Sonic 2165P factory overclocked video card,
ULTRA LS500 500W ATX power supply
Hitachi 1TB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive

Solution
I did have exactly the problem you are describing. It seems i was able to solve it by rearranged the connections. Acutally i am not sure what exactly was there reason for it. I have two hypothesis:

The first one is just a bad connection of the video card to the power supply. The connection seemed a bit unstable so i rearranged the cables to make it better.

The second is that i had connected quite some hardware on one of the rails of the power supply. I have an Antec CP-850 850W power supply with 4 rails, each capable of supplying about 20 A. I missed that part and had connected almost everything on one of the rails. Probably the peak power at turn on is above that limit and the power supply was restarting. I rearranged the cable...

tiwanow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hi karkarran,

I am experiencing the same problem. I have very similar to your system. I just built it myself and before I installed Windows 7 it didn't have any problems with rebooting on start up.

My system:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 Revision 3.0 motherboard,
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40 ghz CPU,
12 GB 1600 mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM,
Saphire Radeon 6850 - 2 GB
Antec CP-850 - 850 W ATX power supply,
OCZ Aguility SATA 3 SSD hard drive

Did you find the cause/solution of your problem ?

karkarran

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I have not, when i try google-ing it, all the problems (and solutions) seem to be a bit different from mine, just different enough that the solution won't work. If I do find a solution I will let you know. Right now im going to try to get my BIOS setup to display in full, maybe that will help.

tiwanow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I did have exactly the problem you are describing. It seems i was able to solve it by rearranged the connections. Acutally i am not sure what exactly was there reason for it. I have two hypothesis:

The first one is just a bad connection of the video card to the power supply. The connection seemed a bit unstable so i rearranged the cables to make it better.

The second is that i had connected quite some hardware on one of the rails of the power supply. I have an Antec CP-850 850W power supply with 4 rails, each capable of supplying about 20 A. I missed that part and had connected almost everything on one of the rails. Probably the peak power at turn on is above that limit and the power supply was restarting. I rearranged the cable balancing the load over all of the rails.

The result was that so far i don't experience the restart on turn on any more...

Solution

karkarran

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Mine seems to have fixed itself as well. When I restarted my computer to get into the BIOS controls it did not reboot on startup.

My hypothesis for my machine is that I had earlier gone into the BIOS (at part screen display) and unchecked "turbo mode" as well as a couple of other enhancement type things to do with the CPU. When the computer restarted from that, it rebooted during start up which made me think I hadn't been successful. But then when I completely turned off and on my computer (instead of restart button) it didn't reboot during startup , so maybe it just needed a full on/off cycle to kick in.

As of now, with several restarts and on/offs since, it hasn't rebooted once.

joshtoomer96

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I have installed the a new power supply and the fans but now my computer reboots when I turn it on and then just the fans are on and it doesn't boot up? There is a 8 pin power connector on the motherboard however I do not have correct pattern with th cable on mine so placed the only one 8 pin connector I have?
Please help me!!

TRENDING THREADS