Midlevel Gaming Build - Need Critiquing

Bacillus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Bacillus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

With the turbo boost how do temperatures compare to standard i3 or i5? The Tuniq should help a bit with that though. Also, are the only significant differences between the ASRock and the ASUS just price and maximum ram?

In regards to sandy bridge, I was originally considering the Intel Core i5-2500 as it is supposed to OC a fair bit better than the other 2 series. I think I recall reading that the sandy bridge 2000 series are capped at 3.99GHz though? If I were to go that route, this ASUS P8P67 looks to be equivalent to the ASRock you suggested. Finally, with the Ripjaws it says it's specifically designed for sandy bridge, but it would also work just fine with other core-i processors i'm assuming?

After talking to my brother, the budget is slightly flexible so likely anything up to $1000 would be acceptable.

Thanks

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I do remember reading that Sandy bridge will actually be cooler then previous generation proccesors so i don't think heat will be that much of a problem regards to cpu.
If your going with sandy bridge then those Ripjaws should be fine, but if your not, i would be on the safe side and go with another version even if it would work fine.
Just remember that if you do want to overclock, you need the K version ( i5 2500k).
And I've read of i5 2500k being overclocked to around 5ghz and pretty easily to 4.5ghz, haven't heard of any 3.99ghz cap.

Bacillus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

If I were to overclock the i5-2500k to something in the range of 4.5 to 5GHz would the Tuniq be sufficient to keep it cool? Also, what motherboard would be recommended for the i5-2500k if I were to OC?

n_scheffel

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Definitely move to Sandy Bridge. It is nearly impossible to futureproof a PC, but we know for 100% certainty that the 1156 socket is dead.

IMO, get the i5-2500k and any P67 mobo so you can OC it (H67 mobos do not allow you to OC via the multiplier). Since SLI is not really an option with a sub $1000 budget, you can can get a P67 mobo that doesn't support SLI and save some cash there.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the new mobos to recommend one. I tend to stick with Asus though.

Bacillus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

I just so happen to live a few blocks away from one. The motherboard pricing is the same but the processor is $45 cheaper there. Thank you very much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a case. My brother liked the looks of the NZXT listed above, but I'm rather against it. I should be able to convince him that cooling/cable management trumps looks. He doesn't want any windows on his case; just a minimal and clean looking one would be nice. I personally use an Antec 300 and suggested that, but he doesn't want the same case as me..

Bacillus

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Yeah looking at price differences I'm going to switch over to Sandy Bridge, especially with savings i've been able to find for the other components. The ASUS P8P67 is the motherboard I've had my eye on, but I'm not sure if the pro model would be pointless, as well as what an equivalent motherboard would be that doesn't support SLI. It's been a few years since my last build..

Would it be worth the $15 to upgrade my G.SKILL Ripjaws ram from DDR3 1333 to DDR3 1600 ?

Also I forgot to include that the build also needs a wireless card. Any suggestions for that would be much appreciated. Thanks!