Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Second PC slower on same internet connection

Last response: in Networking
June 19, 2010 3:21:13 AM

Hey guy. Been with THG a while. Normally I can do anything on my own PC and networking wie but this is really perplexing me. I have 3 totl PCs in my home all hard wired to one router thats linked to my cable connection thats set for 25Mbps/5Mbps but can boost to 31Mbps/6Mbps. Two desktops one laptop. One desktop is mine and the others is my fiances which was a old build of mine.

The problem is that both my desktop and the laptop can get the full speed of the internet which is normally 2-3MB/s download speeds but my fiances desktop will only max out at maybe 800KB/s. I know that when that was my machine, I would take it to my work that had a T3 and would hit near 1-2 MB/s when no one was on but this is crazy. I have tried everything. I have the only version of the drivers, its a 3COM 3C940 built in 10/100/1000 NIC.

Now it is a older PC, but its self built and had pretty high end parts for the time listed here:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
Intel Pentium 4 EE 3.4GHz
2 120GB SATA Seagate 7200.7 HDDs (RAID 0)
ATI X850XTX
550W Rosewill PSU
Windows XP SP3

I tried setting it to run at 100Mbps half duplex, dumping the DNS cache, releasing and renewing the IP address, changed the CAT5e cable (even made some of my own), changed what port on the router it is plugged into and even plugged it straight into the modem to no avail. And as a last ditch resort, I even tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.

Yet.... still caps out at 800KB/s. Ioriginally had a 7Mbps DSL link that toped out at about 800KB/s so I couldn't tell but this is crazy.

Anyone have any idea as to what it could be?

Best solution

Anonymous
June 19, 2010 7:05:41 AM

PCI NICs are usually reliable, but they are cheap enough to replace so it may be worth trying that.

First you might have a look at MTU settings -- there's a very popular program called TCPOptimizer which allegedly helps guide on settings but I found it confusing, so there may be better alternatives.
June 21, 2010 3:10:26 AM

I will run a check on that tomorrow. It just seems strange that it would limit like that when I have seen it hit over 2Mb/s downloading files on a T3. If the NIC has decided to go bad, I wont buy a PCI one. The PC is too old and still has IRQs and I don't feel like messing with that.

If anything I will just wait till I can afford to build a new one for her or for me and give her my old one.

I will also try that MTU settings stuff see if that helps. Will have to do it tomorrow though since she is using it now.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2010 12:02:28 AM

Best answer selected by jimmysmitty.
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:03:04 AM

Well TCPOptimizer seemed to do the trick. I tried to do it manually via the Registry (my guess is that the MTU was set too low) but the MTU entry was not where it should have been so I gave that program a try.

It set the MTU to 1500 (the max) and bam. It now downloads at about 4MB/s which is what my PC has been getting to as well.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
Anonymous
June 27, 2010 6:44:57 AM

actualu i m not getng what mtu is...where exactly it is located..
please do rply
i m suffring by the same problm
m
l
Anonymous
June 27, 2010 6:48:14 AM

is router or switch is the same thing.. if its not then wats d difrence..
plz rply
thnkx.........
m
l
Anonymous
June 27, 2010 1:01:08 PM

MTU is about the maximum throughput allowed -- too high and the system can choke causing slow downs and too low is lust plain slow. MTU settings can be changed in the router and in Windows. Google for more info.
m
l
!