Sign in with
Your question

CPU temps 2600k

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2011 3:19:07 PM

Hello,
I made my first build using MSI P67A-GD65, Intel 2600k with Cooler Master Hyper 212+. The idle CPU temp is reported around 44 degrees in the BIOS. Is this normal? I am afraid that I might have applied too much thermal paste. Any advice is much appreciated. I was hoping to be able to overclock the 2600k but it now seems unlikely. Also, the case I used is Corsair 600T.

Thanks

More about : cpu temps 2600k

a b à CPUs
April 5, 2011 4:14:37 PM

There have been several posts on this - Bottom line is not to sweat this at this point, But:
Download CPUID HWMonitor. Note the Idle temps. Several have reported High bios temps, but after booting to operating system the temps have dropped to approx normal temps.

This is even more important. Download Prime95 and while monitoring your temps (HWMonitor) run prime95 in blend mode (default) and note your max core temps - verify they are acceptable.

Added. My response to a post wher OP was hitting 60 C in Bios
Quote:
(2) This does seem more previlant with the 2500k cpus as a number of posters have identified hitting 60 in bios and then a decrease when operating system is loaded. While I can understand the rational for Higher in bios as leap-from-shawdow indicated. When in bios the loading should be light, say 5%, on all four cores for 100% of the time produces x amount of heat. When you get to the operating system the load is increased say to 10%, BUT it is only for say 10% of the time which means avg loading is less - simular to PWM. Why this should be more an issue with the 2xxx Cpus than the I5-750 is beyound me.
I still think that 60 % is to high (not for the CPU,, but when you get to the operating system and put a heavy load on it, you are liable to see 80+ C - and that is without a OC - ouch.

Another poster indicated the cause was that the Bios was set to auto:
Quote:
I've learned that the culprit behind the insanely high temps for the i5-2500k, is the "auto" feature for the CPU Voltage. Set this to "Manual" and DO NOT exceed 1.39V on AIR. With my Coolermaster V6GT, my temps never exceed 67C while running Prime95. Idle in windows is between 26-29C now!

sorry if this counts as double post, but I tried that just now and wow, my temps are steadily 40-49 C which is better, but I still feel its kinda high for near idling, i set the voltage to 1.18, on auto it is 1.184 so its close enough, my question is would setting the voltage lower result in less temperature? thanks!

April 5, 2011 5:12:11 PM

I have very nearly the same setup and my BIOS temps range from 42-45C. Idle temps in Windows run between 23-28C. Under full load on IBT I top out at 73C with an OC to 4600MHz. I'm sure your BIOS temps are fine....
Related resources
April 12, 2011 1:29:38 PM

RetiredChief said:
There have been several posts on this - Bottom line is not to sweat this at this point, But:
Download CPUID HWMonitor. Note the Idle temps. Several have reported High bios temps, but after booting to operating system the temps have dropped to approx normal temps.

This is even more important. Download Prime95 and while monitoring your temps (HWMonitor) run prime95 in blend mode (default) and note your max core temps - verify they are acceptable.

Added. My response to a post wher OP was hitting 60 C in Bios
Quote:
(2) This does seem more previlant with the 2500k cpus as a number of posters have identified hitting 60 in bios and then a decrease when operating system is loaded. While I can understand the rational for Higher in bios as leap-from-shawdow indicated. When in bios the loading should be light, say 5%, on all four cores for 100% of the time produces x amount of heat. When you get to the operating system the load is increased say to 10%, BUT it is only for say 10% of the time which means avg loading is less - simular to PWM. Why this should be more an issue with the 2xxx Cpus than the I5-750 is beyound me.
I still think that 60 % is to high (not for the CPU,, but when you get to the operating system and put a heavy load on it, you are liable to see 80+ C - and that is without a OC - ouch.

Another poster indicated the cause was that the Bios was set to auto:
Quote:
I've learned that the culprit behind the insanely high temps for the i5-2500k, is the "auto" feature for the CPU Voltage. Set this to "Manual" and DO NOT exceed 1.39V on AIR. With my Coolermaster V6GT, my temps never exceed 67C while running Prime95. Idle in windows is between 26-29C now!

sorry if this counts as double post, but I tried that just now and wow, my temps are steadily 40-49 C which is better, but I still feel its kinda high for near idling, i set the voltage to 1.18, on auto it is 1.184 so its close enough, my question is would setting the voltage lower result in less temperature? thanks!

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I overlooked something important while installing cpu/cooler. When I read that usually anything less than 80 degrees is safe for the CPU I wasn't too worried. I still think that I might have applied too much thermal grease. Why wouldn't they have some kind of measuring for stuff like that. Anyways. I think the idle temps in OS are less than 30 degrees. I will try Prime95 and see the max it hits. What range should the temps be in while running Prime95?

April 12, 2011 1:32:44 PM

majin ssj eric said:
I have very nearly the same setup and my BIOS temps range from 42-45C. Idle temps in Windows run between 23-28C. Under full load on IBT I top out at 73C with an OC to 4600MHz. I'm sure your BIOS temps are fine....

I am little hesitant to OC. Even though that is the reason I bought 2600k and installed Hyper 212+. It does have Intel Turbo mode. Maybe after running Prime 95 I will have the balls to run the OC genie on my mobo. Please pass on any other tips that I can use. This is my first build and the case doesn't have mounting on the side panel so I don't know what else to do to keep the temps cool.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 2:55:19 PM

NO Pain NO Gain - Just monitor your temps.
April 12, 2011 3:01:50 PM

If you are only running low 40's in the BIOS your temps are probably fine. I run IBT at high stress at least 5 runs at a time and have gotten into the 70's, but I am OC'd. You should be 10C+ cooler than that at stock speeds. OCing the 2600k is as simple as changing the multiplier to whatever speed you want (i.e. BCLK at 100 and multiplier at 46 gives a 4600MHz clock speed). There are a bunch of other voltage settings you can use to get your vcore down but just changing the multiplier is fine as long as you don't go over 1.4v while stress testing....
!