Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Specific Manufacturer 5850 vs GTX 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2010 3:39:52 AM

Please forgive me guys, and at the risk of sounding like a noob, but I must ask for your opinion.

I can't decide between Asus EAH5850 DirectCU TOP and the EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked. In light of all the recent discounts, I can pick them both up for relatively decent prices, $300 and $330 to my door respectively.

I've owned both ATD and nVidia cards and although they both have some faults, I can live with either.

I'm on the fence and can use some intelligent input/criticism. I've read reviews for both and conclude they both are excellent cards, performing that little bit more than their reference designs intended.

This will likely be for a single card system, although I haven't decided yet. Or I may wait another month and see what AMD has in store for us. What do you think, should I wait? pull the trigger?

Your thoughts?

Many thanks

Best solution

November 11, 2010 4:37:06 AM

ramdmc said:
Please forgive me guys, and at the risk of sounding like a noob, but I must ask for your opinion.

I can't decide between Asus EAH5850 DirectCU TOP and the EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked. In light of all the recent discounts, I can pick them both up for relatively decent prices, $300 and $330 to my door respectively.

I've owned both ATD and nVidia cards and although they both have some faults, I can live with either.

I'm on the fence and can use some intelligent input/criticism. I've read reviews for both and conclude they both are excellent cards, performing that little bit more than their reference designs intended.

This will likely be for a single card system, although I haven't decided yet. Or I may wait another month and see what AMD has in store for us. What do you think, should I wait? pull the trigger?

Your thoughts?

Many thanks

Choose a card you think that will satisfy what you want it to do now and hopefully for a few years... new cards and bigger and better cards will come out as time passes and long with price drops - if you wait you may wait longer than you want... Both are good cards and I was contemplating between a ATI 5850 and GTX 470....I finally pulled the trigger on a GTX 470 and I am very happy with its performance... before I pulled the trigger I was waiting for the new AMDs and Nvidias coming out... but I ran into a GTX 470 at my price point and picked one up. The GTX 470 has a larger memory bus at 320 bit and more DDR5 memory at 1280, it also has HDMI 1.4 - heat is not really an issue for me because my case has good airflow with 3 fans... :lol: 
a c 91 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 10:28:54 AM

Been there done that. I assume by the price..$300 it's the over clocked Gigabyte ? I wouldn't waste my time on a non over clocked. Better buy IMO and you get physx to boot. Can't beat it. I also got an ASUS 5850, nice card but kinda like the Nvidia better.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 11, 2010 1:27:33 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, you make valid points, pick the card you like since they are very close performance wise. The last 4 cards I've owned have been ATIs and have been happy with them although I recently played on a nVidia GPU machine and was pleased with the video, I can't put my finger on it but the picture was a tad "softer".

I'm worried about heat on the 470 but have a well ventilated Antec P183 case so shouldn't have any issues. I've also read nothing but good reviews about EVGA cards and their after sales service appeals to me although I've never had any issues with Asus cards in the past.

While I'm at it, I've been debating CPU/MB combos, I'd like to stay Intel and again, am on the fence. Considering an ASUS P7P55D-E LX and Intel Core i5 760 combo, or would you suggest spending a bit more and going the LGA 1366 route? If so, do you have any suggestions on a decent cpu/mobo combo with good O/C results?

Forgive me for all the questions, but trying to make an informed decision and would like to consider all options/suggestions.

Thanks in advance

RC
November 11, 2010 9:37:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've narrowed it down to the i5 760 but considering the i7 875K, is it worth the $80 premium?
Also, was set on the ASUS P7P55D-E LX as it's a no nonsense, good motherboard, but if I choose to SLI in the future would the P7P55D-E PRO be the SLI equivalent? Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks again, this started as a GPU question thread and turned into this. :whistle: 

a c 539 U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 11:06:31 PM

The i7 875K is an unlocked processor, so it is ideal for overclockers, all you do is up the multiplier to overclock. At stock, the big difference will be that the i7 has hyperthreading, and the i5 760 does not. This means that the i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads (virtual CPU's) and the i7 has 4 cores and 8 threads. The i7 will be better, but the question is how fast do you need it to be? The i5 is fast as well, but does not handle multi-threaded applications as well. I get a 3D Mark Vantage CPU score of 55,000 at stock on my i7 875K.
November 22, 2010 3:38:45 AM

Best answer selected by ramdmc.
a c 271 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 10:20:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!