AMD's Cayman - HD 6900 series info delayed till week of Dec 13th

notty22

Distinguished
Lifted this from here
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30748442&postcount=1

Here is the email that i got from AMD

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Demand for the ATI Radeon HD 5800 series continues to be very strong, the ATI Radeon HD 5970 remains the fastest graphics card in the world and the newest members of the AMD graphics family, the AMD Radeon HD 6850 and HD 6870, have set new standards for performance at their respective price points, and are available in volume. With that in mind, we are going to take a bit more time before shipping the AMD Radeon HD 6900 series. As of today, the NDA lift for information relating to the AMD Radeon HD 6950 and HD 6970 will be the week of December 13th. We will be providing additional information on these products, including the exact date and time of the NDA lift, in the weeks prior to launch.

Thanks for your continued interest and help in letting gaming enthusiasts know about these products. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
We are definitely going to have to wait longer for Cayman

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Sucks for them as most people will have their Christmas shopping done by then, but as there rep says there they do have other good products on the market so this won't hurt them as much as the fermi delays did Nvidia.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Gamers tend to like the biggest and best so knowing that they have to stick with a "last gen" card when nvidia has new stuff on the market could mean a big move towards nvidia.

notty22

Distinguished

I noticed this to. Prices are inching up with less stock.

4745454b

Titan
Not sure I'd say Nvidia has "new stuff" on the market. (and yes, I caught your quotes around the "last gen" statement.) The most new card out Nvidia has is the GTX580, which is pretty much nothing more then what the GTX480 should have been. A few tweaks here and there, but nothing really new.

If you have to buy for a gamer, this holiday season isn't bad. GTS460 and cheap 470s are plenty, new uber high end from Nvidia also exists. 6850/70s are also here if you can find them, while you still have the 5870/50 around as well. Its not like one team is still rebranding old cards leaving you with that as your choice if you want to buy theirs.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah most people have it done the week of thanksgiving if you get what I mean. But as for me I am having a pc built for me and my friend, I am waiting to buy parts, the parts can be bought this month, it is really the graphics card I am worried about. Then this happened and as I think about it... probably one of the best things. Not only was I thinking of going for the recent 6k series, because of this delay, I can hold on and see what happens the week of release of the 6970. See December is a special month for me, I am sor of glad this happened. I will look at the current 6k series compared to the 580, then them compared to the 6970. I can bet this delay will help them refine, and I know it will be cheaper than the 580 too, but trump it? Even if it does not, it depends on the price, if they have a nice price, and I have a feeling they will, then it will trump the 580. Two in xfire would be awesome~!

I am planning on getting one next month having a birthday the week before release, and Christmas feels good :D.