Sandy Bridge boot problems - please help!

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Experiencing some weirdness with my Sandy Bridge build - see my sig for specs.

Initial boot to BIOS successful, reinstalled Win 7 Pro 64 on the Intel X-25V with other drives disconnected, mobo is in AHCI mode. Took out the Win 7 disk, went to reboot after installing Win 7, and everything has slowed down, and Windows won't boot, it will only go to BIOS. Now the DVD drive, which is new, has stopped responding and won't read discs or eject. The activity light goes on when you press the eject button but nothing happens.

Any ideas? Immensely frustrated! Thanks in advance for any help.

That IS a good one... Are you still configured with only the SSD and optical drive connected to your SATA 3 ports? You are NOT using the gray or navy blue ones (SATA6), correct?

Your board has...
SATA 3Gb/s - 4 ports
SATA 6Gb/s - 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) by P67
- 2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell 9120

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Ahhhhh! Actually, I was using SATA 6Gb for the SSD, and the optical drive is connected to SATA 3Gb. I thought the SATA 6GB would be backwards compatible, but I'll try switching the SSD over and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks! Stopping by MicroCenter this evening to swap out the optical drive. Awfully coincidental for it to crash, but I would think that the eject button would at least open and close the tray.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
As an update, I replaced the optical drive, and the new one will at least open and close, but the system won't boot from either the SSD or the Windows disk and eventually hangs after the post screen. I tried plugging the SSD into a different SATA port, using 3Gb instead of 6Gb, and only the SSD and optical drive are connected. No matter what boot order I have or what's plugged in, I get the same result - BIOS screen followed by a dark screen with a cursor. Oddly, whatever drives I have plugged in I can see in BIOS, they just don't seem to do anything.

Again, any ideas will be much appreciated!

Update: after moving the SATA cables around to different ports, now it doesn't recognize any drives. Also, from the beginning when I do a cold boot it starts up for 3 seconds, powers down for 3 seconds, and then restarts.

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Still bloody waiting mate. I currently live in Canada, so the speed of delivery from NewEgg would push the patience of a Saint! I'm hoping to be ready to build by the weekend (I bet the Wife can't wait lol).

Currently I have the Case, and have installed the SSD, 2 x HDD and the PSU.....I'm like a kid at Christmas, good thing is thought it's given me chance to play about with the cable management.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Cleared CMOS to no avail. Still have the cold boot problem (which has been reported by others on the ASUS forums) and still can't see any drives. Exchanged a couple of emails with ASUS tech support, and they promptly recommended that I call their tech support line. That will have to wait until Friday night, and if that doesn't help I'll box it up and take it back to MicroCenter. Don't know whether I'll exchange it or look at a different board. Unfortunately, MicroCenter's selection isn't that good at the moment.

I have the asus deluxe with the 2600K and the only problem I have is when I first turn on the PC. It seems to forget it likes DDR3 1600 memory and resets the timings. Probably a BIOS bug. I don't have any issues with my drives but I'm using a normal HDD.

Did you flash your BIOS to the latest version? I had to flash mine just to use the 2 sticks of DDR3 I had. Mine had version 0503 and updated it to 1053 or w/e the latest was at the time.

Sorry not BIOS but EUFI - its not a BIOS anymore I guess ...

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Why not set the RAM speed in your BIOS? That should help the reset. What RAM are you running? Make, amount and speed. RAM seems to be the issue with the SB stuff.

My BIOS is #402 as I recall and I have not re-flashed yet. I am waiting for the bugs to surface first. I have not had any issues needing the update as yet.

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

I said that the MOBO was the common factor, not that MOBO failures are common.

niloklives

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
from what I've been reading, the p8p67 series boards have the problem with ram fairly often. unplugging the computer and resetting cmos before updating your settings manually seems to work more often than not. this is only with the system failing the memory check and dropping your settings, I don't know what could be causing the other problems, but i might suggest looking in the socket for bent pins. you can't slide the CPU around til it fits like the old ZIF socket CPUs.

Carefully remove the cpu and see if any pins are bent, if they are, I can almost guarantee you that's the source of the problem. If so, take it back to micro center and say it's defective, they should swap it out. just be more careful next time.

if no pins are bent, the board may indeed be faulty. Try reseating everything and see what happens. One loose connection can also be problematic. Sorry you're having so much trouble and I hope it works out. I've got a P8P67 pro and a 2600k on the way too, so you can imagine I'm gritting my teeth right now.

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Ok, so my issues aren't quiet over, I think it is issues with the RAM speed. If the PC is off, when I turn it on the case lights will come on, then it will turn off again. A second later it will turn back on but won't boot, on the MOBO there is a read light in the top right hand corner by the RAM which doesn't turn off. I unplug the PC from the mains, plug it back in and it boots ok.

And new that message in English:

If the PC is totally turned off, when I boot it up the case and MOBO lights will come on, then it will turn off again.

A second later it will turn back on but won't boot (no display), on the MOBO there is a red light in the top right hand corner by the RAM which doesn't turn off (Other red lights on the MOBO turn on and off, almost like it's checking different things).

I unplug the PC from the mains, plug it back in and it boots ok.

When I first built the machine, it slowed my RAM down to 1333Mhz. I had to change it back to 1600Mhz in the BIOS. It didn't stay that way so I tried a ASUS default "speed boost" from within Windows. I choose "Fast" rather than "Extreme" and it seems to stay that way now according to the BIOS spped settings.

But even now, if the PC is turned off and back on again (like this morning when it had been turned off all night) then it wont boot first time. I have to unplug and plug it back in again.

BTW, what DRAM Frequency should it read in CPU-Z under the memory tab, currently for me it is 824.3Mhz.