First Time Gaming Build, Ready to Buy.

After doing a lot of research (a lot of it being on this site) I have finally got a final list of components. I do already have a thread posted on the forums, but I'm getting no response and it could be down to how much my list changed throughout, therefore I decided to create a new thread. I apologise if this against the forum rules but I didn't want to constantly 'bump' my thread to get a reply.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: £700-£900

Country of Origin: UK

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Intel Core i5-2500K - £183
Asus P8P67 Pro - £142
MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK Talon Attack 1GB - £158
Coolermaster HAF 932 - £108
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler - £62
Mushkin 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800 6-8-6-24 Redline - £137
XFX Core Edition Pro 850w - £86

Total = £876

What I would like to know is:

1. Will this build work well together i.e. everything fits into place, there won't be a bottleneck, the PSU is suitable etc.?

2. Can it be improved for a slight increase in price, or would you recommend any better substitutes?

3. Is the heatsink necessary with the new SB, keeping in mind that I want to OC?

4. I'm unsure about the ram, is it overkill or would be 2x4gb be better? I'll mainly be gaming.

Thanks for your time. This is a big decision, I want it to be as powerful as possible for the price.
6 answers Last reply
More about first time gaming build ready
  1. 1. 2500K + Asus P8P67 Pro take 1,2,4 sticks of RAM. not three. Change to 2x4GB or 2x2GB.

2. You can have a better GPU, though I know nothing about price of GPU in UK. Sorry

You don't need 850W GPU if you aren't doing SLI. Even if you do, a good 650W can handle 2x460.

3. It depends on how much you want to OC. If ~4.3GHz, then stock is fine. If ~4.8GHz, an after market one is necessary.

4. That RAM won't work, you can only use two out of three.
  2. Hey thanks for the helpful reply.

RAM: Ok I'll go for 2x4gb, I'm just struggling to find a decent set that I know will go into the P8P67 Mobo. I have downloaded the compatability list on the ASUS site but it hasn't been much help.

GPU: What better GPU would you suggest or anybody else for that matter for around $300, the MSI above comes in at $247.

PSU: I'll drop it down to the 650w model as appose to the 850w.

Heatsink: I want to OC in the upper 4's so I'll go for this.
  3. I've managed to find 2 sets of great ram, unfortunately they are both out of stock but are expected to be back in stock in 2 days. Which one would you choose?:

G.Skill 8GB low-latency DDR3 RipjawsX Series for the Intel Sandy Bridge platform. PC3-10666 1333MHz with timings of 7-7-7-21 (CL7). 1.5V dual channel - £96

8GB G.Skill DDR3 RipjawsX Series for the Intel Sandy Bridge platform. PC3-12800 1600MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24 (CL9). 1.5V dual channel - £90

Better timings with lower mhz, or more mhz with worser timings? :heink:
  4. More MHz is always better.

Beware that Ripjaws have a large heat spreader that is incompatable with many of the larger aftermarket heat sinks
  5. ScrewySqrl said:
    More MHz is always better.

Beware that Ripjaws have a large heat spreader that is incompatable with many of the larger aftermarket heat sinks

Thanks for that info dude, I totally forgot about this. I'll look into that straight away, I'm hoping to buy everything tomorrow apart from the ram obviously.
  6. It states the ripjaws are compatible on the Noctua site, hopefully this includes the x series :sweat:

Link for anybody who is interested
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems