Running Dual Monitors

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hey all, Simple question.

I've just built a new system using the MSI 880GM-E41 mobo, running Windows 7. It's all fine and ticking along nicely.

I decided to put my old VGA - ATI HD 4650, this also works fine, was detected and started straight on boot, as expected. The problem is I was hoping to be able to run a second monitor off the on-board card.

Basically, how can I get this to work, or, can this work? Yes I know the VGA can run 2 monitors on it's own, but just for the moment I would like to run 1 off the VGA and 1 off the on-board, if possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

The onboard HD 4250 is capable of doing dual monitors just fine (one DVI and the other DSUB). You should be able to get your 4650 to work along with the on-board 4250 by setting it as your primary display in the BIOS.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
OK great thanks. I was always pretty certain they would work. Just wasn't sure. Since putting the 4650 into the system it has obviously taken precidence over the onboard. HOwever I can't seem to get the onboard to work with it.

In the BIOS I have "Primary Display Adapter" set to PCI-E which fits, hence the reason the 4650 took off straight away. However it seems to have overriden the option for the onboard to work with it. I'm not too good with BIOS, as you may have realised lol, so any pointers on what I've missed would be great thank you.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Forgive me for being completely stoopid :) But by "D-Sub" you are referring to the standard VGA plug? If so that is what I have plugged into with my secondary monitor with no luck.

The primary is plugged into the 4650 card using a HDMI to VGA adapter.

The onboard doesn't show in Device manager. So I went back into the BIOS, Enabled "On-Chip VGA" and then saw the options expand for "Surround View" this was set to "Auto" I left it as is and exitted BIOS. Nothing happened.

I went back and this time changed "Surround View" to "Enabled". As per the note on that key, I believed it to be the correct option if I had PCI-e enabled as my primary, which I have.

Upon restart, Device Manager shows the Default VGA device. But it is not working. Saying "This device is not working. Code 10" (something like that) I unistalled and re-installed the driver with no effect.

So at some point it does show that they are there, but I am thinking that as soon as another card is installed the onboard shuts off...I didn't think a new board like this would have this setup, at least I thought you would be able to enable it. It's a shame.

Any other ideas? I'm searching on the interwebs but as yet no luck.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Whether it was Installing Windows Updates, or the Catalyst Control Center, either way, my second monitor sprung to life this morning :)

Thank you for you help :)