Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sabertooth x58 not detecting SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
December 10, 2011 11:00:28 AM

Hi,
I can't seem to get past the boot screen as it's looking for a boot disk or asking me to boot from a CD-ROM. I checked the boot priority and the SATA is not detecting the SSD and my Seagate hardrive it only detects the CD-ROM drive. This problem seem to start when I left a USB flash drive connected and for some reason my computer rebooted.
December 10, 2011 11:25:21 AM

Forgot to add in my blue boot screen it only list my usb external drive and my seagate hardrive but not the OCZ SSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 11:30:54 AM

Try changing the Power connector to the SSD. And also try a different SATA port and cable.
My suggestion disconnect all the drives from the mobo, remove the ODD's SATA power and SATA cable and connect it to the SSD's SATA and Power. Now boot, get into the BIOS, check and see if it shows up. Assign it as the primary boot device.
Get a new SATA Cable for the ODD and use a different power connector for it and then connect it to another port on the Mobo and check again if the ODD is then detected.

And while booting if you have too much of crap connected to the USB ports, always make sure that your Primary Boot Device it the OS HDD and the rest are all disabled. This save the system in boot up time and also from any boot sector viruses from damaging the rig.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2011 12:30:20 PM

I disconnected all the SATA drives and connected the CD-ROM SATA cable to the SSD and the CD-ROM power connection to the SSD. I rebooted and in the BIOS I can't see the SSD. Does that mean it's dead? My OS is on the SSD. This is the second one I've had to install in just over a year. How do I check if it's corrupt? If it is do you recommend I re-install the OS on the Seagate....Really not sure how much faster the SSD is then just on the seagate.
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:07:03 PM

The SSD is a few seconds faster than the seagate platter drive. It's pretty ok when it comes to launching programs that's where it's quite a bit faster.
Yes, there is a possibility that the SSD is dead, by the way, what is the make and model of the SSD, where did you buy it from, the first SSD and the second one too?
Firstly, to be able to check it , it needs to show up in the BIOS as a drive, if that is not happening, as is in your case, then there is no other thing left than giving it a last shot and trying it out in a external USB enclosure.
I would recommend you installing the OS on the Seagate drive for the time being until the Problem is figured out.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:09:49 PM

no matter which cable I use or which port I connect to the the HD and the SSD the only thing detected on the BIOS main menu is the CD-ROM. Everything else say no detected. Is it possible both my SSD and HD are dead at the same time? It just doesn't seem to detect the HD's
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:11:37 PM

Did you change any setting in the BIOS prior to this?
Did you try to just change the Power of the ODD to the SSD?
It could also be a dead power line for the SATA connection.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:14:59 PM

The SSD is OCZ Vertex 2 120GB. The first one was purchased from NCIX the second one was sent to me by OCZ under warranty.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:17:00 PM

alyoshka said:
Did you change any setting in the BIOS prior to this?
Did you try to just change the Power of the ODD to the SSD?
It could also be a dead power line for the SATA connection.

Yes changed the power from the ODD to the SSD.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:20:12 PM

Didn't change any setting in the BIOS prior to this problem
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:20:50 PM

OMG!! I just checked the comments for this drive on Newegg. It seems that they have a lot, by a lot, I mean a hell of a lot of bad drives, drives dying within 4 to 6 months.
That is bad news for you.
Get the drive replaced by the manufacturer again and tell them if it lead to a 3 time , you will charge them for Data Loss in court for selling and replacing their products with faulty products.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:26:24 PM

no kidding I was afraid of that. So if my Seagate is not detected in the BIOS right now will it be if I try to install the OS again on it? Of does the Seagate need to be detected to install the OS again?
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:28:56 PM

:)  Yes, the Seagate needs to be detected in the BIOS first to be able to install the OS on it.
While you're at it, read thru this Page and try out the same steps also.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264193-32-vertex-prob...

The problem the OP has faced sound similar to yours.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:49:30 PM

That fix seems interesting but how do I reintall the windows if I can't detect the SSD?
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 3:39:50 PM

Yeah, I thought about that too. But it's an interesting fix for slightly less faulty SSDs anyway.
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:59:19 PM

Is there anything I can do to the motherboard to detect the hd and the ssd? Is it the motherboard that drives the detection of the drives or do the drives communicate back to the motherboard that they are there? Not sure of that works. Just trying to determine if both my drives are dead or it's something on the motherboard. I don't have anything to check these two drives with?
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 3:25:34 AM

It's both ways. But the easiest way to check the Mobo is and was by plugging the ODD into all it's ports one by one and see if the BIOS detected it in every port. If it does, that just shows that the Mobo is fine.
The problem exists with the SSD & the HDD. The SSD you need to send back for replacement, send the last receipt numbers too to let them know this will be your 3 Piece of equipment and it's starting to become a bad joke.
For the HDD if it is under the warranty, you can check that out from seagate's website, they have a warranty checker and are very prompt with their replacements. You'll need that replaced as it's not showing up either in the BIOS.
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:34:03 AM

What revision of the BIOS are you running? Alyoshka makes great general comments but really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about unfortunately when it comes to your system.

I'm running an X58 Sabertooth myself and have had drive identity issues a couple times now.

After noting the BIOS version you are currently using, are you using the Marvel controller SATA ports or the Intel SATA ports?

In the BIOS, do you have the Marvel controller set to IDE or set to AHCI? Same with the Intel controller, what is it set to, IDE, RAID, or AHCI?

Thanks
m
l
December 11, 2011 8:44:38 PM

ChaoticG8R said:
What revision of the BIOS are you running? Alyoshka makes great general comments but really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about unfortunately when it comes to your system.

I'm running an X58 Sabertooth myself and have had drive identity issues a couple times now.

After noting the BIOS version you are currently using, are you using the Marvel controller SATA ports or the Intel SATA ports?

In the BIOS, do you have the Marvel controller set to IDE or set to AHCI? Same with the Intel controller, what is it set to, IDE, RAID, or AHCI?

Thanks

I had the SDD and the CD-ROM always plugged into the Intel 1-6 SATA ports. The Seagate HD was always plugged into the Marvell SATA 6Gb/s connector. I thought the Marvell was part of the 6 SATA ports not detected but is was always there. So what I did was tried installing Windows again on my HD and not using the SSD at all as I thing it's dead. So now when the computer starts the Sabertooth splash screen comes up with options to go to the BIOS screen then after a minute it starts up windows. At this point I just need the computer running and might be a little slower then before running all apps off the SSD but I'd rather have stability. You guys know how to get it so my computer boots right to the Windows splash screen then on instead of the Sabertooth screen?
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 12, 2011 12:57:40 AM

If you're getting the Windows screen means that you are booting into one of the drives.
And don't bother yourself with and of the technical jargon unless and until the drive shows up in the BIOS main screen. Cos if it doesn't show up there it ain't going to show up under anything else.
Setting it up from then on, after it shows up in the BIOS , is easy, since the BIOS is also going to tell you which port it's connected to so on and so forth.
AHCI- Is for use by the OS, does not concern a unformatted RAW disc, don't bother with it now.
RAID- Will be used only if you specified it and have another disc in the Array, again not your problem.
IDE- Is on by default. So you don't have to worry about it.
Our primary goal is to get the BIOS to identify the HDD and set it up with the OS.

When the rig boots up and shows the options to go to the BIOS screen, does it give a message with it or not? If it does give a message what is it?
If it doesn't, get into the BIOS and got to Boot Settings Configuration
Disable the " Hit DEL message Display option.
And save and exit.
That'll stop your having to wait after the Sabertooth Splash screen.
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 12, 2011 1:04:37 AM

ChaoticG8R said:
Alyoshka makes great general comments but really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about unfortunately when it comes to your system.

Thanks

All that doesn't make a difference, if he can't see his HDD in the main BIOS window since it is understood that he has connected the HDD to all the ports and tried it all 6+2......
Which ever controller the BIOS uses is secondary, the primary meaning of BIOS is Basic Input Output System.
That ought to say it all. Be it for Sabertooth's or the 386's.
You may have had drive identity issues, does not mean the OP's life is as complicated.
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:55:37 AM

alyoshka said:
If you're getting the Windows screen means that you are booting into one of the drives.
And don't bother yourself with and of the technical jargon unless and until the drive shows up in the BIOS main screen. Cos if it doesn't show up there it ain't going to show up under anything else.
Setting it up from then on, after it shows up in the BIOS , is easy, since the BIOS is also going to tell you which port it's connected to so on and so forth.
AHCI- Is for use by the OS, does not concern a unformatted RAW disc, don't bother with it now.
RAID- Will be used only if you specified it and have another disc in the Array, again not your problem.
IDE- Is on by default. So you don't have to worry about it.
Our primary goal is to get the BIOS to identify the HDD and set it up with the OS.

When the rig boots up and shows the options to go to the BIOS screen, does it give a message with it or not? If it does give a message what is it?
If it doesn't, get into the BIOS and got to Boot Settings Configuration
Disable the " Hit DEL message Display option.
And save and exit.
That'll stop your having to wait after the Sabertooth Splash screen.

Thanks. The thing is the Sabertooth splash screen still comes up and on it has Please Press F8...to go to Bios...etc. I just want it to by pass that screen all together and start windows from the HDD right after it goes though all the start up checks. It take about a minute to before it automatically starts windows. Do you think it's because it's still seeing a problem with my SSD sitll plugged into my intel SATA port?
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 12, 2011 3:05:00 AM

Does it show the SSD in the Port in the BIOS?
If it does, than I don't see why you need to boot from anything else.
Select the SSD as Primary boot device , if it shows up in the BIOS and disable all the rest. That'll save you a lot of time, since the system will not query query other thing for a boot option.
If it does not show up in the BIOS, then why have you left it plugged in? It might be querying it and not being able to detect what it is, takes it's time.
m
l

Best solution

December 12, 2011 3:10:42 AM

alyoshka said:
All that doesn't make a difference, if he can't see his HDD in the main BIOS window since it is understood that he has connected the HDD to all the ports and tried it all 6+2......
Which ever controller the BIOS uses is secondary, the primary meaning of BIOS is Basic Input Output System.
That ought to say it all. Be it for Sabertooth's or the 386's.
You may have had drive identity issues, does not mean the OP's life is as complicated.

Really no reason to be so butt hurt because I called you out for talking bullshit on a system you don't know. Its like someone talking about SandForce controllers while they use an Indillix, so stop talking like you are the total ***.

I run the same motherboard as the OP is originally asking questions about, do you? If you do, then you would know they BIOS issues the Sabertooth has had in the past, and how buggy the RAID controllers are and the proper tweaks to fix them. If you don't, then try not to be arrogant for a moment, kthx. You telling him to send his drives back and threatening to sue them for Data Loss is both shallow and pedantic.

So, back to the OP and his issue:
Do you know if you are running Intel's new RST or the older Matrix stuff? If it seems to be only the Intel ports giving you issues with HDD connectivity, it could be possible you need to update the firmware to the RST tech. This fixed some RAID bug issues I had when I switched my boot drive from an HDD to an SDD and actually never touched my RAID (it completely went missing amongst other things).

Unfortuantely, Alyoshka said that "you don't have to worry about it", but you actually should. You should change in the BIOS both controllers to AHCI for optimal performance and functionality (ESPECIALLY with SSDs).

For the Intel controller: Main > Storage Configuration > Configure SATA as > [AHCI] (unless you are making a RAID, because other things are necessary then)
For the Marvel controller: Advanced > Marvel 9128 Contoller > [AHCI]

In reference to removing the ASUS Sabertooth "splash" screen, you need to go to:
Boot > Boot Settings Configuration > Full Screen Logo > [Disabled]

**btw**You can never really reduce the amount of time your motherboard/bios loads, it takes a certain amount of time to go through fail-safe checks etc to ensure a proper boot into your OS amongst other things.**btw**

After making those saves, Save & Exit (F10), and let it restart. Go into the BIOS again. Now, each controller is only allowed to have ONE drive/device selected as a bootable item. Hence if you have your ODD and SSD in the Intel controller, and your HDD in the Marvel. You might be only able to see the ODD and the HDD as your boot priority list (Don't ask me why its designed this way, it just is) under Boot. To do this you will go to:
Boot > Hard Disk Drives > 1: [X] ; 2: [Y] and simply set the drive you want to boot from as the primary #1 choice. Now set the drives with the proper boot priority you want (under Boot Device Priority), and hit F10 again and let 'er boot all the way through windows and you should be golden.

Also, to ensure your Marvel controller is working properly (which it sounds like it is so far), check under Tools> Driver Xpert Configuration > Mode: [XXXXXXXXX] and make sure the mode says Normal. The other two modes will cause a LOT of problems if only 1 drive is attached.

Let me know if you are still having issues, and good luck!!
December 12, 2011 11:38:21 PM

ChaoticG8R said:
Really no reason to be so butt hurt because I called you out for talking bullshit on a system you don't know. Its like someone talking about SandForce controllers while they use an Indillix, so stop talking like you are the total ***.

I run the same motherboard as the OP is originally asking questions about, do you? If you do, then you would know they BIOS issues the Sabertooth has had in the past, and how buggy the RAID controllers are and the proper tweaks to fix them. If you don't, then try not to be arrogant for a moment, kthx. You telling him to send his drives back and threatening to sue them for Data Loss is both shallow and pedantic.

So, back to the OP and his issue:
Do you know if you are running Intel's new RST or the older Matrix stuff? If it seems to be only the Intel ports giving you issues with HDD connectivity, it could be possible you need to update the firmware to the RST tech. This fixed some RAID bug issues I had when I switched my boot drive from an HDD to an SDD and actually never touched my RAID (it completely went missing amongst other things).

Unfortuantely, Alyoshka said that "you don't have to worry about it", but you actually should. You should change in the BIOS both controllers to AHCI for optimal performance and functionality (ESPECIALLY with SSDs).

For the Intel controller: Main > Storage Configuration > Configure SATA as > [AHCI] (unless you are making a RAID, because other things are necessary then)
For the Marvel controller: Advanced > Marvel 9128 Contoller > [AHCI]

In reference to removing the ASUS Sabertooth "splash" screen, you need to go to:
Boot > Boot Settings Configuration > Full Screen Logo > [Disabled]

**btw**You can never really reduce the amount of time your motherboard/bios loads, it takes a certain amount of time to go through fail-safe checks etc to ensure a proper boot into your OS amongst other things.**btw**

After making those saves, Save & Exit (F10), and let it restart. Go into the BIOS again. Now, each controller is only allowed to have ONE drive/device selected as a bootable item. Hence if you have your ODD and SSD in the Intel controller, and your HDD in the Marvel. You might be only able to see the ODD and the HDD as your boot priority list (Don't ask me why its designed this way, it just is) under Boot. To do this you will go to:
Boot > Hard Disk Drives > 1: [X] ; 2: [Y] and simply set the drive you want to boot from as the primary #1 choice. Now set the drives with the proper boot priority you want (under Boot Device Priority), and hit F10 again and let 'er boot all the way through windows and you should be golden.

Also, to ensure your Marvel controller is working properly (which it sounds like it is so far), check under Tools> Driver Xpert Configuration > Mode: [XXXXXXXXX] and make sure the mode says Normal. The other two modes will cause a LOT of problems if only 1 drive is attached.

Let me know if you are still having issues, and good luck!!

Thanks for the Help. I got the splash screen off. As for everything else I had it set up as you mentioned. I also checked the SSD at work and it wasn't detected there either. So the SSD is definitely done. I've contacted OCZ and they'll either need to refund me or send me a more reliable SSD as the Vertex 2 is buggy with my system or buggy on it's own. But I'm not wasting my time with that model again. For now, I'll just run my apps off the HDD. Not as fast as before but at this point I need some reliability....so I hope. thanks for both your efforts..much appreciated.
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:52:44 PM

aarlotta said:
Thanks for the Help. I got the splash screen off. As for everything else I had it set up as you mentioned. I also checked the SSD at work and it wasn't detected there either. So the SSD is definitely done. I've contacted OCZ and they'll either need to refund me or send me a more reliable SSD as the Vertex 2 is buggy with my system or buggy on it's own. But I'm not wasting my time with that model again. For now, I'll just run my apps off the HDD. Not as fast as before but at this point I need some reliability....so I hope. thanks for both your efforts..much appreciated.

No problem, good luck with everything!
m
l
December 19, 2011 10:58:37 PM

Best answer selected by aarlotta.
m
l
!