Tech - BG2 & XP refresh rates

Hi, - please help!
Just upgraded to XP half way through BG2 (ToB), and everything's ported
across just fine (phew!) with one exception. I just can't get the same high
refresh rates on my monitor as I had with BG2 in ME - over 100Hz. It seems
that whatever driver combo I try, I can't get anything above 60Hz, even at
640x480. It does run OK at 1024x768, but at 60Hz.

The modes BG2 is using don't seem to be recognised by the monitor - 'New
Mode'. Desktop works fine though (1152x864 at 85Hz - will go up to 100Hz if
I unhide unsupported modes).

I've tried running BG2 in different compatibility modes, but it runs too
slow and doesn't exit correctly. I've also tried changing the desktop
resolution - no effect. Is this just a case of BG2 not liking XP?

Please help as I can't go on at 60Hz as the visible flickering gives me a
headache after a couple of minutes.! And after 18 months of playing I've
still not rescued Imeon!! Please no suggestions of dual boot OS or going
back to the unstable ME.

Vid card is Geforce 4 Ti 4400, latest nvidia drivers 56.72. Monitor is
Philips 107P, tried it with and without Philips drivers. BG2 has latest
patches. If any other info is needed please shout.

LK

"Lyrical Korma" <Lyrical@Korma.com> wrote in message
> Hi, - please help!
> Just upgraded to XP half way through BG2 (ToB), and everything's ported
> across just fine (phew!) with one exception. I just can't get the same
high
> refresh rates on my monitor as I had with BG2 in ME - over 100Hz. It seems
> that whatever driver combo I try, I can't get anything above 60Hz, even at
> 640x480. It does run OK at 1024x768, but at 60Hz.
>
> The modes BG2 is using don't seem to be recognised by the monitor - 'New
> Mode'. Desktop works fine though (1152x864 at 85Hz - will go up to 100Hz
if
> I unhide unsupported modes).
>
> I've tried running BG2 in different compatibility modes, but it runs too
> slow and doesn't exit correctly. I've also tried changing the desktop
> resolution - no effect. Is this just a case of BG2 not liking XP?
>
> Please help as I can't go on at 60Hz as the visible flickering gives me a
> headache after a couple of minutes.! And after 18 months of playing I've
> still not rescued Imeon!! Please no suggestions of dual boot OS or going
> back to the unstable ME.
>
> Vid card is Geforce 4 Ti 4400, latest nvidia drivers 56.72. Monitor is
> Philips 107P, tried it with and without Philips drivers. BG2 has latest
> patches. If any other info is needed please shout.
>
> LK

One thing I forgot to say - mode pruning (XP Pro) and overiding the refresh
rates have had no effect either.

>One thing I forgot to say - mode pruning (XP Pro) and overiding the refresh
>rates have had no effect either.

Pop "Refresh force" in google. Have a go with that utility.

"Trickle" <false@quiteclearelyfake.tz> wrote in message

> >One thing I forgot to say - mode pruning (XP Pro) and overiding the
refresh
> >rates have had no effect either.
> >

> Pop "Refresh force" in google. Have a go with that utility.

Wow. Thankyou so much for this pointer. Guess XP really sux in this regard,
but now fixed. I can't believe microsoft haven't fixed this. But then again,
it's microsoft...