BSOD's/Game Crashing/Windows Hanging

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I built my machine and was loving it for the first week. I had almost NO issues, and the issues I had i was able to iron out. But now I've been having some severe difficulties. Every time I think i have something fixed another problem comes up and when i fix that, the old problem resurfaces. I have gotten BSOD's, games crashing that were working before, Windows will hang, and sometimes things will just plain slow down.

My Rig:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
AMD Athlon II x3 445
MSI 870-G45 (770 Chipset)
MSI GTX 460 Cylcone
4GB (2x2) G. Skill Ripjaw series 1600
64GB Kingston SSD (My boot drive)
Corsiar Builder Series 500 Watt PSU
150+750GB HDD

The first thing i did when i got it all together was change the RAID mode to ACHI, and made it second on the boot list, the first being the disk drive... Then I proceeded with the window install.

I OC'ed my memory to default settings at the very beginning (After I made sure everything was running smooth) and when it wasn't stable at stock voltage, i upped it to 1.65. Was stable and everything was fine. When my BSOD's/Random freezing started that was the first thing I checked. It passed memtest 2 times over (And i am currently testing with it having gone over the RAM 4 times) with NO errors. None.

CPU has passed Prime95 for several hours about 4 times. Don't think its a CPU problem... And have checked the temps. The hottest was 64 C's and that was what i guess is the Northbridge...

So i went to my video card since i was freezing in 3d environments, so maybe it was some crazy Driver thing, or something was wrong with the video card. So I tested with Furmark (25 Min) and things were going good UNTILL i closed it. About 4 seconds after closing Furmark the computer hung. So i cleaned the drivers by uninstalling them, booting into safe mode and running the driver cleaner software in Admin mode. Then after the drivers were cleaned off the drive, I installed a earlier version from the MSI website. The problem with closing Furmark/Some games vanished. For a whole week it ran great besides games sometimes crashing to desktop with the not responding message.

To fix this i disabled all my startup with MSCONFIG, and that has seemed to do the trick... For now :). Also have changed from MSE (Which fixed a freezing on startup problem-had that on my Dell for some reason...) to AVG (Which would made the computer hang if I tried to change the scan priorities while in a scan) to Avira. Avira seems to be doing fine :).

Then someone used my computer last night and they got a BSOD (Avira was installed after the BSOD). From what they told me they were listening to music through iTunes 64 Bit and surfing the web with Chrome. When Windows came up I got a message saying Windows has recovered from a serious error blah blah blah. This was the information it had:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3d
BCP1: FFFFF80000B9C000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80002ECEBC5
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010911-12480-01.dmp
C:\Users\%User%\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-24102-0.sysdata.xml

Sadly I wasn't there to see the BSOD to tell ya what it told me... I have rebuilt several computers and they have all ran great and i have asked many a question here so thought I knew what I was doing.... Guess not :lol: .

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
It is possible to contract a virus from a simple google images search, and downloading everything from CNET doesn't mean your computer is completely clean.

but it is most likely a driver issue as i stated previously

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
You have any ideas on how to firgure out which driver it is?? :)

I'll try scanning for a virus with malwarebytes and Avira just in case. And i do know that they can't catch every virus, thats why i scan my downloads :). And thanks for the quick reply!

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
The checker gave me all green. The only two things that were bad were that Steam and Photoshop were not updated... I guess I can update those, but im not thinking that those are the problems...

memtest has hit its 7th round and nothing has come up yet...

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I would say it's safe to assume your RAM is fine.

I have a new guess iTunes is the culprit, apparently this problem has happened quite frequently while running music programs that aren't completely compatible. Try a reinstall of iTunes see if that fixes it. Otherwise you may have to find a new music program :(

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
This is really hard to diagnose since it isn't a regular thing... :( Could take weeks and by then my Newegg return policy will be gone and ill have to RMA through companies if this ends up being a hardware issue...

Hoping it's just a driver conflicting... mmmm I do have a wireless and hard wired driver installed... Could this be the culprit... I never use the hard wired but it would be nice to keep it just in case something happened to my wireless and i doubt this is the problem.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
NOOOOO I don't want to reinstall iTunes :(. I have a hate, love relationship :lol: . I hate the program but it syncs so nicely with my iPod, iPhone, and iPod Classic... Then i have the sucky library files to deal with. But ill try it again... Should i try the 32 Bit version or the 64 Bit version? I have the 64 Bit version on...

"The first thing i did when i got it all together was change the RAID mode to ACHI, and made it second on the boot list, the first being the disk drive..."

Am I reading this right ? You made your SSD second boot ? The SSD is the main drive that you're putting the opsys on right ?

Resetting the CMOS did what ?

Did you pull the heat sink off the video card and reapply thermal grease. Did you try under clocking the video card. Did you try drivers from NVIDIA's site ?

The BSOD..... what was the error ?... nvrmind

Check your sound. Bad drivers or driver conflict will cause this sometimes. Are you using on board audio ?

itunes....is that something extra you plug into the computer or is this an internet thing ? That could be the problem..... sound conflicts....

use microsoft security essentials. Dump that other crap.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Did you not read what I wrote?? MSE caused the system to freeze upon startup.... No i have not bothered to change my thermal paste since the temps never go above 55ish and it only gets that high after about an hour of Prime95. The CPU is stabe, I have ran Prime95 at many occasions for several hours each. My audio driver has been re installed several times. The SSD is right after the optical drive... :)

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
My broadcom driver for my wifi, but on my dell it made me revert because it interfered with my wifi and i couldnt get a connection...

Itunes is labeled as *32 which means its running as a 32 Bit, but im going to leave it unless it starts to have problems.

The GPU maxes out at 64 on furmark... So no I havent messed with that.... My old 9600GT would get up to 103+, and would do fine when I ran Furmark for more than 30 minutes... I didn't like it that hot, i like the GPU's to run about 60 C

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Ive read that the updated BIOS starts to create problems... I can try that too... Maybe that was another mobo, :lol: i looked at so many it starts to blur together. I think there is a BIOS that is more updated, and i can try that if I get another BSOD.

Ive re installed the audio drive several times. But I have had the audio cracle and pop sometimes.... Is there any way to make sure that the driver is working? :lol: