Windows 8 Licence Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what the deal was with licence transfers on Windows 8? Is it the same as Windows 7?

If i purchased an OEM copy of Windows 8 and installed on one PC, and then down the line I decided to change my motherboard, will I have to buy a new licence or can I transfer it? Can I do it with the upgrade version too?

I have searched the internet and found a lot of different answers, so I was wondering if anyone that actually knew could clear this up for me.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Solution
G
The OEM licencing agreement of Windows 8 is quite different from Windows 7.

With Windows 7 OEM licensing the licence allowed you to install it on one pc, at which point it would lock to the motherboard and could not be transfered.

Windows 8 has changed this restriction. Windows 8 OEM can be installed on one PC at a time but unlike Windows 7 it can be transfered to another machine you own or even transfered to another owner providing the original installation is removed/deactivated. In the case of owner transfer it must be transfered in its entirety, that is to say the media, COA and original proof of purchase must be transfered.

The only restriction regarding Windows 8 OEM is on machines that have the OS installed by the device...
G

With Windows 7 OEM licensing the licence allowed you to install it on one pc, at which point it would lock to the motherboard and could not be transfered.

Windows 8 has changed this restriction. Windows 8 OEM can be installed on one PC at a time but unlike Windows 7 it can be transfered to another machine you own or even transfered to another owner providing the original installation is removed/deactivated. In the case of owner transfer it must be transfered in its entirety, that is to say the media, COA and original proof of purchase must be transfered.

The only restriction regarding Windows 8 OEM is on machines that have the OS installed by the device manufacturer, these cannot be transfered.

Further details of the Personal Use License can be found here http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

I don't think that it applies to the upgrade version as that license requires that a qualifying OS be present on the machine at the time of install, but cant be 100% sure.

Solution

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

The only restriction regarding Windows 8 OEM is on machines that have the OS installed by the device manufacturer, these cannot be transfered.

Further details of the Personal Use License can be found here http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

I don't think that it applies to the upgrade version as that license requires that a qualifying OS be present on the machine at the time of install, but cant be 100% sure.

Thank you very much, that is all I needed to know. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks very much,
Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.