SSD HARD DRIVE

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
hey, can any one tell me if there is any problems i shold be aware of that occurs with ssd hard drives. eg freezing etc. and any advice on an affordable one that is good for the price/value. thanks

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
The issues some of the really fast SSD's had in the last quarter have all been rectified with firmware updates. Anything you buy now from a reputable place like newegg should already be running the most current firmware. I've had mine for almost 4 mos and haven't had any issues with it at all.

What price range are you looking at? It will be easier to offer advice once we know that.

80 USD is a little low for a 60GB SSD. About 100 USD would be the cheapest of the current generation for 60GB.

Also, SSD is Solid State Drive and HDD is Hard Disk Drive. Hard drive is just a shortening of HDD. To say SSD hard drive would be wrong. Not to nit-pick but that one really gets to me.

I would have needed to own the drive to tell you it's ratings, but I can tell you that it may vary slightly because of other components and vary more due to any RAID system it is in. I don't pay attention to windows rating myself because it really doesn't tell you as much about the device as it should and because I don't have it on most of my machines. Neither windows server operating systems nor XP have it, Vista sucks, and windows 7 is too expensive.

32 bit windows server copies are free to college students and both 32bit and 64 bit servers are free to use if you are willing to reinstall every year and a half or so. These two facts mean I have legally free windows on my computers :)

kenshin333

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010

lucky you, i'm using a laptop cd key and oem w7. its pretty much the same. thanks still wud like to know although this hhd will be the one i am 90% sure to buy. only problems i saw with it are with mac users, apparently, it clashes with mac os and freezes during operation every few sec.